Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Namco Exceleena tidy up

So, as posted elsewhere, I now have two of these. Both will run mame, one in vertical and one horizontal. The vertical one will likely run some dreamcast stuff too and has a 15-31khz monitor atm. That may change as it also has a touch panel over the top. Currently being one of those people that drives around looking at kerbside collections looking for a donor tube. That's another story.

My first machine was my first ever build and in a rush of excitement I threw it together. Fast forward to now and I know I can do way better with the wiring and general tidyness of the inside. The intention is to have both machines pretty much identical. I have 2 pcs that are the same and way overpowered for the application. I currently have 1 arcade VGA, but will probably ditch it given the options available now. One of the cabs doesn't have a control panel atm as it is solely touch based, the other has the original panel art but is pretty badly worn. I have the original artwork file, but wondering again if I should apply my own design as the original is dated in the extreme.

Looking at the inside of both, they're pretty rough. Would it be crazy to strip it back, get rid of rust and paint the inside? I have compressor/guns etc so wouldn't half arse it. Thinking a similar colour inside as it is, but probably a hammer finish type paint for robustness. Thinking of also respraying the lot outside, the same colour probably...what are people's thoughts on changing the blue to something more contemporary? Is this crazy?

Interested to hear thoughts. I have no intention of selling and these will likely stay with me until I kick the bucket.

What you do to the inside is up to you, but I'd really advise against painting the outside. I've seen painted candy cabs, and I've never seen one that looks good. The finish is nowhere near as nice as the original finish, unless you're a pro painter and even then, it's not the same. Also, Exceleenas don't look dated, they look amazing.

I'd also keep the CP original. It looks great with the blue cab.

I still wouldn't do it. The Exceleena isn't done with normal paint, it has this glittery shine to it. Go and look at yours up close, under light. You'll see the sparkle effect, I'm not sure how easy that would be to replicate with paint. What's wrong with yours that you are considering repainting it? Is the finish on it beat up? That's the only reason I'd ever consider painting a candy cab, if the finish was so damaged that it was the only way to make it look good again.

Unless the outside is in bad condition I wouldn't touch it either. In my opinion they are the best looking cabs as they are. Wouldn't touch mine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When are you selling it to me? :cool: I'll trade you back your Atomiswave.

Ok, well scratch the colour change, that was a distant thought. But...what if it looked the same, just new? I could easily paint a test panel to test I'd get the same finish, it just looks like a lightly metallic blue. It's not in terrible condition, I just want it to look new. Think of it has a lightly scuffed classic car.

Ok, well scratch the colour change, that was a distant thought. But...what if it looked the same, just new? I could easily paint a test panel to test I'd get the same finish, it just looks like a lightly metallic blue. It's not in terrible condition, I just want it to look new. Think of it has a lightly scuffed classic car.

It's your cab, and entirely up to you. But I'd leave it. If you can manage to pull off the blue, glittery finish, then you're not losing anything. But if you stuff it up, you're messing with a classic candy cabinet. IMO, one of the best looking candy cabs ever made.

I hear ya and certainly not a risk I'd take. I have plenty of access to fibreglass so happy to test, test and re-test. I shall ponder, it ain't gonna happen overnight. I do appreciate the feedback though.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, what bit did you use to remove the tamper proof screws on the top hinge? I need to give mine a clean as well. Any updates on how much of the cabinet you're are going to paint? Mine would be in worse condition that yours.

I resprayed the CP and monitor surround on one of my Astro cabs as it already had a quite poor respray job that was rough and yellowing. I spent many hours researching here at AA and elsewhere online before starting as I didn't have any experience with spray painting.

I am very happy with my result but it if you look at it critically enough it's not perfect and doesn't look like brand new, if your aim is to make it look like it has just come out of the factory you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

A very good home spray job is possible, but it takes a great deal of research and hours of work and the paints and prep are not cheap, so yeah don't do it unless you just can't live with the current condition of the cab.

You should post some pics of the current condition, it might be possible to give it a light cut and polish and a fresh clear coat spray?

I've been away for work, so other than clearing some of the rust on the bottom of the cab, nothing has happened yet. The chassis is also off to Jomac for service. As for the security screws, bits can be easily bought. I got a set of them off ebay for less than 10 bucks delivered.

I've just wire wheeled the large parts in the cab, will spray with rust converter and then plan to hammer coat the inside. The control panel part I'll give a quick sandblast and do the same.