Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Buying a virtual pinball

Nice tip on the 5v for the fans, think that’ll be my next mod.

Love these threads, always learn something new.

Re the arcade buttons thing, it drove me nuts, although it could’ve been cheap ones with poor action. I really didn’t like the click feeling myself as my real pins don’t do it. I didn’t do any scientific measuring of lag between types, but I found it noticeable after trying both and for about $4 a button it’s a mute point if you like them.

I have the pinscape setup and originally used an Ipac controller with no issues (just no analogue nudge or analogue plunger, used a plunger touching a normally closed switch which worked ok enough).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id just add a couple points:

Widebody definitely is better, depending on your original panels, it will give you room to 'grow' if you decide to upgrade your panel or go bigger. With routed inside cabinet walls, a Widebody will fit up to 46" and give you very little bezel around the edges.

Exciters are probably the best upgrade i have ever done. They add so much to the feeling of immersion. The difference between playing a cab without them and one with them is night and day. These tactile speakers do not use cones and push sound out as waves through the air like normal speakers, instead they have a flat face made to be mounted against the wall of your cab (this is why plywood is a must) and they produce sound as a vibration, that still sounds like it should, but most importantly it feels like it should. It seriously feels like a real pinball and I've had my vpin next to real pins for years now and they feel very close to real.

Analogue nudge is also great and can be achieved pretty cheaply and easily. Dialing it in can be black magic but once sorted, really adds to feel.

+1 for leaf switches.

Also think about a real dmd, pin2dmd are great and look amazing in the vpin. Again the difference between using a pin2dmd and a plain lcd is night and day. That and Exciters are my fave upgrades.

They are great fun and as someone already said they are of course not as good as a real pin and never will be but I've had real pins come and go I'll never part with my vpin. being able to play and learn the rules of any pinball from any era including ultra-rare ones like Krull is plain awesome. Now if only we could get SPIKE emulation going so we can also have all the newer Sterns!

edit: oops, more than a couple points but there you go :)

Edited by Jed

We will be showing the steel Arcooda Pinball Ultra at Pinfest Newcastle next month. All the boards inside the cabinet have been designed in Newcastle, including the power management, lighting and tilt boards. The Pinball Arcade software is almost 2 years in development.

Our machines are designed for commercial standard with the sample coin operated models to be released for testing during Christmas.

Please note our machines play virtually all pinball software, and come with licensed software. You can link your steam account and play Pinball FX, Zaccaria and other software games easily.

Machines will start arriving into Australia in November.

We look forward to seeing everyone at Pinfest.

We will be showing the steel Arcooda Pinball Ultra at Pinfest Newcastle next month. All the boards inside the cabinet have been designed in Newcastle, including the power management, lighting and tilt boards. The Pinball Arcade software is almost 2 years in development.

Our machines are designed for commercial standard with the sample coin operated models to be released for testing during Christmas.

Please note our machines play virtually all pinball software, and come with licensed software. You can link your steam account and play Pinball FX, Zaccaria and other software games easily.

I think this year's Pinfest will be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Buying a virtual pinball

Looks awesome does that mean you can still play AFM on it though? (The dynamic POV looks great btw)

For $6500+ you'd want it to look good!
For $6500 I'd buy 2, maybe 3X 80's SS.

But that's only cause i already have a vpin... Not sure whether i can make pinfest this year but i still would like to check out this arcooda offering but, that price tag, that's going to make it a hard sell. You can build your own for 1/3 the price. I know this is marketed at people who want a turnkey solution but still.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Edited by Jed

It really depends on what you are trying to do and achieve.

Its like our Game Wizard Xtreme machine, literally, the most advanced arcade machine in the world. Plays all consoles, Jamma boards, JVS, and any current arcade game boards + mame, etc, etc... Its future proof also, as new consoles are being released we give all our customers the latest firmware so that you can update the machine easily. When Nintendo Switch was released, we gave all customers the firmware so that you could also use on our cabinet.

With regards to our video pinball, its the same story. Its built to arcade standards and we have tried to future proof.

Maybe you can build a video pinball for a few thousand dollars (or buy one of the China made machines also for a few thousand) but these are not in comparison to the Arcooda machine.

International sales are excellent, and once we can finish the balance software and hardware functions, we hope to show these machines in arcade venues. Hope you can visit Pinfest and also please try to catch the seminar which will explain the entire project.

