Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Reasons for not giving up smoking

Was just reading the vaping thread and someone saying its an addition and cannot be a metal issue as well which got me thinking.

What's some of the reasons current smokers or reformed guys use/used to justify not giving up; I had some pearlers.

If I stop:

I can't shit

I'll be in a bad mood.

I won't be able to drink with my mates

It keeps my lungs warm during winter (this was my favourite)

It stops me getting coughs/flu

I'm sure there's better ones out there.

I did and not long after ended up with RA. I am sure quitting smoking did this.

BUT

I had to as my sphenoidal sinuses were getting eaten away by constant infection caused by guess what? :028::025::033:

Quit in 2009 and have NEVER looked back.

WILL POWER

I smoked the ol' Winnie Blu's from 18 to 36 and during that time I had the "odd" occasion to visit a pub or friends places over the weekend.

I had this theory of why I woke up the next morning with the headache/nausea/guts crook so I blamed it on the ciggys, surely couldn't have been the alcohol:o

Now bear in mind, being an ol' fart, back in the early 70's and then 80's smoking was totally "in", non-smokers were looked at as socially different if that's the phrase.

There where times in Epping pub on a Friday night you had to use braille to find your way to the toilet, the smoke was that thick. In fact you didn't need to light up, just tilt your head back and suck in all the free nicotine you can on the way to the trough.

Now the theory;

At the time, when you drank with your friends at the pub you tended to have a few more ciggy's than you normally would. The longer the night, the more ciggy's you'd have.

Now, here's the rationale.

On a big night then after having had all those ciggys (and a couple of beers;)) with every ciggy you were robbing your lungs of Oxygen. Times that by bulk amount of people in the same bar you were lucky you got any oxygen at all.

The blood going to your brain needs oxygen in the cells to help rejuvenate and its got no chance if it's tainted with low oxygen levels.

You therefore end up with a headache/nausea etc. because of the ciggy's robbing your lungs of precious oxygen. The alcohol consumed is not the chief culprit:)

I smoked the ol' Winnie Blu's from 18 to 36 and during that time I had the "odd" occasion to visit a pub or friends places over the weekend.

I had this theory of why I woke up the next morning with the headache/nausea/guts crook so I blamed it on the ciggys, surely couldn't have been the alcohol:o

Now bear in mind, being an ol' fart, back in the early 70's and then 80's smoking was totally "in", non-smokers were looked at as socially different if that's the phrase.

There where times in Epping pub on a Friday night you had to use braille to find your way to the toilet, the smoke was that thick. In fact you didn't need to light up, just tilt your head back and suck in all the free nicotine you can on the way to the trough.

Now the theory;

At the time, when you drank with your friends at the pub you tended to have a few more ciggy's than you normally would. The longer the night, the more ciggy's you'd have.

Now, here's the rationale.

On a big night then after having had all those ciggys (and a couple of beers;)) with every ciggy you were robbing your lungs of Oxygen. Times that by bulk amount of people in the same bar you were lucky you got any oxygen at all.

The blood going to your brain needs oxygen in the cells to help rejuvenate and its got no chance if it's tainted with low oxygen levels.

You therefore end up with a headache/nausea etc. because of the ciggy's robbing your lungs of precious oxygen. The alcohol consumed is not the chief culprit:)

And you're sticking to that Dr Railways lol

As a reformed smoker, I cant stand getting into a smokers car, they cant smell it, but it makes me feel sick.

Never knew all those years I smoked I was coating the inside of my car with stinky nicotine.

My brother in law smokes in his car, the grey hood lining is now a yellow/brown colour, as is the steering wheel, it smells heavily of smoke and I always say ill take my car.

As for legit reasons not to give up smokes there is none.

You can always use the top ten

[TABLE=width: 83%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%][TABLE=width: 685]

[TR]

[TD=width: 681]10. That lighter comes in handy for birthday candles.

9. Your ex-spouse wanted you to quit and you won't give him/her the satisfaction.

8. The occasional holes in your clothes give you a needed excuse to shop

7. Philip Morris needs that money more than you do.

6. Those extra wrinkles give you that "mature" look.

5. The smell on your coat makes it easy to pick it out of a pile at a party.

4. If not for the smoking you'd be perfect, and nobody likes a perfect person.

3. If your sense of smell came back you'd have to do something about that litter box.

2. You wouldn't get any exercise at all if you didn't run outside the building every hour for a cigarette.

1. That rattle when you breathe reassures you that you're still alive.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by prktkljokr

When I used to smoke, ciggies were $10 for a pack of 20s of the fancy brand I smoked, Peter Stuyvesant. I quit smoking when it started to climb up to $14-$15 a pack. They are now up to $25 a pack. That's just nuts.

I have to admit, the government taxes certainly did help me quit. I know a lot of people think it's bullshit, but it worked for me.

• Administrators
Was just reading the vaping thread and someone saying its an addition and cannot be a metal issue as well which got me thinking.

What's some of the reasons current smokers or reformed guys use/used to justify not giving up; I had some pearlers.

