Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Do you have a favourite cheaper pin?

After a conversation with another member I thought I’d put this out there.

I’ve got some A list titles and some hard to come by pricey pins but my favourite pin is probably the cheapest in my collection.

F-14 tomcat is my favourite pin and by a long way. I just love it. The memories it brings back to me from my youth, the brutal gameplay and awesome light show makes it number one for me.

Don’t get me wrong I love all my games but I play tomcat daily without fail.

With all the talk of overpriced pins I thought this would be a good time to get some air time for the games not talked about as much.

So do you have a cheaper diamond in the rough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love both the System 11s in the house at the moment - Radical and Space Station.

I think they were an era when a machine could do just enough to be complicated without taking 42 pages to explain the rules. At the same time seem quite simple yet frustratingly difficult. Just lock two balls, start a three ball multiball and then lock two. "Just" hahaha.

I love both the System 11s in the house at the moment - Radical and Space Station.

I think they were an era when a machine could do just enough to be complicated without taking 42 pages to explain the rules. At the same time seem quite simple yet frustratingly difficult. Just lock two balls, start a three ball multiball and then lock two. "Just" hahaha.

I surely love my Radical,although not so cheap,if you can find one these days.

I know I have mentioned this one to you before Boof, but my pick is Jurassic Park...a data east god forbid! Although the days of it being a “B” title have seemingly gone...

I also have a soft spot for the quirky Junk Yard...

Pinball play in my opinion has simply got to technical for it's own good.

Compare it to a game of poker with cards. Same rules as always but still just a popular as always so why did pinball need to 10 fold the rule set for the modern games?

Pool is another example. No need to add more rules to keep interest. See what I mean.

I think the 80's era machine had the right mix and the 90s maybe a bit to much but still manageable.

Thinking about it, it was probably to do with video games and the pinball designers thinking it all needs to change just like a video game does each frame to keep interest but maybe not. Maybe it was the constant challenge rather than a changing challenge that was the lure to pinball in the first place just like poker and pool and they got it all tragically wrong.

Just a thought.

I owned a Pin*Bot I bought for $1700 for 2 years and played the christ out of it. still never finished it. (I'm not that good at pinball though... play more arcade) Still, I loved it the whole time. The theme, the wacky music, the simplicity of the goals yet the depth of the whole game. System 11's for the win!

I have 10 pins now (including 90's and 2000) and the machine i play most is a classic Stern Lectronamo from 1978. Nobody ever rates it or mentions this pin but it just does the business for me, pure basic pinball action, difficult shots and good basic rules, no multiball, no speech, no flash light show but i can't get enough. Challenging game play and drop targets are enough to keep me entertained it seems.

I love getting pins for under $2500 that provide nearly as much fun as something three or four times the cost. When I look at JJP prices and see I could get two 80s pins and still have $10k left over it’s a reminder of the fun:cost ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

My Sorcerer is the one for me. Great fun and my cheapest pin (Except for my non-working Middle Earth :lol ). And when i go to Pat's place my favourite is always the Meteor. Got to love some of the early games for just great design and gameplay without the need for all the extras.

Do you have a favourite cheaper pin?

My Sorcerer is the one for me. Great fun and my cheapest pin (Except for my non-working Middle Earth :lol ). And when i go to Pat's place my favourite is always the Meteor. Got to love some of the early games for just great design and gameplay without the need for all the extras.

Sorcerer is awesome. I have a Firepower II and Sorcerer would be it’s spiritual brother that Mark Ritchie went to the next level on. The sounds and light show are impressive. Never played one in the flesh. I bet there’s only a handful in Aust.

Edited by 1.21 Gigawatts

Sorcerer is awesome. I have a Firepower II and Sorcerer would be it’s spiritual brother that Mark Ritchie went to the next level on. The sounds and lite show are impressive. Never played one in the flesh. I bet there’s only a handful in Aust.

It is a great game. You can certainly see the similarity with the ramp and wireforms with Firepower 2. I was lucky enough to pick this one up as a random purchase. Had no recollection of playing it but very happy i got it. New playfield and plastics and couldn't be happier. Have only ever seem a few up for sale over here.

After playing centaur last night this is top on the list but wouldn't consider it a cheapie anymore. Also my embryon

I like your taste:023:

Still got Centaur but sold my nice Embyron sometime ago (one of my tougher calls but it did free up some cash to buy the Centaur)

On the 80's Ballys I'd swap a Centaur or an Embryon for a Vector I think. That background sound is intense on Vector.

Never seen a Vector in the skin but seeing videos on it makes me think it would be an interesting machine I must play one day and a machine that isn't in high demand all be it extremely rare.

Might be a good diamond in the rough contender?

[video=youtube_share;w4LDlL7-sXU]

On the 80's Ballys I'd swap a Centaur or an Embryon for a Vector I think. That background sound is intense on Vector.

Never seen a Vector in the skin but seeing videos on it makes me think it would be an interesting machine I must play one day and a machine that isn't in high demand all be it extremely rare.

There’s a really good one here in Doonside.

I own one. Its in at Brisbane Masters at the moment. Not sure if is still holding up though.

Its a pretty cool game. So many features for a game of its vintage.

I bought an $800 Card Whiz which I tend to play more then anything else I have. It’s not overly complicated, but it’s a killer, and when you get that good game, you feel great.