Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

50" Hitachi rear projection

redferatu

Question

Hey, simple question I hope. Do these work with console light guns? Looking at using one for my gun cab. I already have a rear projection that works but this with the fascia saves me a lot of time and probably money.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

11 answers to this question

Hey, simple question I hope. Do these work with console light guns? Looking at using one for my gun cab. I already have a rear projection that works but this with the fascia saves me a lot of time and probably money.

Yes, sometimes they do, depends on the model.

If they have a forced line double or field double then they wont work.

So no way to know for sure unless I try it

Itll work for sure if it displays a direct 15.7kHz signal, but if it has line doubling or 100/120Hz field doubling forced by the deflection circuitry then it wont work.

Duck Hunt on the NES probably will, and the PS2 guns might work, but nothing else will on a forced doubling set, the deflection circuitry in those sets is based around 1 scanrate, or a very narrow band of scanrates, usually between 31kHz and 33.5kHz.

Okay, so if I can find the specs online. I'll look for a manual because I'm coming up with nothing at the moment.

On my one I've used the ps2 and Xbox. So hopefully that means it's also good for everything. I can find any specs for that one either.

I get the difference now, just hard to find the info out these days. Know of any repositories of info on old TVs and monitors?

Interesting thread. I know i've had problems myself, trying to find info on CRT TV's. I guess people who needed to know what scanrate(s) a set worked at, already knew. It's not in the service manuals of most older SD TV's, which is fair enough as for the longest time NTSC was NTSC and PAL was PAL, but when you start getting to ED/doubling and HDTV's it's a right pain not to be able to pin the scanrate down without having the set in front of you to play with. And don't even get me started on TVL.

Obsolete telly museum might be a place to ask for info, I don't know anywhere else - http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot.com/

I know the game only outputs 31khz, so unless the screen can do multiple ones I guess it is unlikely. A lot harder to find this out than I had thought.

Cheers for the help both of you. I'll go back to the original plan of using what I know works. However I'll test with Dreamcast and Saturn before building a cabinet for it.

I know the game only outputs 31khz, so unless the screen can do multiple ones I guess it is unlikely. A lot harder to find this out than I had thought.

Cheers for the help both of you. I'll go back to the original plan of using what I know works. However I'll test with Dreamcast and Saturn before building a cabinet for it.

If you used the PS2 with composite or s-video then that will have been 15.7kHz because that is all they can carry, you wouldve needed component or RGB to carry a faster scan rate.

The Dreamcast should work on a 31.5kHz TV if you use the VGA box, because the TV should be passing that signal straight in without processing anything.

A lot of these TVs were designed with DVD and VHS as their primary function, in which case the image processing can make the image look better to some people's eyes, and the lag doesnt cause issues for watching TV or movies. As far as line doubling goes though, theyre generally pretty f***en crude examples, most just drawing the same line twice, or displaying the same interlaced fields twice as often.

I used component, but the TV can take composite, which is the plan later on down the track to have everything use that if I can. I still need to suss it all out. Money wise I have been putting it into bigger paying off projects, so new cables that will cost 150+ delivered is pretty low on the priority list.

I used component, but the TV can take composite, which is the plan later on down the track to have everything use that if I can. I still need to suss it all out. Money wise I have been putting it into bigger paying off projects, so new cables that will cost 150+ delivered is pretty low on the priority list.

New cables for what? That sounds like very expensive cables!

Component on a PS2 may or may not be 480p, im not sure if it is depending on the game or a console setting.

Id certainly avoid composite or s-video at all costs. Its blury as hell and component will be right up near RGB. S-video is not that much better than composite, especially on good quailty TVs that use a better quality comb filter.

Sorry, I meant it the other way around.

I have composite, want to go to component eventually.

I have a ps2, ps1, Xbox, Saturn and dreamcast. So 5x cables plus postage.

Yeah i thought you may have meant that! ;)

Only the PS2 and XboX will do component i think, im not sure that the Dreamcast does, and the Saturn and PS1 do not. Use RGB and run it through a converter to component, or add RGB to the TV, it should be reasonably easy on that set because it probably had the option for it in which case you just need to add the missing components and enable it in the service menu.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i thought you may have meant that! ;)

Only the PS2 and XboX will do component i think, im not sure that the Dreamcast does, and the Saturn and PS1 do not. Use RGB and run it through a converter to component, or add RGB to the TV, it should be reasonably easy on that set because it probably had the option for it in which case you just need to add the missing components and enable it in the service menu.