If I stop:

I can't shit

I'll be in a bad mood.

I won't be able to drink with my mates

It keeps my lungs warm during winter (this was my favourite)

It stops me getting coughs/flu

I'm sure there's better ones out there.

Well how would the many I see each morning on the way to work throw their butts out the window?

It's that bad I'm considering a dashcam so I can submit the footage to that government website. Filthy ****ers. I don't care of you smoke but ash that shit and use your ashtray. If your new car doesn't have one maybe its telling you something

Brad

When I used to smoke, ciggies were $10 for a pack of 20s of the fancy brand I smoked, Peter Stuyvesant. I quit smoking when it started to climb up to $14-$15 a pack. They are now up to $25 a pack. That's just nuts.

Gees I remember for $5 you could get a packet of winnie blue, a can of coke and a paper note as change, I gave up when they were $12 a pack and you paid with plastic :)

I have to admit, the government taxes certainly did help me quit. I know a lot of people think it's bullshit, but it worked for me.

Styvos! the problem with them was everyone wanted to bum them off you cause they were a bit fancy.

i gave up 13 years back at 38 on the rollies after smoking since high school and a heap of tries over the years to give up. what did it for me was meeting and settling down with the right woman, a non-smoker. i never smoked around her as i was so keen, then spending so much time together, found i was hardly ever smoking, so chucked it in. She saved my lungs.

Reasons for not giving up smoking: you really think you are better off burning your money, turning it into poison and ingesting it :)

Yep I smoke. My only vice and let me tell you what pisses me off the most.

Someone fat saying "just give up".

Really, just go from cigarettes to nothing is your advice and here is you with your excess weight unable to simply reduce your "addition", not give up, simply cut back and you can't do that.

These are the biggest hypocrites I my eyes with the most worthless advice quite odiously unable to practice what they preach.

God help them if they ever needed to give something up entirely.

I remember the days when a pack of 25 Black & white were only 50 cents From the fish N chip shop that was full of EM,s

I didnt know how much smokers stink till I gave up. Now when I go to my friends house I need to change clothes when I get home coz I keep smelling the smoke in my clothes.

Hard to kick the habit but well worth it in many ways

Cold turkey worked & the 1st 2 weeks are the hardest

Dont miss that little constant cough , cough

Really, just go from cigarettes to nothing is your advice and here is you with your excess weight unable to simply reduce your "addition", not give up, simply cut back and you can't do that.

These are the biggest hypocrites I my eyes with the most worthless advice quite odiously unable to practice what they preach.

Kinda understand your logic but unfortunately for fat people everyone eats and they have to eat to stay alive. Smokers don't need the gear to live. So to quit smoking you have to stop completely not half arsed. Over eaters have to consume the very problem they consume too much of.

But yes I agree one should get their house in order before judging others and offering advice. But maybe the fatty was a smoker and was telling you how they gave up one of their problems??

Well how would the many I see each morning on the way to work throw their butts out the window?

It's that bad I'm considering a dashcam so I can submit the footage to that government website. Filthy ****ers. I don't care of you smoke but ash that shit and use your ashtray. If your new car doesn't have one maybe its telling you something

Brad

When they do it while I’m walking down the street and they’re stopped at the crossing, I pick them up and throw them back in their car. They don’t like it a lot.:rolleyes

I am not fat, but I do sort of think this is a little offensive, ok they may be overweight, there are many reasons for peoples weight, medical etc, but there is no reason to smoke, there are no proven benefits to smoke, but there are benefits to eat.

I don't know you personally, but I would say to you "Just give it up", not to be a smart ass, just because I would like to see you to be a member of this forum for a long time, and not want to hear of your early untimely passing.

• Administrators
When they do it while I’m walking down the street and they’re stopped at the crossing, I pick them up and throw them back in their car. They don’t like it a lot.:rolleyes

:lol perfect

My favorite one as a past smoker was going out and then going some where for a smoke, and some people who couldnt mind their own business while drinking coming upto you telling you how smoking was a filthy habit, while stumbling around, slurring words, breathing their vomit smelling alcohol breath on you, holding you up for an hour on a drunken rant telling you the Philosophy of life and about how your ruining your life. lol

I think honestly people should mind their own business, every one has their vice

Im a none drinker, Its not my place to preach to drinkers they should quit drinking as its legal and they have a right todo so and same with smoking, and honestly Its not my place to judge or any one elses.

as for topic, comes down the individual as to why they dont quit smoking and mostly likely similar reasons as to why people dont quite drinking or other drugs, its hard to quit and it is enjoyable would be the most likely reasons

Edited by jason1

In this day and age what we know about the effects of smoking I have to say you must be crazy to still be smoking, even the makers of cigarettes put graphic pictures and warnings on their own product telling you that it is going to kill you.

If you want a good cure to stop smoking go have a visit to the cancer wards at some of the hospitals that are treating the people that are dying from the effects of years of smoking.

Sorry to be so blunt but smoking is a big pet hate of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk