Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My new buddy.

As some would know a couple of months ago my dog "Jasper" died of old age (14 years old). I didn't think I'd find a new dog so soon but I heard about a group called Australian working dog rescue. They rescue working dog breeds that get bought by city folk unaware that the dogs are not suited to backyard life.

So, this is "SPARX" he's a 14 month old Kelpie X Boarder collie, he has had basic sheep work training & is one smart cookie. I've never had a dog that learns tricks & games so fast, He's also very dog social & friendly to people.

28872415_10155062639372133_8151266324811612160_n.thumb.jpg.14fb6bd155e9541529fedf716c390eea.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I've worked with working breed rescue a bit. They are good folks. Glad you've found a new friend and thanks for looking in to adopting from a rescue group.

Only way to go in my opinion. Our last 2 dogs were rescues and both are awesome.

Kelpie/Border Collie....he's going to keep you real busy. I know our kelpie/staffy does.

Brad

Only way to go in my opinion. Our last 2 dogs were rescues and both are awesome.

Kelpie/Border Collie....he's going to keep you real busy. I know our kelpie/staffy does.

Brad

All our dogs have been rescued dogs, Also I have sheep to keep him busy too. In a short few weeks there should be 30 sheep for him to work. :)

As some would know a couple of months ago my dog "Jasper" died of old age (14 years old). I didn't think I'd find a new dog so soon but I heard about a group called Australian working dog rescue. They rescue working dog breeds that get bought by city folk unaware that the dogs are not suited to backyard life.

So, this is "SPARX" he's a 14 month old Kelpie X Boarder collie, he has had basic sheep work training & is one smart cookie. I've never had a dog that learns tricks & games so fast, He's also very dog social & friendly to people.

Make shure you give him a hug for me lol

• Administrators
Sparx & I just had a tug a war game with his new toy, Ball on a rope. Well it was fun for a while..:lol

Wouldn't want to be on the wrong end off those teeth & jaws. :laugh:

I cannot count how many "toys" we go through a week. Finally found one where she simply cannot chew it to pieces so has resorted to grinding it down instead. At the rate she's going it'll be a good 2-3 months. Need to find out where we got it from. She loves a tennis ball with the favourite game (apart from fetch) is to tear the outer fur into a improvised string then run around the yard shaking it. Problem is it eventually breaks and then she insists on tearing the ball into little pieces. At least she stacks them making for easy cleanup :rolleyes

This was the most recent crime scene....the look on cookie monsters face :lol

543728841_latestcrimescene.jpg.35a537122d9cc6ea3a2b8ad6fe2ff78a.jpg

Brad

My staffies favorite toy was a steel capped boot. Favorite game with the boot?

Boot on the Hills hoist on the end of one arm, spin the hoist around with him sitting under it and give the command "up" and he would spring straight up grabbing the boot in the mouth and continue riding around on the hoist till the command "OK" when he would drop and sitting waiting for another go.

Old inner tubes were another favorite. Tennis balls, well when the neighbors ones come over he would immediately pop them and take them over to the fence as if to say "here is your ball".

I used to laugh hearing "No Sprock" followed by a pop.

• Administrators

Boot on the Hills hoist on the end of one arm, spin the hoist around with him sitting under it and give the command "up" and he would spring straight up grabbing the boot in the mouth and continue riding around on the hoist till the command "OK" when he would drop and sitting waiting for another go.

Old inner tubes were another favorite. Tennis balls, well when the neighbors ones come over he would immediately pop them and take them over to the fence as if to say "here is your ball".

With her I play the "airplane game". She LOVES to fly. We grab her rope toy (which she although obliterates), she hangs on one side, I grab the other and spin her around. Weirdo can't get enough of it :confused:

Yep! We had a German Shepard that would POP a tennis ball in one second flat, We went to cricket balls after that exercise.

Yeah I bring out old indoor cricket balls sometimes for her. I have to ration them though as the centre wouldn't be able to keep up as she after a few days has gone through them as well :o

A mate has suggested a ride on mower tyre. I'm just concerned about any inner wire.

Brad

SPARX is a little beauty Doug, very handsome too. A beautiful time is the start of a best friendship - congratulations and hugs and woofs to the little man.

It's really great to hear so many talking about the positive value of rescue pooches. I have known no other way and do sometimes wish people would consider this option more often.

I could never wish for better mates than my 2 poocholas. Hopelessly spoiled though :)

540492489_LolanZep(1).thumb.jpg.94162e7bab2cea540819101f34998f05.jpg

1062140126_LolanZep(2).thumb.jpg.c3e516e4e8b2a29b069b54f8786fb11d.jpg

Yep! We had a German Shepard that would POP a tennis ball in one second flat, We went to cricket balls after that exercise.

What I used with my shepherds that lasted a good while were used polo balls (horse not water polo).

My border collie is a backyard dog and haven't had problems. Seems happy with plenty attention and the odd run/swim down the beach. Tried taking her for runs but she pikes it on me about 2kms in and wants to go home. I think she's acclimatized to city living lol More a Norm than a working dog lol

With her I play the "airplane game". She LOVES to fly.

A mate has suggested a ride on mower tyre. I'm just concerned about any inner wire.

Brad

Used to know a girl that had a staffie call Nero. Big arse dog he was with a head the size of a bucket and he would keep himself entertained by a car tire hanging from a tree branch about 1.5 meters off the ground.

He would get a run up and spring in the air locking onto the tire and continue swinging on it till it stopped swinging then drop and go back for another run up.

That dog was happy to do that for hours.

