Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI Mortal Kombat 1 restore

So I picked up this dedicated LAI MK1 cabinet recently on ebay. Some of you may remember the listing.

It’s missing pretty much everything except the jamma harness and power supply.

I’m currently sourcing all the parts and still need to get the following;

1. Lower support bracket for marquee

2. Speaker grill

3. NRI coin mech faceplate

Any ideas on where I can get these? I might need to fabricate the support bracket if I can’t get one, and was hoping to get the full size speaker grill rather than the small square/round ones that only cover the speaker hole.

Thanks in advance and watch this space for further updates!

30546_B69-_E8_B8-4_B80-_AAF5-2_E0_CEFC249_EA.png

98_D4_AC8_F-4119-4_D48-_A605-_A7_F521_EF6180.png

C5_BAD123-15_E5-4084-_A1_D6-3_AC37_F95_D0_A0.png

3_E5009_EF-_B88_C-46_E9-_B573-78_D0_D8_B4809_A.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Thanks Mick80 i did speak to Kev about those parts, ended up getting his working MK1 pcb as well.

So far i have done the following;

Rewire 240vac supply cable to disty box as this was missing

Replace fluro ballast

Check switching power supply - tested OK all voltages from the harness

Cut front door to size

source 25" bezel

order tempered glass to size

order new CPO overlay from @MamePatrol as the original had bad coin scratches straight throught the middle of it

printout new CPO sideart

cut CP side panel to size

touch up side art work

the side art wasnt in that bad condition so i figured i could salvage it.

SAM_3087.jpg

SAM_3088.jpg

Cant wait to stick on the artwork, but first things first. @MamePatrol did a great job with the CPO, came up a treat even with the LAI badge in the middle

SAM_3089.jpg

Still lots of work to be done

Edited by Jason_roberts13

I bought an aluminium angle from bunnings for the marquee lower support bracket, and an aluminium sheet for the speaker grille.

Cut them both to size and painted the grille black and bracket red.

SAM_3090.jpg

This is how it looks at the moment

SAM_3136.jpg

Next i will drill some holes through the grille for the speaker, picked up a 15W 4ohm speaker from the local wreckers. Think i pulled it out of a Camry from memory

SAM_3138.jpg

Mounted the CPO side panel as well with t-moulding

SAM_3137.jpg

OK so the speaker grille and marquee are now mounted

SAM_3145.jpg

The control panel is in pretty rough condition

SAM_3139.jpg

The underside of the CP is rusted to the shithouse

SAM_3140.jpg

So i will soak it overnight in white vinegar, lets see if this gets rid of that rust

SAM_3142.jpg

How the hell does the underneath of the CP get that rusted anyways? Spilt drinks?

Well the white vinegar got rid of all that rust under the control panel surprisingly, this is how it looked the next day after a bit of a scrub

SAM_3148.jpg

I got out the ole heat gun and started removing the damaged control panel overlay

SAM_3146.jpg

and stuck on the new overlay matching up the button holes as best i could

SAM_3149.jpg

Then wired up the control panel again with new buttons and switches

if your wondering what those labels are, i always label the wires when wiring a control panel as it makes it a lot easier when putting back together again

SAM_3150.jpg

This is how it looks now with new CP sideart and front CP artwork

SAM_3152.jpg

Next up, the monitor! A 26" LCD should do the trick ;)

haha just kidding, i got a few stock 25" TVs waiting for a restore like this.

Stay tuned for next update

Edited by Jason_roberts13

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying the rebuild!

Got the monitor in?

I have a MK1 that is missing the Midway stickers on the control panel at the front and sides.

Do you know if they came on the LAI Mortal Kombat's too?

Nobody reproduces the LAI side art? One of mine is equally torn.

Well the white vinegar got rid of all that rust under the control panel surprisingly, this is how it looked the next day after a bit of a scrub

SAM_3148.jpg

I got out the ole heat gun and started removing the damaged control panel overlay

SAM_3146.jpg

and stuck on the new overlay matching up the button holes as best i could

SAM_3149.jpg

Then wired up the control panel again with new buttons and switches

if your wondering what those labels are, i always label the wires when wiring a control panel as it makes it a lot easier when putting back together again

SAM_3150.jpg

This is how it looks now with new CP sideart and front CP artwork

SAM_3152.jpg

Next up, the monitor! A 26" LCD should do the trick ;)

haha just kidding, i got a few stock 25" TVs waiting for a restore like this.

Stay tuned for next update

I nearly died of horror until you said 'Just kidding'!

Man I love that carpet!

Enjoying the rebuild!

Got the monitor in?

I have a MK1 that is missing the Midway stickers on the control panel at the front and sides.

Do you know if they came on the LAI Mortal Kombat's too?

Nobody reproduces the LAI side art? One of mine is equally torn.

Cheers i have been a bit busy the last few weeks but will get stuck into the monitor hopefully tomorrow.

I don’t think I ever saw any LAI MK1’s with the front and side CP art on site back in the day.

I’m pretty sure mamepatrol can reproduce the LAI side art

I nearly died of horror until you said 'Just kidding'!

