Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Black Primer/Undercoat Available in Aus

I'm at the stage where I'll be preparing my Starfighter cabinet for painting soon and would like to prime/seal the wood in black if possible.

I've painted cabinet parts black in the past and used white primer and found that if the cab gets knocked and chips a bit of enamel off the white sticks out like dogs balls so I'd prefer to prime it in the darkest colour possible.

I asked the guy at Bunnings and he said they could tint their primer but it would end up a dark grey at best.

From the research I've done I know the product is available overseas.

https://www.topline.ie/home-decor/paint-stains/paint-trims/undercoat/douglas/decorative-range/undercoat-black-500ml

FXQx7Ki.jpg

My question is does anyone know of an Australian supplier for something similar or is it just not available here?

Using this is one option...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-weathershield-4l-low-sheen-black-exterior-paint_p1400233

9I8G8T1.jpg

Dulux Weathershield Low Sheen Acrylic in Black is a 100% acrylic self priming exterior paint for dressed and rough sawn timber.

Not sure how the cab would turn out with it though.

I would apply that paint with an Airless Sprayer.

I normally use Dulux Duramax for everything that has to be painted black as it dries quickly and fills and sands well but the sides of the cabinet are quite large and was concerned about getting an even finish which is why I was looking at using an airless sprayer.

x4laXsD.png

I'm thinking I'd need at least 10-15 cans (@$12/can) to cover the entire cabinet but it does self prime onto MDF well.

This is the sort of finish it produces (Satin Black).

jrhOcjz.jpg

Any thoughts???

Edited by Kaizen