Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

new pins day.

two new arrivals for the game room.

both need a little work but cosmetically in great condition.

wms "Big guns" sys11 yet to pick it up as only have room in the van for 1 pin at a time.

Sega Frankenstein, large DMD was faulty but game starts.

So far I repaired the DC-DC converter on the dmd, now giving the correct voltages and no smoke, funny thing is the fuses like it alot more too.

DMD controller needs some work, no display yet on dmd as processor not running but after power off dmd does now show random pixels.

need some parts this morning to progress the repair. Might start a repair thread later.

At least it is the correct theme to procure parts to bring it back to life, hoping I don't need to go as far as a lightning strike......

I not long finished a similar thing with a MSF... mine was a trainwreck though Lol

Do you know if his head turns? .... sometimes the unavailable head controller board is scabbed or blown... or the servo dies (and 23 spline not so common anymore)...

I too have had similar DMD Controller board issues. One of them was dead 256k rams. Thermal camera helps alot with diagnosis too. Replaced with sockets and new RAM, board has been working great.

Hang on I'll try to link the thread that has a few pics of my poor Frankie....

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/90502-WANTED-MSF-creature-servo-controller-board-Help!/page4?highlight=Frankenstein

I figure this may be helpful to anyone diagnosing a 192x64 controller board with thermal whom has no functioning unit for comparison...

Here is a board supplied to me by an AA friend as an unknown condition. It did not work, and worse it would not alow the machine to boot at all. On investigation the board had very low resistance on the power connector (compared to a functioning unit). This was too much draw for the power supply, causing a voltage drop great enough to shut down the games MPU. I connected it once more to quickly take a thermal, this is what I saw...

1787414628_2018-03-0413_52_39.png.2e32ca1e1ffe9c9c72af4eae1ed45157.png

One of the RAM chips has a serious internal short.

After replacing both RAM (using machined pin sockets), the game and display came into full operation.

Here is the thermal signature of the now working board 5 minutes after power on.

1915624734_2018-03-0413_55_23.png.29a625992a5c0091a0fd1dd6f74a6b1d.png

I figure this may assist with diagnosing various other faults on these boards as well.

Great game, it was well worth the effort in my book! :)

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

here are some pics of the machine, really quite a tidy game, needs a full shop but that's to be expected.

Yay!, got the display going. Also have a full RGB led colour option in the works too.

frankie02.thumb.jpg.61bfaaffaaeba10188a6ec8a8fb06fc1.jpg

frankie01.thumb.jpg.d8d37526e15be9e7e558791a471f81ce.jpg

Had a chicken and egg moment with the display as both the driver and the display had numerous issues.

Thought the display was repaired as it stopped blowing fuses and the voltages "seemed" ok, on further inspection there was only 9V diff between the 2 -ve rails. On these large displays there is a 15V zener clamping the difference so it should be 15V diff (say -105 @ -120) or there abouts.

Fixed that and then still no display on DMD. Confident that the plasma was now ok moved to the dmd controller.

initially found no clock leaving the pal (U15), level was questionable from the 74ls04... replaced.

3MHZ and 12MHZ clocks now present at u15.... yay!, system stuck in reset though. ( after jumping reset on 26way conn).

replaced 7705 reset controller and it burst into life ( better than flames I guess).

reinstalled it back in Frank and he limps another day, hope to get some functional tests done now that I can see whats going on..

Alas I will first replace numerous soft fuse holders etc..... but it's a start.

- - - Updated - - -

I figure this may be helpful to anyone diagnosing a 192x64 controller board with thermal whom has no functioning unit for comparison...

Here is a board supplied to me by an AA friend as an unknown condition. It did not work, and worse it would not alow the machine to boot at all. On investigation the board had very low resistance on the power connector (compared to a functioning unit). This was too much draw for the power supply, causing a voltage drop great enough to shut down the games MPU. I connected it once more to quickly take a thermal, this is what I saw...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124937[/ATTACH]

One of the RAM chips has a serious internal short.

After replacing both RAM (using machined pin sockets), the game and display came into full operation.

Here is the thermal signature of the now working board 5 minutes after power on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124940[/ATTACH]

I figure this may assist with diagnosing various other faults on these boards as well.

Great game, it was well worth the effort in my book! :)

thanks for the info, funnily enough my PALS were hotter than I thought they should be as was the CPU, I was hoping to avoid the 3 pal replacement as it is a pain to set up the gear, as it turned out didn't need to.

handy to know they run hot as per normal.

For interests sake my controller @5V needs 1.25A, with a different CPU (15Mhz.. running at 12) is runs much cooler and draws only 1A @5V... interesting.