Man I love that carpet!

Haha thought it would get a few laughs. The UV carpet is awesome, was fortunate enough to get some when John’sArcade imported a roll from the states a few years ago. Cost me a small fortune but well worth it

finally got some time to look at this today. I pulled out my last 25" tv from stock, its an NEC ChromaVision, nice picture on these tubes

Was lucky enough to pick this up from local kerbside some time last year

SAM_3200.jpg

The cord was cut so i havnt tested it before, powered it up today and we have a picture, sweet

SAM_3203.jpg

decased the tv and mounted it in place, perfect fit for a 25" tube

SAM_3205.jpg

I thought i would try one of these RGB converters with the original tv chassis, just to see what the picture would look like

SAM_3202.jpg

However i didnt get very far as i found the AV wasnt working on this TV, may have been why it was chucked out.

The chassis also died after being on for about an hour, now it wont even switch on.

So i will have to get a universal chassis, probably better off option in the long run anyway

Already had a 25" bezel and the glass cut to size couple months ago from local glazier

Its coming together but will have to wait for the universal chassis now

SAM_3209.jpg

I have an NEC tube paired with a Jomac chassis and it's a thing of beauty. Mine is 26 inch, rather than 25, but NEC tubes are all known for their quality. Perfect convergence and amazing picture. Probably the best tube I have.

Yeh I think that’s the way to go, although last time I heard Joey had run out of stock for universal chassis. That was a while ago though so hopefully will have more now

Yeh I think that’s the way to go, although last time I heard Joey had run out of stock for universal chassis. That was a while ago though so hopefully will have more now

I believe the whole supply of sharp image universal chassis was sold. Jomac advised me to put out a wanted ad as he was under the impression that AA members had purchased a lot of them for future spares.

Add: The company no longer exists either. He might have a Wei-Ya to suit though.

I believe the whole supply of sharp image universal chassis was sold. Jomac advised me to put out a wanted ad as he was under the impression that AA members had purchased a lot of them for future spares.

Add: The company no longer exists either. He might have a Wei-Ya to suit though.

Yeh I was worried that might be the case. I found a universal chassis on eBay which might be a Wei-Ya, but it says it’s not compatible with MK? I wonder what would be so different about MK that makes them incompatible with these chassis

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F120966957215

Last I checked, which was last week, Joey still had some Wei-Yas for large tubes. You'd be better off paying a bit more and getting one from him, as he will properly set it up based on your tube ohms readings. Ordering one from ebay is a crapshoot at the best of times.

You're right about the Sharp Image chassis though, they are no more, which sucks :( I have three of them in my cabs and one stashed away with a working tube for a rainy day.

Last I checked, which was last week, Joey still had some Wei-Yas for large tubes. You'd be better off paying a bit more and getting one from him, as he will properly set it up based on your tube ohms readings. Ordering one from ebay is a crapshoot at the best of times.

You're right about the Sharp Image chassis though, they are no more, which sucks :( I have three of them in my cabs and one stashed away with a working tube for a rainy day.

Cheers, yeh was only gonna go the eBay one as a last resort if joey didn’t have any left. Sounds like I’m in luck so will hit him up soon for one of the Wei Yas

• 2 weeks later...

meanwhile this is the MK1 board i picked up few weeks ago.

SAM_3211.jpg

i plugged it in and didnt get any sound. checked the -5v from the board and im getting -4.79v so that checks out OK.

Plugged it into one of my other cabs and also no sound, hmm

after a bit of investigating i found i was missing the volume adjustment connector on the sound board, circled below

07185_E38-6_C7_C-49_F3-9_F8_F-_E1372_AAA2312.jpg

There are only two pins used on the connector so i plugged in a 5k ohm pot and bingo! we now have sound

1_F552160-_C45_A-4_F02-_BCE1-4_C08032_D0_F66.jpg

Seems the volume knob was faulty in the cabinet as well so i replaced that pot with the new one

SAM_3217.jpg

the game now loads with sound, now just waiting for the monitor to get sorted.

I also managed to track down a microcoin face plate and cut the hole in the door to fit

SAM_3218.jpg

gave it another coat of black paint and its looking good. forgot to drill a hole for the lock but will sort that later

SAM_3219.jpg

almost there now!

• 3 weeks later...

finally purchased a wei-ya chassis from Jomac to suit the 25" tube

SAM-3305.jpg

In it went. had to rewire the degause coil, yoke plug, ground for neck board and AC input since the connectors were different

SAM-3306.jpg

After adjusting the monitor its all done! Was suprised the picture on the wei-ya chassis is quite good!

Or maybe its the NEC tube which made the difference. Really happy with the result

74-B64-AB3-E0-E3-49-AE-8-EA6-87-A3-F97-E62-DE.jpg

This will sit next to my Ultimate MK3 cab, which is a MAME cab with all versions of MK including MK Trilogy, and the fan made MK Project & MK Chaotic!

14-C588-F7-52-CD-4-CF2-BB0-D-CE7-BB0-AF91-F4.jpg

Thanks for reading. FINISH HIM!