Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Melbourne Matchplay, 11-14 October 2018

The fourth annual Melbourne Matchplay Pinball Championship will take place on October 11-14 at the Argonauts Arcade, upstairs at the Golden Fleece Hotel in South Melbourne.

The main event will use a Target Matchplay format. The goal is to get to 50 points. The first 16 players to reach this target qualify for the finals.

The Greg Berry Junior Cup for under-16s is back for another year, and there will also be three open side tournaments. There are trophies for the top 4 and cash prizes for the top 10 in each open event.

All tournaments endorsed by the International Flipper Pinball Association. All participants will receive World Pinball Player Rankings points.

---------------------------------------------------------

Event #1 - Thursday 11/10 7:00pm - Keefer Strikes ($20 entry)

The hot new format on the block. 4-player groups. 0 strikes for 1st, 1 strike for 2nd/3rd, 2 strikes for last. Players are eliminated after taking 6 strikes.

Event #2 - Friday 12/10 12:00pm - Argonauts Pinball Open ($25 entry)

Single-player qualifying, open from 12pm-8:45pm. Each player plays their choice of 15 machines. Players are encouraged to get their games in as early as possible to avoid any late rush, though I expect anyone arriving by 6:30pm should be able to get through their games in time. 100-97-95-94... scoring on each machine. Top 20 players advance to finals at 9pm. The finals will use a head-to-head strikes format. Players will receive a different number of lives depending on their qualifying position: 1st-2nd: 5 lives; 3rd-6th: 4 lives; 7th-12th: 3 lives; 13th-20th: 2 lives.

Event #3 - Saturday 12:00pm - Melbourne Matchplay Championship ($40 entry)

Target Matchplay, in randomly assigned 4-player groups. 7-4-2-0 scoring (7-3-0 in any 3-player groups). The first 16 players to reach or surpass 50 points qualify for the finals. Once players reach the target, they no longer participate in qualifying. Groups will be redrawn after every match.

The first player to reach 50 points will be asked to choose a bank of machines, which will be removed from the Melbourne Matchplay Championship Finals, and used in the Greg Berry Junior Cup.

Finals will commence at 10:30am on Sunday. 3 rounds of finals in 4-player groups.

Round 1: A.1v8v9v16 B.2v7v10v15 C.3v6v11v14 D.4v5v12v13

Round 2: E.A1vB2vC2vD1 F.A2vB1vC1vD2

Grand Final: E1vE2vF1vF2

4 games per round on 4 different machines. 7-4-2-0 scoring.

Top two from each group in rounds 1 and 2 advance to the next round. In round 1, the top qualifier in each group gets to "drive the bus", i.e. gets choice of machine or playing position for each game.

In later rounds, the two players in each group who advanced by winning their group in the previous round get two game/position choices each.

There will be free practice sessions from 11am-12pm on Saturday, and 10am-10:30am on Sunday.

Event #4 - Saturday 8:00pm - Stall Ball ($15 entry)

The Pinburgh sensation comes to Melbourne Matchplay! Rules here: http://stallball.club

4-strikes tournament in 4-player groups. 2nd/3rd/4th all take a strike.

Event #5 - Sunday 1:00pm - Greg Berry Junior Cup. Free entry. Under 16s only.

Each player will play a single-player qualifying game on each of four machines, followed by best-of-3 semi finals (1v4, 2v3) and finals.

Medals for all players, and trophies for the top 3.

------------------------------------------------------

Registration is now open! Payment can be made in cash to Luke at any tournament in Melbourne, or via bank transfer. Players are also welcome to register and pay on the day, subject to capacity.

Acct name: Luke Marburg

Bank: ING

BSB: 923100

Acct number: 32889773

If paying by bank transfer, please include your name and the number(s) of the event(s) you wish to register for in the reference field.

Players who provide a pinball machine for the competition will be given a free entry into Event #3 .

100% of entry fees returned as cash prizes and trophies.

