Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Xbox 360 fat and 360S red ring of death

I did a bit of research on Xbox issues before I powered the 360 up so I kind of knew what I was going to find if there was a fault.

Yep it had the red ring of death showing three red segments in the ring. Apparently and I haven't proved this is the issue with my console yet but this is usually due to faulty solder joints on the cpu and gpu that is caused by overheating.

The remedy is to reflow the chips, some people do the whole board with a heat gun but I'll be getting a hot air rework station and just do the two main chips. I'll also replace the thermal compound on the heatsinks.

I haven't been able to check the Xbox 360s yet as I didn't get a psu with it so that one will have to wait.

Cheers Trev.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you have steady hands and good eyes a soldering iron with an extremely fine tip can do the job. Guessing it's crazy fine pitch though so maybe better off waiting on the hot air gun.
I'll wait.[emoji6]

If you have steady hands and good eyes a soldering iron with an extremely fine tip can do the job. Guessing it's crazy fine pitch though so maybe better off waiting on the hot air gun.

Are the chips in question not BGA like on the ps3?

Very interested in following the progress of this, my 360 has the red rings of death. How much for a hot air station?
I think Jaycar have one for around $150 so you'd want to use it for more than just this.

Handy for heat shrinking too.

Great for SMD work, I prefer using mine over an iron for soldering down tiny SMD caps and resistors.

JayCar one isn't bad but better ones can be found on eBay for half the price. The 2in1's are nice, handy to have an iron nearby sometimes.

Personally when attempting to 'reflow' BGA chips using hot air i've had very mixed results but it usually doesn't last very long or didn't on the PS3s I did, having said that though i've read stories online of people reflowing using as little as a hairdryer although I dare say that is just down to chance rather than precision.

I'd probably of had more luck if I invested in something more dedicated like this

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Stations-Machine-Infrared-Station/dp/B07C1LNPF9/ref=sr_1_17?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1533545886&sr=1-17&keywords=bga+rework

or even this would be an improvement, underside preheater and mount for the hotair blower

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-X-Tronic-5040-XR3-Soldering-Preheater/dp/B019LQ5YUE/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1533545886&sr=1-4&keywords=bga+rework&dpID=51P8AnKdx1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Reflowing SMD stuff is fine with hot air it's just the BGA stuff with the solder on the underside I struggled with. I would of invested in something decent if I was going to do more then dabble, hot air was enough to get an old fat PS3 working long enough to copy the encrypted data of the HDD.

• Administrators

I gave up on my 360 it was just like pushing shit up hill. It's well documented that these things have major overheating issues. I repaired mine several times and put one of those fancy heat sinks on the cpu but it would last a month at best. The problem with mine was the rams separating from heat however I don't have the equipment or patience to remove them and reflow.

Good luck getting yours going.

I gave up on my 360 it was just like pushing shit up hill. It's well documented that these things have major overheating issues. I repaired mine several times and put one of those fancy heat sinks on the cpu but it would last a month at best. The problem with mine was the rams separating from heat however I don't have the equipment or patience to remove them and reflow.

Good luck getting yours going.

Price and amount of secondhand ones these days they are a throw away console

I knew someone had put it up before, just couldn't remember who, or what the thread was about :)

There were two in quick succession. One using the bulb directly: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/91532-Ghetto-Reflow-with-car-halogen-bulbs

The other uses a halogen floodlamp as a reflow oven in a slightly more controlled manner: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/92766-Halogen-floodlight-reflow-oven

i've read stories online of people reflowing using as little as a hairdryer although I dare say that is just down to chance rather than precision.

Back when we were first getting these problems with the 360 some people were wrapping their 360s up in towels with some success.

Back when we were first getting these problems with the 360 some people were wrapping their 360s up in towels with some success.

I was actually going to say that but couldnt remember if it was true or not given how absurd it sounds