Edited by Highway Entertainment

It really depends on what you are trying to do and achieve.

Its like our Game Wizard Xtreme machine, literally, the most advanced arcade machine in the world. Plays all consoles, Jamma boards, JVS, and any current arcade game boards + mame, etc, etc... Its future proof also, as new consoles are being released we give all our customers the latest firmware so that you can update the machine easily. When Nintendo Switch was released, we gave all customers the firmware so that you could also use on our cabinet.

With regards to our video pinball, its the same story. Its build to arcade standards and we have tried to future proof.

Maybe you can build a video pinball for a few thousand dollars (or buy one of the China made machines also for a few thousand) but these are not in comparison to the Arcooda machine.

International sales are excellent, and once we can finish the balance software and hardware functions, we hope to show these machines in arcade venues. Hope you can visit Pinfest and also please try to catch the seminar which will explain the entire project.

I wish you great success ☺ I'm sure there's a market for your machine for people with deep pockets and no time to spend learning and building... they do take a long time to get right and there's always something to upgrade.

The game software is designed for the hardware, so its just a matter of installing and playing. Pinball Arcade for example is being written for us to be released as an Arcooda version product. Its a complete different approach to what is in the marketplace currently.

With regards to the cabinet, everything is plug and play. With all our machines we have a step by step video guide on setup, troubleshooting and how to get the most out of the machines. If anything goes wrong in the cabinet, just unplug and exchange, no soldering/technician needed. Its one of the core principles we implemented when designing our first machines in the 1990s.

And a 12k Stern gets you how much technical support ? :)

Well from past experience I have called Stern and spoken directly with them and had issues resolved with technical expertise. I know of NIB buyers who have purchased from AMD and have always been accommodating with tech support. That type of support brings customers back. My comment was more tongue in cheek re Highway entertainment about their product they have manufactured and its price. Although I am eager to see what sort of support will be offered when they begin distributing a real pinball from another manufacturer.

Sorry to disagree, but Visual Pinball is hardly "just a matter of installing and playing".

This is exactly the point of the Arcooda Pinball Project.

It really is just installing and playing - Pinball Arcade software (as well as a number of other software games) is being re-written for Arcooda, specially designed for Arcooda Pinball. For owners, just install and play.

This is completely opposite to what is in the marketplace right now - our software is licensed, our hardware is designed from scratch, and our team working on this project around the world are pinball people with wealth of experience in pinball.

You do not need any computer experience, coding, hacking, hours on the internet/forums to work out how to get something to work. Its not a China cabinet with hacked software, but a proper arcade product.

- - - Updated - - -

Well from past experience I have called Stern and spoken directly with them and had issues resolved with technical expertise. I know of NIB buyers who have purchased from AMD and have always been accommodating with tech support. That type of support brings customers back. My comment was more tongue in cheek re Highway entertainment about their product they have manufactured and its price. Although I am eager to see what sort of support will be offered when they begin distributing a real pinball from another manufacturer.

Not sure if you understand the history, but Highway Entertainment was the last Bally/Williams distributor in Australia before they closed. All Williams/Bally sub-distributors in Australia (including all the current pinball sellers) were buying their pinball from Highway. If you are asking what support/warranty we are going to offer for the Homepin Thunderbirds, we will run at 2 years warranty on all major components (currently, that's 4 times the warranty of the Stern product in Australia). With the Arcooda product, we are running at less than 1% failure rate over these recent years. Whilst we might not be perfect, we will do our best to support our customers.

I tried my best to provide VALID INFORMATION to the OP to assist him in making a more informed decision about his purchase, as did a few others, only for a certain person to come along and hijack the thread by trying to flog a product rather than adding to the conversation.:realmad:

Hopefully that's over now and this thread can be more about discussion of alternatives when purchasing/building a virtual pinball cabinet.:cool:

+2 for leaf switches, or the gold leaf ozstick type, I had tried both for the virtual Pinsim build and the gold leaf arcade buttons are far better and offer a more authentic feel, the click action with standard arcade buttons just doesn't cut it for the flipper action feel.

• Administrators

Thread cleaned up.

It really annoys me when people trash somebodies thread and keep going even after they have been asked to stop.

I don't mind people speaking up if they have a grievance with somebody else however do it in your own thread and only when all other avenues are exhausted.