Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Best TV size for Virtual Pinball

Hi guys,

Awesome forum!

I am thinking about building a Virtual Pinball machine and was just wondering what would be the most ideal size?

I was thinking 42"/43" but was also thinking 49"/50" but not sure if that'll be too big.

Any input would be great.

Edit:

Sorry just realised I posted in wrong area. XD

Hi guys,

Awesome forum!

I am thinking about building a Virtual Pinball machine and was just wondering what would be the most ideal size?

I was thinking 42"/43" but was also thinking 49"/50" but not sure if that'll be too big.

Any input would be great.

You should be able to find this discussion multiple times in this forum and others. But the tldr version most people use 36-42 as depending on the bezel they fit their real pinball cabinets.

I use a 42 and fits with room in my wide body Williams clone that I built.

In saying that size is not the only thing to consider, so do some searches on the forums for those threads as there is more information and discussion on things like viewing angle, resolution, panel quality, refresh rate and panel features like start when power on.

End of the day your budget will determine a lot of it.

Have fun either way, great hobby.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

You should be able to find this discussion multiple times in this forum and others. But the tldr version most people use 36-42 as depending on the bezel they fit their real pinball cabinets.

I use a 42 and fits with room in my wide body Williams clone that I built.

In saying that size is not the only thing to consider, so do some searches on the forums for those threads as there is more information and discussion on things like viewing angle, resolution, panel quality, refresh rate and panel features like start when power on.

End of the day your budget will determine a lot of it.

Have fun either way, great hobby.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

What brand/model is your 42"? I'm using a Williams widebody and 40" Sammy but I'm going to have to replace it soon.

Personally I like 46" / 47" as the length is correct and ball size the same as real pinball.

You would need an early gottlieb or Stern 80's widebody to fit the width or build custom.

That said, 42' has more clarity than 46" and will be easier fit .... but the length suffers (or so she said)

Personally I like 46" / 47" as the length is correct and ball size the same as real pinball.

You would need an early gottlieb or Stern 80's widebody to fit the width or build custom.

That said, 42' has more clarity than 46" and will be easier fit .... but the length suffers (or so she said)

I tried to fit a decased late model 46" Sony Bravia into the Dredded Vpin - not even close... i think a 40 or a 42 should drop right in. The Sammy S6 i have in there has developed a slight flickering, barely noticeable, but enough to annoy me.

I tried to fit a decased late model 46" Sony Bravia into the Dredded Vpin - not even close... i think a 40 or a 42 should drop right in. The Sammy S6 i have in there has developed a slight flickering, barely noticeable, but enough to annoy me.

Hence the extra wide body games needed to fit

To fit "in" an extra 1 1/2" is needed

To fit ontop and routed, a standard widebody like a B/W superpin

Hence the extra wide body games needed to fit

To fit "in" an extra 1 1/2" is needed

To fit ontop and routed, a standard widebody like a B/W superpin

Yeah, I read that widebody cabs like mine need that routing to fit a 46", but being an already put-together cab (and not having a router) I can't do the modifications needed... pity cause I'd love to use the 46" Sony i already have and swap the sammy out to use for PC gaming.

Yeah, I read that widebody cabs like mine need that routing to fit a 46", but being an already put-together cab (and not having a router) I can't do the modifications needed... pity cause I'd love to use the 46" Sony i already have and swap the sammy out to use for PC gaming.

Try and find the old stern wide body cabs.

You can double check playfield sizes list in vp.

Just go to tables info dropdown in editor and dimensions manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No such thing as "best"- it really comes down to the size of the cabinet you're looking to build and trying to keep it proportional.

As you have probably seen there are two distinct cabinet types, which are Standard and Widebody. Most people tend to stick within the dimensions of these two sizes as you can then use a genuine pinball lockdown bar. In a nutshell a 39" or 40" monitor/TV will generally fit within the confines of a standard body cabinet, whereas a 42" to 46" would need a widebody cabinet.

What I have been suggesting to customers of late is that if you are planning to build a cabinet from scratch and you aren't concerned about using a genuine lockdown bar, then design the cabinet around the playfield monitor/TV. You can either make your own lockdown bar out of timber or if you're keen, get one fabricated at a metal shop.

Do a search for some plans (there's a few around the 'net) so you can get the basic measurements, then mod them to suit your requirements.