Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Life for old hardware

What's the consensus on what to do with old PC hardware. I've got some pretty much new gear that now very old. Talking quad core core 2 duo era.

I assume it's not really worth anything, what are other folks doing when this time comes?

• Administrators

I hoard old gear. Fixed many an issue for myself, family, friends OR given them away when needed. I also keep them as Mame/Project machines.

Once they get to a certain age or cannibalised so far that the remainder is useless I toss them out. I generally keep Ram, HDD's and power supplies from wrecked cases although I gave away 3 bags of ram on here last year I think. I have a stockpile of about 40 HDD's of varying size though. I should throw out the IDE ones at least, just haven't got to it yet.

Brad

I hoard old gear. Fixed many an issue for myself, family, friends OR given them away when needed. I also keep them as Mame/Project machines.

Once they get to a certain age or cannibalised so far that the remainder is useless I toss them out. I generally keep Ram, HDD's and power supplies from wrecked cases although I gave away 3 bags of ram on here last year I think. I have a stockpile of about 40 HDD's of varying size though. I should throw out the IDE ones at least, just haven't got to it yet.

Brad

My current desktop is cannabalised from systems. Got given it free so as i had stuff scored thru auctions it gets bits added swapped ect lol

Hdds always keep as can mix and match or get cheap 2.5 enclosures to make portable hdds for the kids tvs.

Part i hate is core duo still ok for net surfing but no one really wants them anymore

• Administrators
My current desktop is cannabalised from systems. Got given it free so as i had stuff scored thru auctions it gets bits added swapped ect lol

Hdds always keep as can mix and match or get cheap 2.5 enclosures to make portable hdds for the kids tvs.

Part i hate is core duo still ok for net surfing but no one really wants them anymore

Core 2 Duos are fantastic Mame machines imo. I have about 7 external drives here. I haven't used them in years now. It's all out NAS's for storage these days. I have 2 replicating for redundancy.

Brad

I keep a stash of old hardware around for when I want to build a new MAME machine. Any core2duo that is 2.66ghz and above is good for the massive majority of games in MAME. It's only my flagship MAME machines that run older model i3s and i5s, and that's only to run CAVE games.

My parent's PC has always been a cobbled together mish mash of my old parts. They are still running a core2duo 2.66 with 4 gig of ram and a 320 gig HDD. Does them fine now and will continue to do them fine for years.