State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

LAI Mortal Kombat 1 restore

Quote Originally Posted by Mick80 View Post
    I believe the whole supply of sharp image universal chassis was sold. Jomac advised me to put out a wanted ad as he was under the impression that AA members had purchased a lot of them for future spares.

Add: The company no longer exists either. He might have a Wei-Ya to suit though.
    Yeh I was worried that might be the case. I found a universal chassis on eBay which might be a Wei-Ya, but it says itís not compatible with MK? I wonder what would be so different about MK that makes them incompatible with these chassis

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F120966957215

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1379 Post(s)
    Australia
    Last I checked, which was last week, Joey still had some Wei-Yas for large tubes. You'd be better off paying a bit more and getting one from him, as he will properly set it up based on your tube ohms readings. Ordering one from ebay is a crapshoot at the best of times.

You're right about the Sharp Image chassis though, they are no more, which sucks I have three of them in my cabs and one stashed away with a working tube for a rainy day.

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namastepat View Post
    Last I checked, which was last week, Joey still had some Wei-Yas for large tubes. You'd be better off paying a bit more and getting one from him, as he will properly set it up based on your tube ohms readings. Ordering one from ebay is a crapshoot at the best of times.

You're right about the Sharp Image chassis though, they are no more, which sucks I have three of them in my cabs and one stashed away with a working tube for a rainy day.
    Cheers, yeh was only gonna go the eBay one as a last resort if joey didnít have any left. Sounds like Iím in luck so will hit him up soon for one of the Wei Yas

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

meanwhile this is the MK1 board i picked up few weeks ago.

i plugged it in and didnt get any sound. checked the -5v from the board and im getting -4.79v so that checks out OK.
    Plugged it into one of my other cabs and also no sound, hmm

after a bit of investigating i found i was missing the volume adjustment connector on the sound board, circled below

There are only two pins used on the connector so i plugged in a 5k ohm pot and bingo! we now have sound

Seems the volume knob was faulty in the cabinet as well so i replaced that pot with the new one

the game now loads with sound, now just waiting for the monitor to get sorted.

I also managed to track down a microcoin face plate and cut the hole in the door to fit

gave it another coat of black paint and its looking good. forgot to drill a hole for the lock but will sort that later

almost there now!

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

finally purchased a wei-ya chassis from Jomac to suit the 25" tube

In it went. had to rewire the degause coil, yoke plug, ground for neck board and AC input since the connectors were different

After adjusting the monitor its all done! Was suprised the picture on the wei-ya chassis is quite good!
    Or maybe its the NEC tube which made the difference. Really happy with the result

This will sit next to my Ultimate MK3 cab, which is a MAME cab with all versions of MK including MK Trilogy, and the fan made MK Project & MK Chaotic!

Thanks for reading. FINISH HIM!

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tevo View Post
    Enjoying the rebuild!
    Got the monitor in?

I have a MK1 that is missing the Midway stickers on the control panel at the front and sides.
    Do you know if they came on the LAI Mortal Kombat's too?
    Nobody reproduces the LAI side art? One of mine is equally torn.
    Nice job.

I have a MK1 cab the same as this one, even down to the blue blank sections below the side-art. Always thought that was strange, but looks like that was just the way they were.
    Mine doesn't have any Midway artwork on the front or side of the control panel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information