My staffies favourite wasn't quite steel caps hmmm, instead my almost brand new converse sneakers. This was a slightly disappointing day for Dad ;).

ConverseDestruction.thumb.jpg.c338aaf8e3af18e163fa2112b2f1aafc.jpg

having had 2 female dogs prior, initially one, Cassie bought from RSPCA in Pearcedale I couldn't handle the thought each day going to work and leaving her alone so back to Pearcedale for a mate, Bonnie, whilst Cassie was the boss they got along sweet. The unconditional and unbiased love you get from owning animals is so rewarding. Cassie ended up with a tumour in her anus, and at aged 14 the decision was to pay a vet to come out and she was put to sleep in my arms......then buried in the back garden in a nice area, along with a paving stone painted white and customised prior to her parting. Not so long afterwards Bonz had heart complications, a plaque made and her too buried alongside her mate. The heartache of losing my best mates, well it ****ing sucked. No more pets. My mum said "I can't see you without a dog in your life, I will buy you one". Over the years I did like the nature of Jack Russel's......I rang my vet and asked what was a 'good' breed dog, like what dog isn't prone to any particular illness or problems and her reply was "well, Jack Russel's are pretty much bullet proof". She advised to check out 'Pet Rescue". Looking, looking, looking, lots of enquiries and finally we were accepted as the new owners of Roxy, a Staffy X Jack Russel. See you are put through some.....test, as to whether you are a suitable owner for the particular 'abused/distressed/anxious etc dog. The foster family actually brought her down to us and as soon as they saw her run down the garden and go into a nose dive into the grass they were satisfied. Okay so we have a new dog, wasn't that easy. That night all she wanted was OUT! All new environment, foster family she had just gotten to trust gone....she bonded with my wife straight away, wouldn't come near me for about a fortnight. Honestly, she would sit in a corner under Supersonic, guess she felt safe there. Lots more to tell but, well, as much as we want another dog for her to have company, HA! she won't allow it. It's all about her and she has taken over and guards the property and us. She has become sooooo protective. She was found on a property Bendigo way tied up in a corner on a block where there owners eventually surrendered her. Don't get how piss weak people can be being cruel to something defenseless. Where's the challenge? How does someone get satisfaction from cruelty?

1975356867_IMG_0029(Custom).JPG.493ecca8bc2e784e7052dee45aea841a.JPG

Anyway, good for you, your family and your new buddy @Gemini2544 :023:

For those looking for some less destructible toys, Aussie Dog Products make some very good stuff.

They still had trouble with staffies destroying balls so they repurposed one of their zoo toys - a ball designed to stand up to the jaws of a lion.

That was a really emotional but beautiful story Rich. Very encouraging though and helps people to understand the emotional investment we have for our mates and what we'd love every other puppy owner to feel. I hope your very, very beautiful girl is good and staying as cute as in the picture.

P.s I couldn't help myself with the pose of your special girl and reminding me of how my girl sometimes sits :). Hopeless but here tis:

801798246_LolaSittin.thumb.jpg.238d60bcb8ca98ed03bd1d9bce1aafc9.jpg

Sparx has defiantly bonded to me, Gerry the farmer up the road dropped in for some pinball & a beer when he got too close to Sparx and me. Sparx growled at him twice and laid at my feet. Typical dog ownership displayed, So sweet! :)

2764967A-F5C7-48BD-B4A1-EFB52C6A60D2.thumb.jpg.4ae307a092a0afa00eb51d8d294e8f5c.jpg

My 2 rescues, Chewy Lab/Husky cross and Han Staffie/Kelpie cross his faithful companion :D

Chewy would stay in the pool all day long if he could but Han totally freaks out if she falls in... :unsure

A bit of a laugh below ;)

2AD9EC5D-5FC4-497D-8213-03BD54031E70.jpeg.f2195f2d66b61d3a1105f1746fce3a14.jpeg

so many great stories here :)

Gemini i love it there's special rescue places for working dogs to give them the life they want and deserve. I've had dogs all my life so I can relate to all these stories. Life is better with a dog.

These are mine, both girls and rescue pooches at ages 2 and 2 1/2, they are now 10 and 8 constant companions on the mancave couch. The brown kelpie/lab had been abused, and would not approach people, tail permanently between her legs, and wouldn't make a sound, not bark at anything, just kept her head down the whole time and quiet as a mouse. Don't want to imagine what kind of life she had before but it wouldn't have been pretty. It didn't take long once she realised she was safe and loved, she started trusting again, now she is just the friendliest dog, loves to greet every visitor with huge talks and whole-body wags.

The black lab Zelda was a total handful when we got her, no training/wild, leaping from couch to couch, fell in the pool twice on her first day. Massive fear reactions to other dogs, when she was on lead. She was also a massive porker, about 8KG too heavy but she was a total soft-hearted girl who just wanted to be with you doing everything and when she looks at you with those big brown eyes, know what I'm saying :)

It has been really great also watching the change in my wife - not a dog person at all, a little afraid of all dogs. Her heart was won over pretty quickly, now she's a complete doting pooch-parent which was awesome to see!

20180224_162839.jpg

20180307_225811.jpg

That was a really emotional but beautiful story Rich. Very encouraging though and helps people to understand the emotional investment we have for our mates and what we'd love every other puppy owner to feel. I hope your very, very beautiful girl is good and staying as cute as in the picture.

P.s I couldn't help myself with the pose of your special girl and reminding me of how my girl sometimes sits :). Hopeless but here tis:

My mrs call 'this sit' the yoga pose