State
      New South Wales
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Quoted
      38 Post(s)
      Australia

Shipping from USA - Tax

For about a year now I have been using ShipiTo which is package forwarding service that allows you to consolidate packages and recieve cheaper shipping provider to AUS.

Its been a great service however now TAX !

Received this email today.
      Beginning July 1, 2018, Shipito is required by the Australian government to collect a 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST) on all “low value goods” imported into Australia, with a value of 1,000 AUD or less. GST is calculated based on the value of any items you ship, plus our service charges. As a result, you will now see a charge for GST at mailout.

CAN anyone recommend a package forwarding service that may not be getting hit with the TAX?

This user has no status.

----

State
      Blacktown
      Mentioned
      142 Post(s)
      Quoted
      946 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by koolego View Post
      For about a year now I have been using ShipiTo which is package forwarding service that allows you to consolidate packages and recieve cheaper shipping provider to AUS.

Its been a great service however now TAX !

Received this email today.
      Beginning July 1, 2018, Shipito is required by the Australian government to collect a 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST) on all “low value goods” imported into Australia, with a value of 1,000 AUD or less. GST is calculated based on the value of any items you ship, plus our service charges. As a result, you will now see a charge for GST at mailout.

CAN anyone recommend a package forwarding service that may not be getting hit with the TAX?
      Dude it’s 10% if you can’t afford the extra $50 to a $100 then should you really be buying the goods. And I’m sure all commercial shipping company’s will do the tax collection thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      In: Iron man, Metallica prem, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
      Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Demolition man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, The Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, Roadshow, The Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

is draining

Drunk

State
      Brisbane, QLD
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Quoted
      123 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
      Dude it’s 10% if you can’t afford the extra $50 to a $100 then should you really be buying the goods. And I’m sure all commercial shipping company’s will do the tax collection thing.
      Yep, they will certainly be the first ones targeted, although there's a loophole here, as they don't sell the goods.
      As long as the sellers base the GST thing on the shipping address and not the billing one, you'll never pay the GST twice.

I'll have to ship a couple of stuff from MyUS soon, I'll update and tell you if they charge the GST too.

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      50 Post(s)
      Quoted
      763 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by capsule View Post
      Yep, they will certainly be the first ones targeted, although there's a loophole here, as they don't sell the goods.
      As long as the sellers base the GST thing on the shipping address and not the billing one, you'll never pay the GST twice.

I'll have to ship a couple of stuff from MyUS soon, I'll update and tell you if they charge the GST too.
      The info on the ato site explicitly mentions forwarders and how they should collect tax.

From https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-l...mported-goods/

treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer
      Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

is draining

Drunk

State
      Brisbane, QLD
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Quoted
      123 Post(s)
      Australia
      Without any surprise, MyUS does it too:

Australian Members: You CAN still shop Amazon.com USA after the 1 July GST tax update! Simply use a VPN to access and shop Amazon.com, and checkout using your MyUS address. Learn more. For all stores, a 10% GST will be applied to shipments valued under 1000 AUD at time of ship request.

Frank_fjs is offline Geek it till it MHz
      is on PCE overdrive!

Piratey

State
      Adelaide
      Mentioned
      30 Post(s)
      Quoted
      464 Post(s)
      Australia
      I think it stinks and it's going to get worse. A parcel tax is next on the agenda followed by a customs tax.

Fair enough if the generated revenue was put to good use, however sadly it's not.

Cost of living is high enough and we are already taxed to death in EVERY area. Yet education remains sub-par, health care costs soar out of control and foreign debt is unimaginable. Billions spent on practically the poorest performing internet structure in the world, only country that charges stamp duty on housing and now we have the highest electricity prices in the WORLD. Oh and we no longer own anything whatsoever.

Enough is enough. Sick of this greed and corruption. Our country is going down the toilet and no-one is noticing.
      SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
      PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

is David

Meh

State
      Victoria Point (Brisbane)
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Quoted
      113 Post(s)
      Australia
      I don't understand why people are upset that they now have to pay GST on overseas orders.

You've been paying it for a long time now on goods ordered within Australia, so it's not really an extra tax, just collecting what's was always due.
      "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

Frank_fjs is offline Geek it till it MHz
      is on PCE overdrive!

Piratey

State
      Adelaide
      Mentioned
      30 Post(s)
      Quoted
      464 Post(s)
      Australia
      It's upsetting as we already have the highest retail prices in the world. Markup here is insane, as high as 300% in some cases. At least there was some form of refuge by purchasing OS.

I don't pay VAT when purchasing goods from the UK, conversely UK residents don't pay our GST when purchasing from us. Seems unfair that everything I purchase from OS is now 10% dearer. I already lose 1/3 of my pay to tax. I lost 20K+ to the government when I purchased my home so there goes my savings and opportunity to lower my mortgaged amount. Heaven forbid I use my air conditioner or heating for fear of crippling electricity costs. In SA our vehicle registration is amongst the highest in the world. Fair enough if we had something to show for all the money the government takes but we do not. We are so far behind in nearly every important social area.

Thing with the GST is it never balances out to a flat 10%, retailers always take advantage. Look at new motor vehicles as an example, prior to the introduction of the flat 10% GST tax on cars was close to 20%. Have cars dropped in price since the 10% tax reduction? No, dealerships just padded out their retail pricing so the consumer saves nothing and they pocket the extra.

If they, the government and Australian retailers like that dispicible Gerry Harvey, want to 'level out the playing field ' perhaps they could lower their retail prices or reduce their exorbitant wages and life long pension plans.

Modern slaves aren't in chains, they're in debt.
      SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
      PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

is draining

Drunk

State
      Brisbane, QLD
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Quoted
      123 Post(s)
      Australia
      Dude, go live in Belgium for a while and you’ll understand what high taxes are ��

This user has no status.

Happy

State
      N/A
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Quoted
      28 Post(s)
      Netherlands
      sadly it is going to be on every package coming into Aus, even ebay etc, not sure about GIFT packages

here is a gst and duty calculator as a rough guide as it will not just be GST but a duty tax as well and in the near future possibly a processing fee (as it is going to take time charging us GST and storing goods until we pay) of $2-$7 per package depending on value apparently
      https://www.wwcf.com.au/customs-duty...ax-calculator/

found this article and questions and answers at the end detail more info:
      https://www.penguinaccounts.com.au/g...-imports-2018/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information