Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I Have A Solution To A Problem But Who Has The Answer to The Problem Created?

Do you get real pissed when you open a full bottle of soft drink, have a glass out of it, put it back in the fridge, lid on tight and a day or too later go for another glass and it is flat?:realmad:

Well I for one was very pissed especially when it is a two liter bottle and that got me thinking, considering it comes like that, why does it go flat and how can I stop it?.:blink:

Well the reason it goes flat is because it now has a lot more air in the bottle than it did when it was originally bottled......Soooo, now I crush the bottle till it just has about that 1" of air in the top of the now crushed bottle, screw the lid on and it stays fresh for over a week. :)....Problem solved but now the problem it has created...

The bottles don't stand up in the fridge....:o

Enjoy your fresh soft drink for longer..;)

Get a wine bottle stopper that has the abilty to vacuum seal the bottle, that way the air is removed and the carbonation should remain. Or buy cans or smalll bottles instead of opening a full large bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you get real pissed when you open a full bottle of soft drink

Only if it's mixed with spirits.:)

You must be in America if you are "pissed" - I thought (in Australia) 'pissed' meant you were drunk....:unsure

Unless, of course, you mean that you were "pissed OFF"....:lol

I think he was "pissed" when he came up with the idea in the first place:)

Ok I have put my analytical mind to this "issue". My Solution is to replace the removed carbon dioxide, with carbon dioxide ! How you might ask....well when you drink coke, whats the first thing you do ? Burp up the carbon dioxide into the atmosphere ! So to fix the problem and stop global warming. Grab the open bottle and immediately burp back into it, thus refilling it with the carbon dioxide you had removed ! Brilliant ! I think Im as smart as Wile E Coyote :p

Sitting here scratching my head at the solutions.

The reason it's going flat is because the excess carbon dioxide is exiting the liquid.

To keep it fizzy you need to ADD PRESSURE to the contents to reduce the carbon dioxide escaping (the liquid).

Crushing the bottle is only going to LOWER the pressure as the plastic wants to hold it's original shape.

LOWERING the pressure will make it go flat quicker.

Same with a wine vacume pump - It lowers pressure by removing the air - accelerating the flattening process.

The reason for wine vacumes is because wine goes off once exposed to air - So removing air preserves the wine longer.

Your example of crushing the bottle giving better results is probably more to do with the manufacturing process

putting more gas into some batches that others - Or slightly leaky or older stock bottles - Or the effects of alcohol ;)

You can buy caps that will pump pressure back into the bottle and keep the CO2 in the liquid.

https://www.amazon.com/JOKARI-5002-Jokari-Fizz-Keeper-Pump/dp/B00004XSH3

Or you could also try carbon dioxide tablets. Drop one in when it's about half full and loosing it's fizz and seal the lid.

The best solution is obviously NOT to buy 2 ltr bottles - Like anyone needs that much sugar sitting disguised as a drink.

You must be in America if you are "pissed" - I thought (in Australia) 'pissed' meant you were drunk....:unsure

Unless, of course, you mean that you were "pissed OFF"....:lol

I pride myself in being a Aussie and it is my white male right of privilege to shorten a slang term "pissed off" even further to just pissed.:lol

As for whether this crushing the bottle works, try it and see if it works.

I actually put it down to less space in the bottle to allow the carbon dioxide to mix with a large mass of air. While the bottle is crushed and the lid on tight, the bottle cannot expand either so there is no where for the carbon to escape from the liquid to just like the limited space in a brand new bottle.

There is something I have found as well. Without crushing the bottle and just not putting the drink back in the fridge makes it retain the gas for longer.

The reason I have been intrigued by this is if you see the bottling process, the liquid is simply put in an open bottle before it moves on and a lid screwed on and that is it, no carbon tablet.

It then gets put in a box and delivered. You can then store the bottle for months and when you open it, it is fresh which makes me think it isn't time related.

If you gently open the lid and replace it, it is still good for months after so it isn't pressure related that once the gas escapes, it deteriorates so there aren't to many more things that can cause it to go flat.

Still, I may be wrong in my "highly scientific no expense spared theorys", but right at the moment while it seems to be working I think @wiredoug has come to the best concussion to the second problem by simply laying the fridge on it's side so the flattened bottles don't fall over.:lol

I have shelf mounts for bottles that stop bottles on their sides from rolling around. They're removable and latch onto the back of the shelf which means I can take them out when I don't need the extra bottle storage.

https://secure.fisherpaykel.com/au/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=276427&CatalogId=003&CatalogDetailId=35&NSM=Y

Get yourself a soda syphon bottle, pour the contents of your original drink into the empty syphon bottle then add the CO2 canister into the bottle. This should stay charged because when the trigger is pushed the drink should be forced out. But I think the excessive carbonation might explode the bottle:lols-l300.jpg.6dfb06a55b5422e2fef43e09ae1a2d65.jpg

Get yourself a soda syphon bottle, pour the contents of your original drink into the empty syphon bottle then add the CO2 canister into the bottle. This should stay charged because when the trigger is pushed the drink should be forced out. But I think the excessive carbonation might explode the bottle:lol[ATTACH=CONFIG]123940[/ATTACH]

Ahh, the old original soda stream, I remember these as a kid trying to do choc milk, I found out it does not work well :lol

Ahh, the old original soda stream, I remember these as a kid trying to do choc milk, I found out it does not work well :lol

Out of interest What did it do? did it separate the milk?

As for the topic, After years of working in industry especially when welding and unable to leave job for most of the day, the old soft drink would get rather flat and warm, lol after while it no longer bugged me when it went flat, instead developed a complete and utter tolerance to flat softdrink lol

So flat softdrink doesnt get thrown out in my house ahaha, allot of my mates get shocked lol

that looks flat, Nah its all good lol

Ahh, the old original soda stream, I remember these as a kid trying to do choc milk, I found out it does not work well [emoji38]

You probably want to use cream charges for that. Nitrous works with cream so I think it'd work better with chocolate milk than CO2.

seriously, so much bad shit in those drinks, when i gave up smoking pot 2 years ago was one of the best things ever.

stopped drinking 'soft drink' about 15 years ago, so much sugar and chemicals..felt it was ever better than stopping drinking coke etc.

took up drinking sparkling mineral water instead, so much cheaper without all the shit in it.

• 2 weeks later...