Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New arcade project day.

Just drove down the coast tonight to pick this up. Insanely good deal. All untested and the seller said the cab was not getting any power at all, not even the marquee light. Came with the PCB, which I never thought would work and expected to have to get it repaired.

Hooked up the PCB tonight to one of my working cabs and it boots and plays. TMNT theme song has never sounded so sweet.

Still pinching myself. Will do some cleaning and testing on the weekend and check voltages and fuses.

37171407_10157722985929768_4153277385761882112_n.thumb.jpg.b9aca13de16575cb8d32a587a9158c40.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drove down the coast tonight to pick this up. Insanely good deal. All untested and the seller said the cab was not getting any power at all, not even the marquee light. Came with the PCB, which I never thought would work and expected to have to get it repaired.

Hooked up the PCB tonight to one of my working cabs and it boots and plays. TMNT theme song has never sounded so sweet.

Still pinching myself. Will do some cleaning and testing on the weekend and check voltages and fuses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132781[/ATTACH]

Could this be the first time ever it really is "just a fuse"?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132781[/ATTACH]

Damn! It was you

I got the message

"Someones coming to look at it otherwise its yours!!!"

It was a good deal

Damn! It was you

I got the message

"Someones coming to look at it otherwise its yours!!!"

It was a good deal

Yeah, I was at work all day so I was worried I was going to miss it, but the guy was a nice bloke and he said I was first to call, and I said I'd take it, so he held it for me. He said he had a lot of people in line for it.

@Kaizen, those wiring diagrams may very well come in handy. It doesn't power on at all, so I will start looking at it this weekend to see if I can figure out what's going wrong. My experience is limited, so I will be asking lots of questions.

The $64,000 dollar question :cool:

I'll either fix it up and sell it, or I will fix it up, keep it and sell something else. Undecided as yet. At $500, I couldn't pass it up regardless of my lack of space, and it's TMNT! It will be awesome if I can get it working and keep it, might sell my other 4-player MAME cab. Problem with that is I use that cab to play NBA Jam at games night. I could wire up the new cab to include the TMNT board, and a MAME setup via a switcher and wiring hacks, but it would mean I'd need to drill a third button into the CP, which I would never want to do, as I'd like to keep the outside as original as possible.

I'll do some poking around and try to get it working first, before I make any decisions on what to do with it.

Edited by namastepat

Well, step 1 taken care of. The machine was not getting any power due to the power distro box not only missing the switch, but also missing the fuse.

I took the 3A fuse and fuse holder out of my other LAI 26 inch cab and put it in, then plugged the cab into the wall. Hey presto, we have power. Heard the screen crackle to life and the fans power up, so we are getting somewhere. No way I am hooking up a board (and certainly not the TMNT board) until I test all of the voltages coming out of the PSU.

It's a mess of wires in there. Heaps of shit that's unplugged and not labelled, so I am going to have to do a whole lot of wire tracing and finding to see where it is all supposed to go.

Did a bit more poking around last night. The monitor is trashed beyond repair. The chassis gets power to the tube, but the only thing displayed is a vertical collapse line. I had a look at the tube and the convergence rings are hanging totally loose and not attached to anything. The vertical collapse line is not straight, as it should be, but wavy as all hell, which would be related to the fact that the tube would be totally out of convergence.

It's an old Zenith tube with a Kortek chassis, so a shitty monitor to begin with. I have a spare Nanao MS8-26A that I can put in it. Hopefully the Nanao still works, otherwise the chassis will be sent off to Joey for repairs. I haven't tested the monitor and it's been in storage for a while.

@Ryan555 and I made some good progress on this yesterday. Ryan tested all the HV voltages and they were fine, so we then moved onto testing the arcade PSU voltages. The PSU was getting 240V in, but not outputting anything. We pulled the psu to take a look. It was the original LAI linear PSU, missing its fuse. What is it with this cab and missing fuses? We didn't have the correct sized fuse or fuse holder, so Ryan wired a fuse directly to the wires and we then had solid voltages coming out of the PSU. Down the track, we will make the fuse more permanent, but right now, it's safe and working.

Next step was the monitor. I put in the spare Nanao 26 inch I had and hooked it all up. It's great all around, good colours and brightness, no chassis issues that need repairing, so very happy about that. We then hooked up the game board and adjusted the image. Got it looking pretty good, but when hooking up the board, the sound went very crackly and we lost some sounds. Further investigation showed that the large sound amp cap was floating and had one leg snapped off. When the cap was pressed down, the sound would come back. Ryan has take then board with him to replace the cap.

We then got stuck late in the arvo. This cab does not have the credit display or the coin mech installed. Someone has hacked a coin mech into the front door, which I will eventually remove and repair, but the original coin mech up above the control panel is gone. It has the credit board, but it is in poor shape. It has one part totally snapped off and hanging by a thread, need to investigate that part today and ID it. The player 1-4 start buttons do not light up and none of them work. With the board hooked up, we can coin up the board using the service credits, but once coined up, we couldn't use the start button to start a game. Ryan has a hunch that the lights not lighting up and the switches not working, is related to the credit board being stuffed. On the JAMMA harness, there is no wiring for P1 and P2 start, so that wiring must go elsewhere, likely to that credit board. @Arcade King is this correct? If so, I assume I have to fix that credit board, or get a replacement. It's the original TMNT custom credit board.

Does anyone know what coin mech assembly this cab used? Going to need one of those down the track if I want this properly restored.

Thanks if anyone can help. I'll tag @Kaizen also, as he likely knows some stuff.

EDIT: Forgot to add the only photo I took of the cab when we got the monitor in. Should have taken a couple more :)

IMG_20180721_171754.thumb.jpg.5728f0a175c887f31ff105841a383cb5.jpg

Edited by namastepat

• Administrators

The best person to talk to is @Jomac and Nigel from sunrise. @mrjamma is in the same boat as you as well https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/94958-LAI-TMNT-4-player-credit-board-credit-display?highlight=tmnt

When I did my cab all those years ago I was lucky to have a new one made up for me, I may have had a spare but it probably went with the cab. I think it may be the same or similar board used in the LAI NeoGeo cabs where they also pool credits.

Whats your board look like? the same as in my restore thread?

EDIT: If you haven't already had a look at my restore thread theres a LOT of info in there on the credit board and coin mechs etc.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/938-TMNT-Restoration?highlight=tmnt

I've also attached a few PDF's I found in my stash.

Credit Board MINI CREDIT PCB.pdf

Credit Board Mk4A 160-16X-NRI.pdf

• Administrators

I'd say that's just the tranny for the coin counter. At least you have the original! could be just dips need to be set right.

Change your dips to match my pic.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~golga/images/tmnt/creditboard.jpg

I have all the original Gottlieb documentation for the 4 player cab and it's credit board amongst a bunch of random stuff I was given if there's anything specific the other guys can't help with. Sounds like it's covered though!