Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Compaq Presario 5000

Pentium III Compaq clean up time today.

I pulled it totally apart and gave it a thorough clean, installed a 40Gb hard drive and Windows XP (because I don't have a 20Gb hdd or Windows ME) and it lives. It has all the original components apart from the 40Gb hard drive which I think should be 20Gb. It even has the restore disks.[emoji16]

f1e7cb981b26cb7c40eb0f7f8e9e04ca.jpg2436c5bd6450cbb69e028f679365945b.jpgf4380c61d0dfb312794cf2cca9203da0.jpg461fa73465c33f67edbf6f55837fadf0.jpg

If anyone knows where I can get a keyboard, monitor and speakers like the ones shown below please let me know.5dba62c258f12227139794aa85b35292.jpg

The monitor I'm chasing at Ipswich is the right one but we cant get in touch with the seller.[emoji852]

Cheers Trev.9478b981955162eea954f0615937fb41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've never seen one with a built in CD holder on the front behind a panel like that. That's actually a great idea! People would always lose their recovery disks. We have an entire shed full of rubbish old PCs like this at work just rotting away.

I've never seen one with a built in CD holder on the front behind a panel like that. That's actually a great idea! People would always lose their recovery disks. We have an entire shed full of rubbish old PCs like this at work just rotting away.

I think that's the only reason that the recovery disks are still there.

Have you got a monitor and keyboard to suit in that shed?[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
i know im 3 months late to this thread but you don't need windows me with the recovery discs windows me is already on there just boot disc 1and follow the on screen instructions. these are really good machines i have 2 of these and a SFF version odd that yours didn't come with a dvd Rom drive both of mine did and both drives still work to this day. if your still looking for parts i do have a spare one of those keyboards its yellowed but if you do abit of retro brite 3-4 hours in the sun its good as new.

It's never too late.

Hi @Antec713

Unfortunately I didn't get the original hdd with it so I can't do a restore. I'd really appreciate the keyboard though. If you could pm me your details and maybe a picture I'm sure we can work something out.

I did manage to find a pair of speakers but I'm still looking for a monitor.

I also need the small plastic piece that goes on the top of the case if you have a spare that'd be awesome.

Cheers Trev 26b7c343a49f40dc900769e0444e9cd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

you don't need the original drive any 20gb ide will do fine the quick restore program on the cd will format and re partition the drive for you do you have the full 2 disc recovery set or just the one cd ? as for the plastic piece mine don't have them either went missing years ago as for a monitor i don't have a spare one handy but there's plenty of them in the u.s if you were to get one from there you'll need to buy a conversion power strip to run it.

you don't need the original drive any 20gb ide will do fine the quick restore program on the cd will format and re partition the drive for you do you have the full 2 disc recovery set or just the one cd ? as for the plastic piece mine don't have them either went missing years ago as for a monitor i don't have a spare one handy but there's plenty of them in the u.s if you were to get one from there you'll need to buy a conversion power strip to run it.
Cool. I have two recovery cds with mine. I did try one of the cds but it didn't work. I can't remember exactly what it did but I'll be in the shed tomorrow and can check. Is it an issue that I've got a 40gb hdd in it at the moment or does it need to be 20gb?

Thanks for your help by the way.

well it could be i never tried a hdd any higher then the original 20gb the original drive died bought a new 20gb drive and through the cds in and it reinstalled everything that could be the problem not 100% sure ill shoot you a pm about the keyboard.

- - - Updated - - -

lol best cases ever made i say:laugh:

• Administrators
Your user name made me laugh as I've just finished cleaning an old Antec 902 V3 pc case that was given to me last week.296dca1dd4232734a428e2e7a2896d59.jpg45f2af770201fb216b415090fb97d2a7.jpg

Hmmm, seems familiar. Sitting on my office floor as we speak

20181211_144735.thumb.jpg.5cca3ffcfe9e0947dc2ceb6f6c2059ab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
glad i could help. and thanks for the copy of the quick restore cds! its definitely not easy with a blank hdd had to speak to one of my dads mates who was a Compaq technician back in the day and gave me the special commands for writing the recovery to a blank hard drive but it will be a lot easier in the future doing factory recovery just do it through the cd and press 4 as the recovery partition system_sav is restored to the hdd.