Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Eatpm relay board sooooo hot

The relay board connection got so hot it melted the wires and molex and now have a couple of loose pins to boot, first day of having it set up, I could smell it but couldn’t find it until I noticed half the back box lights out. Before I turned it on this morning the connectors looked good, they didn’t look burned maybe a little brown though. What has caused this in 6-8 hrs ? All the lights were working as they should have. Any help would be much appreciated, in the mean time I better get onto Ken [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Oxidation inside the IDC connection leads to resistance. Resistance leads to heat. Heat speeds the oxidation. More resistance. More heat. More oxidation.

Ta da brown crispy connectors.

Solution is to replace the header and the connector, preferably using trifurcon connectors to increase the surface area.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#General_Illumination_Issues

Bought a new relay for Ken to install while he does the board as well. Sounds good, was hoping it was isolated to this point only.

Bought a new relay for Ken to install while he does the board as well. Sounds good, was hoping it was isolated to this point only.

All the GI connections on System 11 machines are subject to this problem (and other models too). It's not just the relay boards you need to look out for. The connections from the transformer to the PSU or interconnect board. The connectors from there. etc. All of them can burn.

e.g. on the interconnect board of a Radical!, this was the connector from the transformer for GI:

20170220_154728.thumb.jpg.ad7e7e1f4e94022aa8994c9cffa561d3.jpg

I loved the dodgy line cord hack too.

The other thing to watch on the relay boards is cracked solder joints.

All the GI connections on System 11 machines are subject to this problem (and other models too). It's not just the relay boards you need to look out for. The connections from the transformer to the PSU or interconnect board. The connectors from there. etc. All of them can burn.

e.g. on the interconnect board of a Radical!, this was the connector from the transformer for GI:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132293[/ATTACH]

I loved the dodgy line cord hack too.

The other thing to watch on the relay boards is cracked solder joints.

Yeah had the same problems with the interconnect board on my Earthshaker, and the hack had been done on it also, lol. I'm sure Ken said that the hack was to keep it cool and to not worry about it ? anyway the rest of the game seems fine..no hot spots, well nothing nearly as hot as that connector got. Thanks mate