Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sentinel Supergun

Hi guys,

I recently received my Sentinel Supergun from @Frank_fjs - I bought mine as a kit rather than a completed unit and wanted to share some pictures I took while putting it together so others can see what's involved and how everything goes together.

For sale here:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/92673-FOR-SALE-Sentinel-Supergun

Features:

- RGB video out

- Service, test and coin buttons on board

- DB15 controller connectors

- 8 pin DIN AV connection

- 20 pin ATX power connector

- -5v line connected on board (requires compatible PSU)

- RGB trimpots for adjustment if required

- On-off switch

- Stereo/mono switch

First up is the parts, the white PCB is silkscreened so there's no doubt about which parts go where. All parts except the JAMMA edge are plated through hole with nice pads making soldering a breeze. JAMMA edge is available in both a blue or a black option at time of writing. I am using the black JAMMA edge. A couple of small things that I really like:

I am a very big fan of service and test buttons on the Supergun, especially for use in a test bench situation. Also good being able to use a standard controller or a custom controller but not having to work out where to mount the service buttons. There are coin buttons wired up to each DB-15 connector as well for coining up from controllers.

I also really like the on/off switch, the other superguns I have used in the past have relied on unplugging the power supply when wanting to power off, it's much nicer having the facility on the board to just leave the power supply connected.

I believe there are also plans in the works for a cable to connect an arcade PSU to the 20 pin ATX connector for those who either don't have a spare PC power supply or would otherwise prefer to use an arcade power supply (in particular for -5v, a lot of PC power supplies don't offer enough amperage for some arcade boards so you end up with no sound)

Time for pictures!

Here is the PCB, the silkscreening is nice and visible

IMG_2131.thumb.JPG.7931e6af6ae5f89e3be8e5a7768fcc6c.JPG

Here are all the parts laid out - a 20 pin ATX connector supplies power, video output is through a Neo Geo standard 8 pin DIN connector on the rear and controls are connected via Neo standard DB-15 connectors on the left and right of the board.

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.85f4deef18ba48469816912c29dc4f0b.JPG

The resistors are labelled to avoid confusion

IMG_2130.thumb.JPG.6ab9f97f81a5a9419cc3a92d381a8a82.JPG

The first thing I installed as recommended by Frank was the JAMMA edge. I used a pair of pliers to squeeze the top and bottom pins together to bring them as close as possible to facilitate soldering to the board (the gap between the pins is much wider than the board is thick). Another option is to insert a piece of vero (blank PCB) board between the pins on the bottom to hold the top pins in place while they are soldered down.

IMG_2132.thumb.JPG.11cd69164db5136802a4fdf9e1e740ff.JPG

I then installed the trimpots, switches, pushbuttons and LED as most of these have short pins. To make it easier I put the DB-15 connectors in place but didn't solder them down yet, but this meant I had a flat surface and I wasn't fighting with the JAMMA edge already soldered on the front.

IMG_2133.thumb.JPG.57887feec5383d35c75b9866d64bcbe1.JPG

I then installed capacitors after removing the DB-15 connectors again

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.e1fd142fb1d650671e09c38a8ea73000.JPG

Resistors and the first DB-15 connector

IMG_2135.thumb.JPG.a5ba6e871874df5418fba76f44c67e50.JPG

And then the second DB-15 connector, 8 pin DIN connector and 20 pin ATX housing

IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.d0674061bf535866980ba862199a78d7.JPG

Moment of truth, and it fires up! I don't have the correct cable to connect up a monitor at the moment, but it powers up so that's a good start.

AC542010-6027-4DC4-A1AA-50F41F8BC872.thumb.JPG.82bd416036b69da02c34fe5ded21feee.JPG

Sentinel Supergun

I enjoy doing these kind of write ups and I think it's especially important for community made products

I should do more :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank is putting out some really great stuff lately, ive been fairly busy and have not really been so active as id like to in this due to a lot of family health problems, but ive seen firt hand some of Frank's work and its really great stuff, id buy it all if i had the time to play around with it!