Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Smell when unit powered?

Anyone else had a strange Smokey kind of smell come from their unit?

If I open the unit, I can smell the scent a bit, but when I run the unit and the fan is going I can smell it a lot more.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the bad smell?

I presume it just once owned to a smoker or belonged somewhere you could smoke (like a pub)

If I open the unit, I can smell the scent a bit, but when I run the unit and the fan is going I can smell it a lot more.

I presume it just once owned to a smoker or belonged somewhere you could smoke (like a pub)

My unit doesn't smell, you should see a doctor about that ....

• Administrators

A bit more info about your unit would be helpful.

does your table work or are you trying to get it going?

if it's off and has a smell it might well be what your initial thoughts were, there's not much to a table, pull out what you can, wipe it all down with your choice of cleaner, windex IMO, also clean the wiring, you could use moist baby wipes for that, ( got that idea from @Glenn70 ) and if you have an air compressor, great, blow out the power supply, actually if you have an air compressor and go the remove what you can way then start with the air then wipe down........just a suggestion.

A bit better, but I can't really explain it...

I tried very hard to identify what part inside the cabinet was causing the smell, and for the life of me I couldn't....

But I removed the coin tray from the unit and gave that a good scrub to get rid of rust etc... and I ended up accidentally breaking the glass... (I know... I know...) so I replaced the glass and I'd say 80% of the smell is now gone... it's very hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Breaking the glass really tough me a valuable lesson. It also taught me that I am really shit at putting on a bezel decal....

A bit better, but I can't really explain it...

I tried very hard to identify what part inside the cabinet was causing the smell, and for the life of me I couldn't....

But I removed the coin tray from the unit and gave that a good scrub to get rid of rust etc... and I ended up accidentally breaking the glass... (I know... I know...) so I replaced the glass and I'd say 80% of the smell is now gone... it's very hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Breaking the glass really tough me a valuable lesson. It also taught me that I am really shit at putting on a bezel decal....

I hope you replaced the glass with Toughened Safety Glass & not plain window glass.