Edited by LCM

• 2 weeks later...
Mate, I think you're a bit old for the Greg Berry JUNIOR Cup [emoji38]
He he. I'm taking a punt I'm lucky enough to get into the finals.

Keen for a Sunday arvo/night comp though if anyone want to organise.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

So i'm starting to plan my travel for this, and wondering if there are any other local events planned on adjacent dates? I haven't been around Melbourne in a while, so i have forgotten what days bayside and pixel alley, etc are holding their events currently.

I'll head to NZ for the Southern Hemisphere pinball whateverthingie by the weekend after, but if there is something on Tuesday, i could probably be convinced to stick around for it. (especially since it seems the nonstops to Auckland on Monday are weirdly expensive??)

Also, is there any deadline to reserve a place or send money or whatever? Please let us know if the guest list is filling up!

So i'm starting to plan my travel for this, and wondering if there are any other local events planned on adjacent dates? I haven't been around Melbourne in a while, so i have forgotten what days bayside and pixel alley, etc are holding their events currently.

I'll head to NZ for the Southern Hemisphere pinball whateverthingie by the weekend after, but if there is something on Tuesday, i could probably be convinced to stick around for it. (especially since it seems the nonstops to Auckland on Monday are weirdly expensive??)

Also, is there any deadline to reserve a place or send money or whatever? Please let us know if the guest list is filling up!

Someone correct me if I've got any of these wrong:

Argonauts is first Thursday of the month.

Peacock inn is second Thursday of the month (except in November?).

Pinball Paradise is third Wednesday of the month.

Pixel Alley is forth Tuesday of the month.

Bayside is last Thursday of the month.

You can check what's been submitted to the ifpa on their calendar: https://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/

And there's a Facebook group for Melbourne tournaments that tends to have up to date info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/474348286316372/

Edited by ajfclark

Well, interestingly, the Melbourne Matchplay is not on the IFPA calendar yet. But Peacock Inn is listed there for the 11th. So my post was both to bump this topic, and to try to confirm whether Peacock will still be going on, or if it's just the Thursday matchplay event instead. Or if there are any others that aren't IFPA'd yet.

The Melbourne pinball facebook page (which i actually had to join in order to express my interest in the matchplay event on facebook - even though Luke had actually invited me directly to the event according to my facebook notification) doesn't have anything listed in the event calendar as for October except Melbourne Matchplay yet.

So i'll keep checking back on those, and here too, until my plans are finalized. thanks!

http://pinballscore.com

Sent from your mums iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Well, interestingly, the Melbourne Matchplay is not on the IFPA calendar yet. But Peacock Inn is listed there for the 11th. So my post was both to bump this topic, and to try to confirm whether Peacock will still be going on, or if it's just the Thursday matchplay event instead. Or if there are any others that aren't IFPA'd yet.

The Melbourne pinball facebook page (which i actually had to join in order to express my interest in the matchplay event on facebook - even though Luke had actually invited me directly to the event according to my facebook notification) doesn't have anything listed in the event calendar as for October except Melbourne Matchplay yet.

So i'll keep checking back on those, and here too, until my plans are finalized. thanks!

The regular Peacock event will be pushed back a week, to the 18th. There aren't currently any other tournaments scheduled in Melbourne in the week following Matchplay.

There's no strict deadline for payment. I'm happy to reserve a place for anyone travelling for the event.

Love the old/mid/new setup too, but because of the target match play structure we'll be switching up the groups after each game.

Machines will include:

Medieval Madness Remake

Dialed In

Tommy

Indy 500

Phoenix

The Shadow

Metallica LE

Star Trek Next Gen

Bally Playboy

Jack*Bot

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note for all this lucky enough to make the Sunday final, the Melbourne Marathon Festival is held on Sunday, October 14th, 2018 (https://www.melbournemarathon.com.au) and for those of you in South Eastern suburbs or interstate, there will be a load of road closures in and around the MCG, CBD, St. Kilda, Beaconsfield Parade (between Port Melbourne and Elwood) See the map on the website for more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 3 weeks later...