Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Are whole playfield overlays a good idea?

maxi

Always been curious about this. Seems pretty simple to sand a whole playfield and lay an overlay over the whole thing, but do they hurt the value of the machine? And can they be clearcoated over? Do they fade or are they pretty hard-wearing? Can you lay one down and whack a plastic playfield protector over it and off you go?

I would be curious to know the verdict on here from those who have done it or have the knowledge.

Cheers

Max

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t have any experience other than an aborted small overlay, but I did some online research for fun on full ones and I would say no way in hell... Assuming it was perfectly sized and printed well, imagine laying and lining up a decal made of similar stuff as the cabinet decal. Inserts would look terrible and even with a playfield protector, I wouldn’t expect it to last. Playfield hardtops look interesting...

I had been entertaining this idea for quite some time - I guess with this 'perfect' image of a 'perfect' playfield and a 'perfect' game. I was shot down in flames within about 2 seconds when I spoke to a mate of mine who restores pinballs. He suggested it was a bad idea and they were were not a good idea and not to do it. I take his word as gospel but must admit I still have this image of a perfect looking machine floating around in my head :). One day!

Depends on the wear of a playfield I imagine which would dictate the way each individual owner contemplates their options. I would imagine that if the playfield is 'recoverable' by other means then an overlay wouldn't be highly recommended. 'Unrecoverable', then I guess any option is better than none. I have never played a game with an overlay so I can only comment on the advice I received from someone who knows his stuff :).

Cheers and best.

OK i have seen play-field overlays and they were a Funhouse and Centaur. Preparation iis the key to a flat surface and a smooth solid base colour, before applying the decal just as you would a cabinet and clear coating to finish off the job, just don't use a laminated overlay and try and clear it. Finished product if done correctly looks great and is way cheaper than buying a new playfield if money is an issue, it won't affect the price because I know for a fact they both sold for good money. I bet anyone who has one won't sell it for anything less than what the market is dictating. Play field overlays are a good alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 haven't seen a good one and collectors tell me an overlayed pf makes your game worth zero

The same collectors who want top dollar if it were them selling the same machine?

Edited by hotty

OK i have seen play-field overlays and they were a Funhouse and Centaur. Preparation iis the key to a flat surface and a smooth solid base colour, before applying the decal just as you would a cabinet and clear coating to finish off the job, just don't use a laminated overlay and try and clear it. Finished product if done correctly looks great and is way cheaper than buying a new playfield if money is an issue, it won't affect the price because I know for a fact they both sold for good money. I bet anyone who has one won't sell it for anything less than what the market is dictating. Play field overlays are a good alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

The same collectors who want top dollar if it were them selling the same machine?

Not really in this case. These guys I spoke to were into restoring pfs via airbrushing etc no matter how tragic the pf was. I saw an embryon that was cactus come up pretty nice. They did have another 4 as references. The overlays I've seen the shooter lane wood was pink, inserts were terrible as far as accuracy. I'm told every pf is unique so I cant see an overlay fitting well apart from the master it's made from.

Are whole playfield overlays a good idea?

Play field over layed machines are 100% worth a lot less than a normal machine and I can say this from experience, I had a really nice restored Bally with an overlay and it took me over 2 years to sell and it wasn’t that overly priced and every time I had a bite on a sale the fact that it had an overlay put them off.

I eventually sold it to a collector who liked everything else about it that was going to replace the play field with another one.

And they noticeably don’t play as good as a normal play field machine (well mine diddnt anyway)

So in conclusion I would never have another overlay play field machine again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob1966

Yeah hard top looks like a great idea. Postage is $150 from the USA but if you bought 2 or 3 amongst restores you could split the shipping. I'm thinking of getting a Frontier pinball as they are now a wanted pin apparantely
Not if you use a shipping aggregator like myus.com

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ooh how much did it turn out to be postage please?
Between 40 and 50 usd for FedEx Priority (1 - 4 days).

Pm me if you think your going to use them and i can send a referall that gives you a 20% shipping discount on first order.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

If done right, I can't see an issue with an overlay.

What is the real difference between the artwork being screen printed on compared to airbrush compared to an overlay.

Put good automotive clear coat over them, and in reality, there should be no difference.

I'm actually hand doing in a paint program a TMNT playfield for the sole purpose of an overlay, as the playfield would cost too much to repair and paint.

Still a heck of a lot of work, once I finished the artwork, then it will be test prints to get everything lined up.