Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Microphone Project, Turning crap condenser or dynamic mics into Studio Quality

I hope this post gives this guy a few more followers, because he really has done a service to the industry

(This is not my link, it belongs to Jules Ryckebusch, who I have no affiliation with)

I have made and ordered a small batch of prototype boards to try it out

I have redone the PCB and schematic to suit all the little things others have suggested to improve it, which were never updated on the sites in the link

Looks amazing, so I will keep you posted

When mine proves successful I will post the schematic and release the boards at a very fair price for others to build

For now you'll get the idea from the link/s

(29-9-18, EDIT, I tried the triple mics, but settled on singles, which work perfectly)

Edited by dezbaz

This is interesting, I have a Rode Mic which is just amazing.

Rode is an Australian Company and a very well known mic maker, but how they got started was actually doing a similar thing to what is shown, they were able to turn average mics and turn them into outstanding mics by improving all the circuitry.

so there is probably allot of merit in that video

• 2 months later...

I made some prototypes.

These mics are really amazing.

The protos worked great, but I made a few small improvements.

Added a mute button, and just had one mic capsule for my needs, I don't need 3 personally

These fit into the eBay BM-800 ($19.85, incl shipping) Not my Auction

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/AA_Mic-01-sm.jpg

These should fit into the Officeworks Thinner Mics ($19.88 ea), converting a Dynamic Mic into a balanced Mic, you need a 3 core lead by the way

I will assemble and test to see

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/AA_Mic-02-sm.jpg

If anyone needs either version (bare PCB) they are $5.00 ea

I will supply a B.O.M and diagram to anyone who orders

Diagram sample

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/AA_Mic-03-sm.jpg

I haven't got the PCBs yet, but should in the next week or so

Let me know guys

Edited by dezbaz
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Even if the post is a few years old, the innovation you put into crafting mic prototypes remains impressive. Adding a mute button and customizing them to fit various mic models shows your resourcefulness. Converting a dynamic mic into a balanced one exhibits your inventive approach to audio gear. Offering the bare PCB versions with detailed diagrams and a Bill of Materials is a generous gesture for anyone keen on diving into similar projects. Your dedication to sharing knowledge is commendable and timeless. When diving into microphones used for ASMR or similar applications, your focus on customization and adaptability echoes the spirit of creating tailored solutions. Your work serves as inspiration for those exploring DIY audio projects even today. Keep the inventive spirit alive!

Edited by Juninater
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, annabeltbaxter said:

I bet there are plenty of enthusiasts still inspired by your project's ingenuity! Btw, can someone recommend ASMR microphones?

@annabeltbaxter If you feel like electronics, then this microphone project would be good; without the cage, you can get very very close to the source - and you are just risking the capsule, not an expensive repair compared to opening a commercial mic for the same purpose. As for commercial microphones, the Røde NT1-A has great sensitivity and very low noise. I use mine for voice work, and it reproduces every mouth noise. It's often listed in the top ASMR lists on the net.