Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Commodore 1084s-p Repair

• Administrators

Just a quick log on an easy fix I did to one of my 1084s-p's the other day.

I wanted to test a 32k upgrade I did to my Apple 2GS Transwarp GS card so I pulled one of my dormant 1084s monitors out however just moving it from the bedroom to my desk it decided to die :unsure

I pulled it apart and found the 2 amp fuse was blown so replacing it the monitor fired up again. The nice thing about the 1084s-p (Phillips) model is the PSU is separate from the main chassis so while I had it a part I replaced the infamous power switch :D.

I needed to grab a disk drive for my GS and when I came back out the monitor was dead again however this time the light on the power switch was still on.

The main power supply was still outputting the 125, 25.5 and 15.8 volts so the problem is on the main chassis itself.

Thinking about the problem I started testing all the voltages on the chassis

1084s.jpg

I actually found the fault pretty quickly.

Testing C491 I had 16 volts but on C492 where there's suppose to be 12 volts nothing.

Replacing the 7812 @ IC403 fixed the issue!

While I had it apart I tested the caps with my LCR meter and replaced several tired ones.

I'm glad I took the time to look at the monitor and save it from the tip.

• Administrators

Thanks mate.

I just wish I attempted to repair a 1084sd I threw out several years ago although that one started smoking. At the time 1084's were still a dime a dozen. In hindsight it would have been the EHT from the noises it was making.

My Apple IIGS monitor should be here soon. I'm looking forward to converting that to 240 volts for a bit of fun.

• Administrators
@Arcade King Is there a way to convert a IIgs Astec psu from 110v to 240v?

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Google found this. Seems as easy as one jumper providing your caps are rated high enough.

http://www.appleiioz.com/appleiioz/Apple_IIoz/Projects/Entries/2015/4/14_IIgs_110v_to_240v.html

• Administrators

Is there a schematic available?

Sorry about that mate, I didn't realise there were different kinds of PSU's. I'm going to assume my 2 IIGS's have Dynacomp PSU's.

Here's another link that might provide some clues.

http://www.apple2faq.com/knowledgebase/convert-us-power-supply-220v/

Edit and another

http://www.appleiioz.com/appleiioz/Apple_IIoz/Projects/Entries/2017/4/17_Apple_IIGS_ASTEC_Power_Supply_Repair.html

Yes Astec and Dynacomp were the 2 manufacturers of power supplies for the apple II range.

Unfortunately some of the later designs did not support both 240v and 110v. Trevor can you provide a model number or if possible a photo of the board and I can confirm if it was possible.

Cheers,

DC

Yes Astec and Dynacomp were the 2 manufacturers of power supplies for the apple II range.

Unfortunately some of the later designs did not support both 240v and 110v. Trevor can you provide a model number or if possible a photo of the board and I can confirm if it was possible.

Cheers,

DC

I'll do that as soon as I get home.

Cheers Trev.

• Administrators
I'll do that as soon as I get home.

Cheers Trev.

I've been messing around with my 2GS today and both mine have Astec psu's

EDIT: I meant to write I could take a picture of the inside to see if there's any obvious difference.

I'm having trouble with my MicroDrive Turbo and Transwarp GS. When I enable Transwarp Speed I get "Volume not Formatted" however Setting Transwarp speed to Normal GSOS boots normally :unsure

Cheers,

DC

Here you go.

I've seen the same board used in a 240v psu but it has additional components.

Cheers Trev.67f290a9cf4761aea52413f094143195.jpg54e2fc98674c7674f08fab447331e9ee.jpgb13918c794f930fd2e128959bea8b9c9.jpg445da51a1614d57b5c2f2c2199abcff7.jpge2d50a3d23bca34e14a7be217e6e403a.jpg01cc696b468c4c3d36fb18aff5069ac7.jpg

I've been messing around with my 2GS today and both mine have Astec psu's

EDIT: I meant to write I could take a picture of the inside to see if there's any obvious difference.

I'm having trouble with my MicroDrive Turbo and Transwarp GS. When I enable Transwarp Speed I get "Volume not Formatted" however Setting Transwarp speed to Normal GSOS boots normally :unsure

It's a pity they're not Dynacomp. All you'd have to do is remove a link and you've got a 240v psu.

Cheers Trev.

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the photos..

Unfortunately this isn’t a model that was designed to support both voltages.

I actually have both versions of the Astec psu, from memory the 240v version is model no aa13591 and does has a similar looking board.

I had planned on comparing them side by side to see if I can identify the differences. Will be interesting to see if they used the same board with slightly different components.

Cheers,

DC

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the photos..

Unfortunately this isn’t a model that was designed to support both voltages.

I actually have both versions of the Astec psu, from memory the 240v version is model no aa13591 and does has a similar looking board.

I had planned on comparing them side by side to see if I can identify the differences. Will be interesting to see if they used the same board with slightly different components.

Cheers,

DC

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I'd be interested to see what you find.

Cheers Trev.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Trev,

Sorry for the delay.. Finally got a chance to open the power supply for comparison. Looks like the boards are the same however there is some variation in the components and those that are populated. Detailing the exact differences is probably beyond my capabilities but I'm happy to take some photo's and you can see if you feel it's possible and if so we can go from there.

Cheers,

DC

IMG_9261.thumb.jpg.82db9049e1cddf6ee26651fdfee5d734.jpg

IMG_9260.thumb.jpg.693b2806775c0a73ed0f96e8a957daa3.jpg