Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Which screen to use?

Get a proper monitor. 19 or 22 inch available from one of Aussie Arcade Sponsors

Good price, Suited for the job (Viewing angle & brightness & mounting)

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/mygamesroom

Be aware your going to have to deal with widescreen issues for larger non 4:3 screens.

Thanks. I didn't even know these existed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dell 2001fp or 2007FPB or Benq Q20U3 are both 4:3 IPS 20” monitors. You can pick them up 2nd hand from time to time and they are just the job. Pay between $50 and $75 generally.

I have used these successfully before several times. They are getting harder to find though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is the native resolution of the 19 or 22" Arcade LCD screens listed above? I grabbed a 27" I think for my cabinet so am curious what the actual size difference would be maintain correct aspect ratio between say the 22" and the wide screen 27"

For those not happy with using a bigger Wide Screen - what's your reasoning? I actually think some games look fine stretched to fill the screen (so bigger image) and for those that don't you can still maintain the correct aspect ratio (albeit with black bars - as per above not sure of the difference in physical displayed size) so was just curious. Like if you went a big Viewlix or equivalent and run older stuff your going to have to decide one way or the other.

Also for those using LCD in cabinet are you adding scan lines etc. (either hardware or software) and other filters to try for more authentic CRT look?

The last question I had what are people using for a bezel if mounting LCD? I used some art card but wondered what others have used.

• Administrators

If I had no option but to use widescreen, I'd force aspect ratio and build a bezel that masked the ends of the screen. I'd still hate it but what else would you do.

I've stockpiled 4 x 19" screens for so I don't need to worry about this pain for a while.

Brad

So what is the native resolution of the 19 or 22" Arcade LCD screens listed above? I grabbed a 27" I think for my cabinet so am curious what the actual size difference would be maintain correct aspect ratio between say the 22" and the wide screen 27.

We’d need to know the aspect ratio of your widescreen to calculate.

A 16:9 full HD screen would need to be 24.7” to have the same real estate in forced 4:3 mode with a 2.6” border either side.

Your 27” monitor is the equivalent of a 22” 4:3 monitor. I think the screens I quoted are technically slightly more than 20”?? 20.1” I think. They are 1600x1200.

I’d rather have a screen without the borders and definitely not stretched! You can customise what ever look you want so unless you have a crt it’s just preference and doesn’t matter which screen you pick. IPS or equivalent is important for more than one player and even more so in a cocktail.

If I had no option but to use widescreen, I'd force aspect ratio and build a bezel that masked the ends of the screen. I'd still hate it but what else would you do.

Brad

If you were building a custom cab what are peoples thoughts basically sizing the cabinet to the size of the screen used (so a big lcd like 32 etc.) and then using a software bezel for games that are 4:3 - or whatever (rather than physically masking the ends of the screen as per above - so centre game image in the LCD)?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks @tas1981 - no idea what screen I grabbed - actually haven't fired up the cab for ages and cant remember how I had it setup (video filters etc.). I think I salvaged the power supply out of the desktop that was in there for a friends kid so now I am using so old netbook and vaguely remember it struggled with the display filters etc.

Reason I was wondering about using a bigger screen but then only using a particular section of the screen (so 4:3 or whatever) is seeing some of those virtual pinball builds that do similar for the back screen etc.

• Administrators
If you were building a custom cab what are peoples thoughts basically sizing the cabinet to the size of the screen used (so a big lcd like 32 etc.) and then using a software bezel for games that are 4:3 - or whatever (rather than physically masking the ends of the screen as per above - so centre game image in the LCD)?

Reason I was wondering about using a bigger screen but then only using a particular section of the screen (so 4:3 or whatever) is seeing some of those virtual pinball builds that do similar for the back screen etc.

For me it would be an absolute last resort. Widescreen in a cab just looks weird and wrong especially if you then design the cab around it. The cab will be out of proportion. But remember this is a personal opinion. I'd never do it but if you have no other option, just try and make it proportional and look good.

Brad

Whatever meets your specific needs. I did not need widescreen, wanted a decent size but could not go too big, needed IPS (good viewing angles) and didn’t want to pay any more than I had to.

To get more than the equivalent 20.1” 4:3 real estate would require a large-ish widescreen (27” plus) which coupled with the other requirement started to mean increased costs and impacting other parts of my build.

The Dell screens last. They are cheap and they perfectly fit my requirements.

If I had built an upright I would be looking for an authentic look which 4:3 gives, but if not tied to a particular authentic look then nothing to stop going huge on a widescreen.

Since I built mine in to a coffee table my needs were very specific.

Bottom line is there are options either way and you just need to define you key requirements and let that decide for you.

For reference here is my usage and why it was specific. This was the first one I think which was not 4:3. After this I only used 4:3 and it was better.

Here is my first build to show you why I had specific requirements...

Coffee Table Arcade

http:// https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=18421&share_tid=81077&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaussiearcade%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D81077&share_type=t