Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cocktail Cabinet - joystick registering issue

delarge

Question

Hi all,

Someone contacted me about their cocktail cabinet and one of the joysticks not registering when they push it in a certain direction. This is an intermittent problem. I'm not an arcade guy, but I have a Konami cocktail cabinet and a candy cab. From a mechanical point of view, it sounds like it may have a dodgy microswitch? If this is the case when I have a look at it, are these arcade microswitches universal? With pinball,I just refer to the manual for the part number.

Have attached images of the cocktail cab below.

Thanks!

Adam.

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hi all,

Someone contacted me about their cocktail cabinet and one of the joysticks not registering when they push it in a certain direction. This is an intermittent problem. I'm not an arcade guy, but I have a Konami cocktail cabinet and a candy cab. From a mechanical point of view, it sounds like it may have a dodgy microswitch? If this is the case when I have a look at it, are these arcade microswitches universal? With pinball,I just refer to the manual for the part number.

Have attached images of the cocktail cab below.

Thanks!

Adam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133990[/ATTACH]

Sometimes the zippys get loose and the restrictor plate underneath (if its on it) stops it from activating the microswitch

If its there either take it off or make the opening larger and see if that works

The picture shows the restrictor plate off the joystick

r plate on zippy.jpg

Thanks for the tip. That's awesome too. I didn't want to go round to the person's house and fumble around in front of them. Some good advice so I know what the problem could be. Won't hurt to have the switch up my sleeve as well.

Well, it turned into a bigger job than anticipated. Ended up bringing the machine home with me.

I own an old Konami cocktail cabinet with a Frogger board in it. From my memories as a kid, it took a beating and was fairly responsive.

Flash forward to this new machine with the cloned games....I had a test game on Frogger and sometimes I'd hit left and it wasn't very responsive at all....but I don't think it is the actual switch itself. Is this a problem that you need to live with when using these emulated boards? I'm going to do more testing before I take it back to the owner. I don't think changing the switch will make any difference.

Incidentally, I bought two replacement switches and the leaf part isn't included. Is it just a simple swap over to the new one?

Cheers!

Adam.

Well, it turned into a bigger job than anticipated. Ended up bringing the machine home with me.

I own an old Konami cocktail cabinet with a Frogger board in it. From my memories as a kid, it took a beating and was fairly responsive.

Flash forward to this new machine with the cloned games....I had a test game on Frogger and sometimes I'd hit left and it wasn't very responsive at all....but I don't think it is the actual switch itself. Is this a problem that you need to live with when using these emulated boards? I'm going to do more testing before I take it back to the owner. I don't think changing the switch will make any difference.

Incidentally, I bought two replacement switches and the leaf part isn't included. Is it just a simple swap over to the new one?

Cheers!

Adam.

Change the micro switch anyway. Micros very rarely fail all together. They start out failing every 100 or so operations and get progressively worse.

They also can go out of adjustment requiring them to be pushed further in to operate reliably.

Seeing it is a customers machine I would replace the micro as a minimum, check the common ground wire to that switch and the activation wire, ( pull on the wire to check the crimp lug is reliable), and lastly take off the game board connector, ( turn machine off first), and using your clean thumb and finger wipe the board's edge connector before reinstalling it and retesting.

Change the micro switch anyway. Micros very rarely fail all together. They start out failing every 100 or so operations and get progressively worse.

They also can go out of adjustment requiring them to be pushed further in to operate reliably.

Seeing it is a customers machine I would replace the micro as a minimum, check the common ground wire to that switch and the activation wire, ( pull on the wire to check the crimp lug is reliable), and lastly take off the game board connector, ( turn machine off first), and using your clean thumb and finger wipe the board's edge connector before reinstalling it and retesting.

Thank you, kindly! Will follow your advice when I get stuck in tomorrow afternoon.

Last question....the new switches don't have the metal leaf switch part included. Can I just remove this from the existing switch?

Cheers!

Adam.

Thank you, kindly! Will follow your advice when I get stuck in tomorrow afternoon.

Last question....the new switches don't have the metal leaf switch part included. Can I just remove this from the existing switch?

Cheers!

Adam.

I've only seem one type that can be either leaf or no leaf and the leaf attachment used the micro mounting screws to hold the leaf.

I suspect you will need micros with the leaf attached. Just be aware the leafs do come in different lengths.

Thanks everyone for the help. Replaced all four switches in each joystick and the machine played like brand new. Will have to do the same for my old cocktail cabinet when I finally put it all back together.

Cheers!

Adam.