Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Which adhesive for T molding

Laxity

Question

9 answers to this question

I have a feeling the grooves are too wide on my cab.

I've cleaned the grooves and made sure not to damage them.

Even with a mallet it doesn't seem to 'lock in' with any sort of strength.

I don't think this is the first time someone has replaced the molding :)

Its a red 4 player LAI.

You have the wrong sized T-moulding for the slot or vice-versa. There seem to be about 3 standards when it comes to width and choices within Aus are very limited. I would seriously advise ditching what you have and buying the correct stuff, its cheap enough, even with shipping from tmolding.com. The last cab I did needed 3 types, and with shipping from the US it came in at under $50.

Gluing it in is going to be a major shit fight, from having to hold it in perfectly while it dries, to the glue not really sticking to either the cabinet, or the t-molding, and to glue leaking out everywhere.

Masking tape dead down the spine of the Tee moulding. Each layer of masking tap adds twice the thickness of the masking tap so one layer is usually all that is required to make it tight but in saying that some US chipboard cabs needed more.

As the tape is only stuck to the spine and each side of the spine of the Tee molding, you can remove it and yes, the tape usually stays stuck to the Tee molding only should or if ever find the need to remove it from the cabinet.

This is a very common "trick of the trade".;)

Masking tape dead down the spine of the Tee moulding. Each layer of masking tap adds twice the thickness of the masking tap so one layer is usually all that is required to make it tight but in saying that some US chipboard cabs needed more.

As the tape is only stuck to the spine and each side of the spine of the Tee molding, you can remove it and yes, the tape usually stays stuck to the Tee molding only should or if ever find the need to remove it from the cabinet.

This is a very common "trick of the trade".;)

Agree 100% with masking tape method. I've done this on a couple of old lowboy cabs and it works an absolute treat!

On a cab i did a while back, the T-molding was the correct width but it was still a loose fit. I used a hot glue gun (sparingly) and did a section at a time (about 30cms). This method worked fine and it is removable fairly easily.

Marking tape and wood glue worked a treat for me as well. However Clark Rubber sell a T moulding with a thick insert section. I asked for a 5cm piece to test in my cab but it was to thick. They call it table edging.