My vid CPU seemed to settle just over 50 degC... the shorted chip was clear of 70 deg after less than a minute. I guess reading a chip over about 70 deg is a cause for concern.

I got a pin2Dmd XL for Xmas, and three dead red dots for new year... Dominik isn't replying to my emails....

I got a pin2Dmd XL for Xmas, and three dead red dots for new year... Dominik isn't replying to my emails....

ouch, for which game?

ed. never mind, re-read earlier posts.. oops..

you going to colourize it yourself too?

Any of the four

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125013[/ATTACH]

It is the red spectrum of three SMD's that have failed...

20180121_033126.thumb.jpg.e2e06673d07b379583aa6fa8a4690cd0.jpg

I have to admit the bright yellow looks good on the Baywatch though! ... but the camera image does it no justice (looks all washed out) compared to naked eye.

Yep planning on some "customisation" of frames :)

Also trying DMD extender, in process atm ;) .... keen to see what is best system for editing, of the two. Haven't learned alot about the DMDextender software as yet...

*Blues look good on Frankie, with near white as the brightest, the lightning looks cool :)

*Green or Yellow for Batman looks far better than orange

*Can make cards Red and Black on Mav :D

20180114_005109.thumb.jpg.5c503be13f12155ae884d00c695739c6.jpg

20180114_005036.thumb.jpg.3bc442ed7c34ebb9f15a8df36a1b8c96.jpg

I not long finished a similar thing with a MSF... mine was a trainwreck though Lol

Do you know if his head turns? .... sometimes the unavailable head controller board is scabbed or blown... or the servo dies (and 23 spline not so common anymore)...

I too have had similar DMD Controller board issues. One of them was dead 256k rams. Thermal camera helps alot with diagnosis too. Replaced with sockets and new RAM, board has been working great.

Hang on I'll try to link the thread that has a few pics of my poor Frankie....

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/90502-WANTED-MSF-creature-servo-controller-board-Help!/page4?highlight=Frankenstein

The head is meant to turn, mine does and those servos should be available at hobbyking or at least a suitable replacement servo I'm not sure about the controller boards though. The Frankenstein I managed to get a hold of was practically mint and just needed a good clean. I'm just putting a glass finish on the playfield (I scored one from 94 that's never had a ball roll on it) and going to install new set of plastics so it looks tidy. But the servo is there and turns the head for sure. Check hobbyking but because it's so much cheaper sometimes 1/10 times you'll get a faulty servo or something and their returns policies are not very helpful 90% cheaper for servos than other places though.

Sent from my G8141 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I done quite a bit of serching. Every hobby shop I went to in Adelaide said that particular arangment (airtronics or sanwa, which are the 23 spline types) are old gear and not something they have supplied in years. 24 or 25 spline no worries. I was searching hobby shops after not finding much at all online. All the overseas pinball suppliers had it listed but "out of stock". So after no hobby shops I could find had anything I ended up ordering from an RC shop in the US, a "replacment" metal gear "sanwa" servo. It's in the post but not as easy to find these days as the old threads would let us believe.... the one I ordered seems to be coming direct brand new from hong kong.

I done quite a bit of serching. Every hobby shop I went to in Adelaide said that particular arangment (airtronics or sanwa, which are the 23 spline types) are old gear and not something they have supplied in years. 24 or 25 spline no worries. I was searching hobby shops after not finding much at all online. All the overseas pinball suppliers had it listed but "out of stock". So after no hobby shops I could find had anything I ended up ordering from an RC shop in the US, a "replacment" metal gear "sanwa" servo. It's in the post but not as easy to find these days as the old threads would let us believe.... the one I ordered seems to be coming direct brand new from hong kong.

Sorry you had so much trouble finding a replacement, I could have sent you down one.

My frankie's head didn't turn either, tested the servo control board and it ran fine so I turned my attention to the servo. Last weekend visited a new Brisbane hobby shop and they had heaps of airtronics 24tooth (second hand) for $10, I bought 2. Please note that you will more than likely need to reconfigure the 3 wires on the servo to match the servo controller, I did even with the airtronics.

Frankie's head now turns, happy days!

Haven't updated the progress for a week but in that time

serviced all boards, replaced soft fuse holders, reflow dry joints and replaced known problematic components.

replace sram with nvram... no more batteries.

Playfield top parts stripped and cleaned/waxed playfield.

All plastics 100% in-tact, no cracks or breaks.

replaced all incandescent lamps top/bottom replaced with leds.

replaced broken ring on pop-bumper

replaced all rubbers

everything else works, just need to service flippers

can almost play my first game..