Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Le Contemplation Room De Salsicha

Why are these pins crammed so very inconveniently in my living room?

Snip20180722_3.png.b08dd2cab617c71afc109da7058365b1.png

Well it's not because I need to be always in close proximity to my preciouses, it's because there is change afoot in this space:

Snip20180722_4.jpg.29177b374baa62945b07762a4afb7991.jpg

To the casual observer this may seem like your typical suburban residential garage, but to those with vision, it can be something more! A room that inspires contemplation of the big questions..."What shall I drink tonight?"... "Why are Pins so over priced?" ... "I really don't want to go to work tomorrow" ... "I want a V8" .."many leather bound books"

So begins my garage conversion....

Stage One - sort out the floor.

The concrete floor was in quite a miserable state and needed sorting. I originally thought about putting flooring down, but I wanted the room to be able to be easily converted back into a garage if I decided to sell my house down the track.

So I decided to go with the polished concrete option which came out a treat.

Snip20180722_5.png.875563a5a44f4c1429150e92c2cd5e4b.png

In this photo you can see the light bouncing off the floor.

Snip20180722_6.jpg.a34ffeada52c01dfffed3cd07d026aca.jpg

Stage Two - Walls

Salmon pink walls was never going to stand! but what to do?

I was never a fan of painted brick walls so I was thinking of plastering the walls or even getting some insulated paneling. After some research it seemed it was going to be a lot of time,money and effort going down the insulated panelling path, so in the end I just went with my least preferred option of painting over the salmon pink *sigh.

However I had one ace up my sleeve, what if I went big and bold and went with BLACK? "but doesn't it shrink a room?" "Won't it be too dark?" I hear you say? well be damned nay sayers I went there and it came out better than expected :)

Snip20180722_7.jpg.e3f641a9328c8fe6e2281ff437cc74c5.jpg

Painting is on going, that's just the first coat...

Stage Three - New garage door

In this picture your can see the old garage door which not only visually kills the aesthetic of the room by looking very garage doory, but provided no heat retention making the room unbearably cold!

Snip20180722_8.jpg.bedb13d8085bd21c59780f148149d290.jpg

I found a manufacturer that made insulated sectional garage doors where you could have different colours front and back. This allowed me to have the inside of the garage door being black, as well as black powder coating on the guide rails which blends the door with the room:

Snip20180722_9.thumb.jpg.3b09380e539b6eba13f95c0b8f679320.jpg

What's Next?

In the next 4 weeks I hope to have finished painting the walls and the ceiling. Stay tuned for more progress updates :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo, haven't managed to do the second coat on the walls yet, but i did paint the ceiling black to see how it would look and it is definitely a winner! But I'm not posting about that minor detail, I have bigger news, their is a new resident in the room, ladies and gentleman I present to you Santa Calamari!!

Capture.JPG.efa28e6f57427bea6438ba121497bf88.JPG

Before you ask no it's not my handy work, I couldn't paint way out of an easel. I commissioned a well known local street artist to turn my rather bland looking door into a masterpiece.

For a room that's going to have pins in it I think she hit the mark.

IMG_4135.thumb.jpg.07300383bf8b9dd68c09870bc37ed0ea.jpg

Congrats. I admire people that are willing to roll the dice artistically wise and try something different and I think you'll nail it when done. Great work so far.

I like your input about the panel lift doors. I have roller doors and yep, they look crap on the inside.