Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Administrators

Another instance of checking an unfinished project off my list. I still have the pinball to go but this one is easy and that one is hard 😉 This one should be real quick.

I bought this ArcadeWorx cab of @namastepat back in February. It's surprisingly large, taking up a lot of space on my garage floor so time to get it working and sitting somewhere else.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/92614-Arcadeworx-Bartop-cabinet-with-19-inch-monitor-75?highlight=bartop

Cabs is a little banged up with a few nicks but over all pretty good.

spacer.png

All black and I love the Space Invaders cut-outs in the marquee area.

spacer.png

So I thought I'd continue with the Space Invaders theme and keep the cab Black and Red. It didn't hurt that I had a pack of both red and black buttons 😉 I'd also bought a power supply and jamma harness to match the Pandora 4S I bought back in April.

spacer.png

I installed the buttons and joysticks. Will need to check the controls for the Pandora to see if I need the other 3 holes. I'll use what I need and try to find some of those caps to cover any not used. Also the top row holes are smaller than the player button holes 😞

The P1 and P2 buttons I used (STD size) will never come out again LOL!

spacer.png

Installed speakers inside the audio cut-outs.

spacer.png

The IEC socket I have is not round like the hole that had been cut out 😞

Traced around and then did a little free-styling with my jigsaw. The flange on the socket hides the shoddiness 😄

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wired mains socket, power supply and jamma harness power. I then fired it up to see if smoke would come out. Success!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Damn I love how fast these Pandora's boot up unlike those shitty 60-1 jobs.

It was getting late so I'll finish wiring in the joysticks and buttons next weekend. One last thing was to mount the fan cover into the top. The Alien one I had suits the theme.

spacer.png

With the top cut-out I've love to put in some acrylic and then an LED strip that swipes from left to right. Not sure how I'd do that but lit up red and sliding across would be awesome.

I also need to source some black t-molding as the control panel strip is missing.

I am bummed its a widescreen monitor but the bezel was cut to match and the screen came with it so I can't complain.

Cheers,

Brad

• Administrators
Hey Brad, what size T-moulding do you need?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hi John,

I'll need to measure it when I get home. Cab is MDF and appears to be 16mm but I'll double check. Thanks a bunch =)

Cheers,

Brad

With the top cut-out I've love to put in some acrylic and then an LED strip that swipes from left to right. Not sure how I'd do that but lit up red and sliding across would be awesome.

Excellent machine you have made there sir. Makes me want to finish off my TouchMaster bartop project.:cry

Something like this for the LED strip?.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Red-30CM-32-Led-Knight-Rider-Flash-Strobe-Scanner-Neon-Strip-Light-DIY-/121723108926

• Administrators
Excellent machine you have made there sir. Makes me want to finish off my TouchMaster bartop project.:cry

Something like this for the LED strip?.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Red-30CM-32-Led-Knight-Rider-Flash-Strobe-Scanner-Neon-Strip-Light-DIY-/121723108926

Yeah I've been looking at something like that. I could also setup an Arduino or similiar but seems overkill imo. I DO have an LEDWiz sitting here doing nothing so possibly wire up some LEDS behind a coloured plexi. Certainly a few options but I don't want to sink too much dollars into what essentially is a small gimmick. I just think it would look cool ;)

brad

Yeah I've been looking at something like that. I could also setup an Arduino or similiar but seems overkill imo. I DO have an LEDWiz sitting here doing nothing so possibly wire up some LEDS behind a coloured plexi. Certainly a few options but I don't want to sink too much dollars into what essentially is a small gimmick. I just think it would look cool ;)

brad

A simple LED Chaser should do the trick, something like this.

o1o4QwT.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

• Administrators
I have an off cut of 19mm smooth that you're welcome to Brad.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Thanks John. Happy to take it off your hands!

Cheers,

Brad

- - - Updated - - -

A simple LED Chaser should donthe trick, something like this.

o1o4QwT.jpg

Yep thanks for that!

Something along these lines is what I was looking at except I'd buy it. The above is way above my skill level and I reckon could source something retail on ebay for similiar dollars?

Cheers,

Brad

I'm happy to knock up the circuit on Vero for if you want to go that way.

Total cost of components is $4 and around $1.30ea for 10MM Red LEDs from Jaycar, will run on 9-12v and you can connect more than one LED per output.

Edited by Kaizen

• Administrators
I'm happy to knock up the circuit on Vero for if you want to go that way.

Total cost of components is $4 and around $1.30ea for 10MM Red LEDs from Jaycar, will run on 9-12v and you can connect more than one LED per output.

Damn that would be awesome Kaizen and very generous of your time. If you have the time PM me with what you need, money, measurements etc

Cheers,

Brad

How's this look?

When the pot is in the middle position the duration is around 1 second and can be varied from 4 seconds up to 'fast'.

The triple LED strips seem bright enough and if needed you can add a second one for each section.

• Administrators

It looks awesome!

I've just finished wiring up the cab, mounting the monitor, PSU and Cart. Just some tidy ups, mount the door then I can add this unit. It's going to look fantastic! Thanks again mate

Brad

• Administrators

Update:

Finished connecting up the jamma harness to all of the player controls. I then mounted the monitor. I created a bottom rail and attached a piece of angle the hold the monitor in place. I then used some metal strapping to hold the top in place. Easily removed with a screw in each corner.

spacer.png

I then fixed the PSU and Pandora into the base, tidied the harness with cable ties and used brackets to attach to side. Actually took this photo before tidying and mounting harness

spacer.png

Here is is all fired up. The Pandora has a couple of annoyances though. The games list are not sorted alphabetically and you have sequels pages before original etc. Also they included Ms Pacman but it scaled to the widescreen and plays super fast. No doubt there are others so I disabled that game. A bit of reading and it seems it may be an SD card running xmame so I might take it apart, image it and see if I can tweak it somewhat. Others games that I've looked at run really well.

I definitely would not put a 60-1 or one of these in a full cab. PC all the way imo. They're just handy for small spaces.

spacer.png

Attached the back door.

spacer.png

Still need to fit the barrel lock, the light panel that Kaizen has kindly built for me and then I'm going to do up some Space Invaders themed artwork to finish it off.

Cheers,

Brad

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Its been a while but I've been pretty busy and lacked a little motivation. @Kaizen dropped his circuit off to me at least a month ago along with a strip of opaque red perspex. Thanks again mate, truly appreciated!

As the perspex was see through I needed to block it out so that the lights and wires were not visible when lit up. I looked at a few things and ended testing AND going with some heavy duty tracing paper/plastic. An off-cut from a large sheet @illawarra_steelers sent me for my EM restore. I affixed it and did a little test and it worked perfectly!

I then lengthened a few of the wires in the circuit and screwed each of the 4 light arrays onto a piece of 3 ply. So the perspex is hard up against the space invaders cut-outs and the light mounted ply is horizontal behind it. I have angled it up somewhat using a scrap piece of timber so that the lights are brighter without individual LEDs strobing though the perspex. I think it looks excellent! I will need to trim some of the tape I used to fix the paper as it's slightly encroaching on the bottom.

Now I just need to create/order some artwork, affix the t-moulding @Johns-Arcade sent me and the cab I bought from @namastepat will be complete.

Look at how awesome our little community is. 4 different members have helped me create this little project. Thanks again guys :cool:

Cheers,

Brad