Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flintstones Drop Target Issue

rusty_dagger

Question

The drop targets on my Flintstones arent working properly. They are registering as a switch error test.

I assumed it was the optos on the drop target board so replaced them but still get the same error. Also if I disconnect the plug on the opto board and run the test I still get the switch errors.

It not all 7 drops either. Its the first 3 on the bank of 4 and the middle one on the bank of 3.

I have checked over the CPU board and all seems OK.

I bought the machine and they have been like this from the day I bought it.

I havent replaced the ribbon cables as I dont have spares.

Any ideas?

15 answers to this question

This sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Maybe a ribbon cable swapped or turned around?

I'd start with switch test and activate all the switches by hand to see what registers, and which switches are registering incorrectly. Then, with the wiring diagram, you might spot a pattern that leads to a particular connector.

Michi.

This sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Maybe a ribbon cable swapped or turned around?

I'd start with switch test and activate all the switches by hand to see what registers, and which switches are registering incorrectly. Then, with the wiring diagram, you might spot a pattern that leads to a particular connector.

Michi.

Swapped out all of the ribbon connectors once i realised Dr Who is the same :redface and got the same results.

Tested switches in test mode and only one of 7 register but on the power on self test it errors 5 out of 7. Hope I explained that.

Swapped out all of the ribbon connectors once i realised Dr Who is the same :redface and got the same results.

Tested switches in test mode and only one of 7 register but on the power on self test it errors 5 out of 7. Hope I explained that.

I've never worked on a WPC-S system, so I can only make general suggestions, sorry :(

It could be a fault on the board but, more likely, it's just a broken wire. Have a look at the switch matrix and see whether the non-working switches are all in the same row or column:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/888/Williams_1994_The_Flintstones_English_Manual.pdf

If so, the cause is mostly likely a loose wire or a bad diode.

Michi.

Couple of shots in the dark here without going over others advice, check your LED on the 7 switch opto board is it lit, also 12v. If they are all ok then possibly U20 faulty on cpu but I doubt it or other switches won't work and a ground short row msg usually appears, also don't discount dodgy or cold solder joints an idea to reflow them on the 7 Opto PCB go into switch edge test and wiggle wires on that pcb in fact all connectors associated with those drop targets. The 7 opto should be the interface between the CPU and the 3 bank and 4 bank opto boards, reflow these too as they are constantly getting hammered, there are a couple of IC's on that7 opto board too, if you can trace which opto's are the failed ones then it might point to either one of those IC's U1/U2 LM339 quad comparitors which are known to fail at times. Also forget about the camera trick to test as they are the "U" shaped opto's.

Couple of shots in the dark here without going over others advice, check your LED on the 7 switch opto board is it lit, also 12v. If they are all ok then possibly U20 faulty on cpu but I doubt it or other switches won't work and a ground short row msg usually appears, also don't discount dodgy or cold solder joints an idea to reflow them on the 7 Opto PCB go into switch edge test and wiggle wires on that pcb in fact all connectors associated with those drop targets. The 7 opto should be the interface between the CPU and the 3 bank and 4 bank opto boards, reflow these too as they are constantly getting hammered, there are a couple of IC's on that7 opto board too, if you can trace which opto's are the failed ones then it might point to either one of those IC's U1/U2 LM339 quad comparitors which are known to fail at times. Also forget about the camera trick to test as they are the "U" shaped opto's.

LED is lit.

I had replaced U20. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

I have votage at the optos.

If I am in switch test and disconnect the plug to the opto board the switch registers.

Next thing to try is reflow on the 7 opto PCB and test it.

I was hoping to have it fixed as one of my machines that are going in to Brisbane Masters but I am rapidly running out of time. Maybe I shouldnt have left it until last minute :redface.

Are you lucky enough that Flintstones and Dr who have the same opto board? If so, swap them. In the past I have replaced the lm339 chips on opto boards which has fixed quite a few

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Btw If you look through the camera on a mobile you can see the ir LEDs in the optos.

Good for checking if the remote control for the tellie needs new batteries too.

Not all mobiles detect the IR, been through that before with diffrtent Iphone models, mentioned this in another thread when I found that out.

Not all mobiles detect the IR, been through that before with diffrtent Iphone models, mentioned this in another thread when I found that out.

True, some mobiles do have an IR filter, but the majority I've used (all Android) have not. Way easier to find than the IR detection cards Radioshack used to sell (according to Clay's guides, I've never seen one).