Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Double dragon II arcade very hard

This game has been a favourite growing up playing it on the NES, but I had never played the arcade version until lastnight, this game is very brutal from the word go, none of my nes skills transferred lol, it took me most of the way through the game to work out all my moves, the music was awesome and very similar to the nes, so much so I knew where I was in the game in terms of levels :) I was very surprised that the arcade version of the game would even be released as the lag in some spots is terrible and pretty much unplayable, who signed off on this release lol? I pushed through to the end and chewed up a good 30 credits so would have been a costly game back in the day, but that was the aim I guess. Looking forward to playing the other two now and in the future building up a dedicated double dragon II cab.

Spoiler alert, after smashing through this brutal game swearing as I went, this is all I get for my hard efforts :)

_20180718_115559.thumb.jpg.35719cfd423cf96ff0d3ef174e04f591.jpg

DSC_2612.thumb.jpg.7a4c98f6b8a2529710c2fd6e6f311614.jpg

Was this MAME, or PCB? DD lags like hell in some places on my MAME setup, and i'd guessed it was the same with the original board because i think i can sort of remember that in the arcades, but it'd be nice to know. Does DD2 run on the same hardware?

Was original pcb, that's why I'm really surprised they released it like that, not sure on the hardware. Im Interested to see I dd3 runs like this as it's only one board

Edit: @buttersoft it's running on the technos hardware if that's what you were asking.

Edited by -Slayer-

The slowdown in DD when you add a second character is just total bullshit. Almost unplayable. I also cannot believe it was released in that form. It's WAYYYY worse than Neo Geo slowdown, which can be pretty bad.

You would think if dd was that bad they would have made some upgrades for dd 2 and make sure it was smooth, nes version was almost glitch free, obviously wasn't as textured but it played :)

I only got to play Double Dragon II on arcade for the first time ever a couple of months ago by sheer luck. I went to Pinball Paradise and was pleasantly surprised to see a small cluster of arcade machines in the "Bartronica Pop out" area out back. I was actually there as the owner had tipped me off that they possibly had Dragon Ninja there.

I agree that the game is rock hard. I could barely manage 25, 000 on one credit. My previous exposure to the game funnily enough was on C64 - I have many fond memories playing doubles with a mate at his place in around 1990-1991. I even bought an original tape for it late last year and got further on it than I had before, making it to the end of level 5. Still haven't completed it though. :) Great tunes by Dave Lowe. The third game wasn't much cop unfortunately.

I think MS Bartronica in Geelong have the game too; although the version at Pinball Paradise might have come from there, not sure.

Edited by Pessimeister

• 2 weeks later...
Was original pcb, that's why I'm really surprised they released it like that, not sure on the hardware. Im Interested to see I dd3 runs like this as it's only one board

Edit: @buttersoft it's running on the technos hardware if that's what you were asking.

DD3 is worse but different. Actually that's pretty much a comprehensive dd3 game review.

At least you only have to put up with it for 1 minute.

You turn it on just long enough to remember how much the game sucks compared to the first 2 ( a bit like the Robocop movies) and turn it off, unplug and back on the shelf[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

DD3 is worse but different. Actually that's pretty much a comprehensive dd3 game review.

At least you only have to put up with it for 1 minute.

You turn it on just long enough to remember how much the game sucks compared to the first 2 ( a bit like the Robocop movies) and turn it off, unplug and back on the shelf[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Haha you sold me :) iv never played it but can't wait now lol. I have never seen a dd3 pcb until I saw the one I now own, maybe the game was that bad thy only released a handful ;)