Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PS3 black screen

Also in the pile of gear I got the other day was a PS3 that only booted to a black screen. This too required a bit of Google Fu.

I found that if the unit has been used on hdmi and as I was using AV for the video mode it had to be reset to AV. To do this you:

Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds (or until it beeps) to reset the settings.

This worked fine and the console booted but was making a loud ticking noise that turned out to be the fan so I've stripped the machine and ordered a replacement fan.

That's as far as I've got with it for now apart from giving it a clean.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah cool, was going to say if it's the fat you definitely want to do the fan mod so it cuts in prior to the thing going into meltdown.

Putting custom firmware on it?

I haven't got that far. I'm pretty new to this console gear but I'm learning heaps.

I can send you some details/links if you like. The ps3 is end of life now and I can't imagine there being much online worth playing on it.

The only feature of custom firmware I use is the ability to install all games onto the HDD much better, might even be able to change bluray region as well which would be handy but not tried that yet.

I can send you some details/links if you like. The ps3 is end of life now and I can't imagine there being much online worth playing on it.

The only feature of custom firmware I use is the ability to install all games onto the HDD much better, might even be able to change bluray region as well which would be handy but not tried that yet.

If you can post the links that'd be great thanks.

I used this guide with mine but looks like it has been update since then (ver 2.0) and depending on the model of slim you have it may not work anyway.

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3xploit-now-install-cfw-from-4-82-ofw-nor-nand-software-flash-writer-nor-dumper-released.15500/

This firmware is on it now

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-82-1-cobra-7-54-lite-toolbox-2-02-15-dec-4th-2017/

but I only use the iso/install to HDD functionality and will use the bluray region free in the future