Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rockets anyone?

Estes starter kits look to be pretty good... I've got one here that I've been wanting to play with a for quite a while, but keep running out of time when at our farm.... I'm hoping to get launching this winter/spring so if no one else has any feedback to provide, I may be able to offer some tips later.

Yeah I have played with them a bit, great fun!

Buy additional wadding, and dont be scared to stuff a bit more in then suggested in the instructions. This will protect your chute, string and rubber band that attaches to the rocket from getting singed, and should make everything last longer.

Also get the shortest run time engines to begin with, I think they are an A. Get the longest delay report in stock as well (from memory they range from 0-5, 5 being the longest delay), this will mean your parachute fires later and the rocket is closer to the ground, less chance the wind taking it and never seeing it again ;). So an engine around an A-3 to 5 to get started, and then move up to the B and C size.

Water Rockets are great fun & dangerous enough

I still have the rig in the shed - Such a shame the bottles are so weak these days

At the max pressure we could get in it to around 120 psi it went amazing Just have a parachute & a lot of land to use it in

Used to play with these as a teen, they are great fun, I still have mine in a box, I have been meaning to take them out and use them again.

Bit harder now I dont have family with Properties any more.

I have a two stage Estes Rocket, and a couple of the more basic ones.

Too use the two stage Rockets that go stupidly high I had to use with a club on days they ran as they had clearance to fly those. Although I will admit I did fly it a few times out side of those events as there was no flight path in the area we were, But still that was Not the best thing to have done as there are fines for doing that.

But a single stage rocket on the other hand, thats fine to shoot up. So Stick with those in the starter kit unless you join a club.

You Just need a little bit of land so you dont lose it when it floats back down, but once you learn you can get it to land only a few meters away from you easy enough.

I will say it was maybe more fun but also cheaper when you could build your own rocket engines, but now most of the ingredients needed that once could be bought down at your local farm supply shop are now outlawed. The good thing about the days of being able to make your own rocket engines beside cost was you could add a few other ingredients to have different colour flames, bigger flames and more smoke, colored smoke and so on, even shoot sparks which was a cool effect.

Edited by jason1

Know the laws regarding, im sure they are in a worse boat than drones. Better off getting into a rocket club in your area, go to a meet and ask questions.

Not really, looks pretty straight forward in NSW. Fly in open areas, under 500g in weight and less than 25g of propellant which is most of the hobby style kits.

I've ordered a few kits so we'll see how it goes.

• 5 months later...
Just coming back to this thread. We bought 3 rockets. 1 ready to fly, 1 almost ready, and 1 needing to be completely built and painted. Great fun to share with my son.

Awesome that looked really cool. Which rockets did you buy, from where and how much were they? Could you launch these on a school oval?

They were all made by Estes. Purchased through Frontline Hobbies Newcastle. Patriarch which was pretty much ready to go, and the Amazon & Crossfire were sold together with launching gear in a set called the Tandem X. Biggest expense is the engines. You're effectively looking at about $4 a launch.