State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      73 Post(s)
      Australia

Arcade resurgence?

This is an older story but the momentum for Timezone re-opening stores doesn't seem to have slowed:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...31-gu27w9.html

Not sure if it's already been posted here but I found it interesting that they're debt free and looking to expand again in a big way, looks like the demand hasn't gone away and the push is being led by parents in their 30's and 40's who want somewhere to take their kids for fun.

Sadly competitive fighting games or beat-em-ups don't seem to be on the cards (at least from Timezone anyway).

This user has no status.

----

State
      qld
      Mentioned
      89 Post(s)
      Quoted
      887 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Mick80 View Post
      This is an older story but the momentum for Timezone re-opening stores doesn't seem to have slowed:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...31-gu27w9.html

Not sure if it's already been posted here but I found it interesting that they're debt free and looking to expand again in a big way, looks like the demand hasn't gone away and the push is being led by parents in their 30's and 40's who want somewhere to take their kids for fun. go from

Sadly competitive fighting games or beat-em-ups don't seem to be on the cards (at least from Timezone anyway).
      Id say there is a resurgence in arcades, It was cool in the 90's I remember allot of shopping centers had more than one arcade, an Intencity at one end and time zone up the other end and both would be full, Was good walking from one to the other once you had played all the games in one of them.
      But then it died and you barely started seeing any arcades in shopping centers, but they seem tobe popping back up now which is great,
      Id love to see a few more really large ones like we see at the gold coast.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      157 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1122 Post(s)
      Australia
      Problem is they will be full of redemption machines anyway. God I hate those kid's gaming machines. They should all be banned as it only teaches kids the fundamentals of gambling but hell, no operator will miss the opportunity to run machines that earn quicker than any proper arcade has in the history of machines.

$1 for a go that lasts 10 seconds makes for a very fast earning machine doesn't it.

This user has no status.

----

State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Quoted
      101 Post(s)
      Australia
      Ironic line from that article:

"arcades started closing down as teenagers and gamers found Xboxs, Playstations and then smartphones delivered the same thrills without the need for gold coins."

The microtransactions in those games are now making arcades seem like far better value.

Brad is online now Cheeky Bastard
      is Banned

Wtf

State
      Brisbane, Australia
      Mentioned
      184 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1399 Post(s)
      Australia
      I'd say another factor is that in the 90's commercial rent especially in places like Westfield was hideously expensive. Margins for retailers and arcade couldn't cover it. Now commercial space is competitively dirt cheap and arcades if run right can make a living. As soon as rents start to go up they'll drop out of malls again.

Like has been said though, **** redemption machines.

Brad

This user has no status.

----

State
      Christchurch, New Zealand
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Quoted
      34 Post(s)
      New Zealand
      Interesting article.

As a side note, some may not know - Coin Cascade, who are the franchisees/operators of Time Zone here in NZ are being bought out by LAI, handover soon I believe. Don't know if this will affect anything at the stores here or new pinball prices etc.

is brewing beer and playing
      arcades.

----

State
      Brisbane
      Mentioned
      150 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1314 Post(s)
      Australia
      Wait, LAI still exists? Holy shit, that's crazy!

And here they are. I had no idea they were still around and still distributing games. Sad that they are all redemption machines, but it's the nature of the modern beast I guess.

https://laigames.com/

This user has no status.

----

State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      73 Post(s)
      Australia

Yes LAI is a sleeping giant apparently!

I sent timezone an email asking them if they're going to cater for us guys that like older stuff and pinball and this is what they said:

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your email! Yes, Timezone is currently going through an aggressive expansion and along with some new partnerships formed (Zone Bowling, Kingpin, Playtime) Timezone is currently the largest family entertainment provider in the Southern Hemisphere.

We do acknowledge that there is a nostalgic audience who frequent our venues and we try to have something to cater for all demographics. This includes having Pinball machines and some of the classic arcade games such as Space Invaders in a revamped, modern style.

Hopefully we can look at opening a Timezone in the central tablelands of NSW so we can showcase Timezone’s modern take on the arcade scene.

Thanks again for the email and hope to hear from you soon about your experience when you visit us next!

This user has no status.

----

State
      qld
      Mentioned
      89 Post(s)
      Quoted
      887 Post(s)
      Australia
      I will admit I dont mind the ticket games, It is fun trying to collect tickets for stupid toys and so on, and playing the odd skill testers and so on, as rigged as they are. lol.
      It is good fun doing that, But saying that I wouldnt allow my kid to play those wizard of oz token games or those sort of machines, While I have played them my self which I now stay away from as they take your money way to quick lol, as people have said they are like slot machines, they are really something only an adult should play IMO.
      But the old bowling games, wack a mole games ticket games, basket ball hopes, those stupid horse riding games and even the stupid spin the wheel games I dont take to much issue with, as they dont have the same level of addiction, But that wizard of oz game is a big problem which you wouldnt want your kids to play at all or at least not very often.
      Its addictive, you will see allot of people sitting on those all night.

But Tickets are fun, the best part is spending 20minutes at the end of the night trying to scheme and do maths on which items you could get the best value out of lol, Obviously none are good value but its still fun todo

feel like a kid trying to make a decision
      Eg
      If I spend 300tickets on that walking dead money bank, Ill have 50 tickets to spend on that light sabre key ring, and 20 tickets on that sponge bob pencil sharpener, But do i really want that sponge bob pencil sharpener? hmm its better than that Hello kitty pencil. lol
      Hmm decisions, maybe we should just hold off till next time and get that lava lamp for 800 tickets as it will match our Glitter lamp we got last time, aahaha,

is in your skip bin stealing your
      junk from your mummas house

Wtf

State
      bunbury WA
      Mentioned
      43 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1173 Post(s)
      Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla
      Quote Originally Posted by jason1 View Post
      I will admit I dont mind the ticket games, It is fun trying to collect tickets for stupid toys and so on, and playing the odd skill testers and so on, as rigged as they are. lol.
      It is good fun doing that, But saying that I wouldnt allow my kid to play those wizard of oz token games or those sort of machines, While I have played them my self which I now stay away from as they take your money way to quick lol, as people have said they are like slot machines, they are really something only an adult should play IMO.
      But the old bowling games, wack a mole games ticket games, basket ball hopes, those stupid horse riding games and even the stupid spin the wheel games I dont take to much issue with, as they dont have the same level of addiction, But that wizard of oz game is a big problem which you wouldnt want your kids to play at all or at least not very often.
      Its addictive, you will see allot of people sitting on those all night.

But Tickets are fun, the best part is spending 20minutes at the end of the night trying to scheme and do maths on which items you could get the best value out of lol, Obviously none are good value but its still fun todo

feel like a kid trying to make a decision
      Eg
      If I spend 300tickets on that walking dead money bank, Ill have 50 tickets to spend on that light sabre key ring, and 20 tickets on that sponge bob pencil sharpener, But do i really want that sponge bob pencil sharpener? hmm its better than that Hello kitty pencil. lol
      Hmm decisions, maybe we should just hold off till next time and get that lava lamp for 800 tickets as it will match our Glitter lamp we got last time, aahaha,
      We got a timezone in april and bang on as walk in is a woz coin dropper

Reminds me of old days of coin pushers at the shows
      you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information