Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Very sad flippers on My Shark !

So, giving my Hankin Shark the once over to see what is wrong and needs fixing ( keep in mind I got this off an electrician ).

First I noticed the flippers where very sad to say the least. Both EOT switches where not working and there where a few burnt out coils in the cabinet to show they had replaced them but not fixed the fault.

Then I noticed the transformer had escaped it cage ! When I checked this, i found it is not the original transformer and not screwed down. Thank goodness it did not move too much when we moved it to my place, If it had shorted on the cage, then the smoke genie might have escaped !

Also on inspection I found the main earth point on the transformer loose and the earth braid had no connection to earth ! Someone had rewired the mains cable in and fitted a service socket in the cabinet, but had not bothered to reconnect the earth to everything else in the cabinet :o.

And just to top all this off, there is a couple of big arse capacitors sort of jambed in the base of the cabinet .

Needless to say , this will need 2 new flipper assemblies ( old too shagged to repair) Fix down the tranny, fix all the cabinet earthing and re-wire and re-build the rectified supply in the cabinet. Then I can start on everything else......save the Shark !

20180206_184300_resized.thumb.jpg.2151da0e0e73363acd48ddc6d07b3a66.jpg20180206_184322_resized.thumb.jpg.31fca2a50904626778abb1ece26ceb9d.jpg20180206_184329_resized.thumb.jpg.c82673aad277f92afd1b661eb67ed453.jpg

Could of removed the earths to stop the household ELCB from tripping. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that done before rather than fix a problem.

As for your flippers, just change them to a popular brands mechs. Those original Hankin mechs are just like the early Stern mechs material wise made of a material more like aluminum than steel and bend to easy for the job intended with bolt holes that strip out far to easy and just to hard to get parts for.

Just throw Bally SS parts at it and be done with it once and for all is my advice.

To add to your headache, the two upper flippers have been removed. It looks good without them and won't really affect gameplay, but guessing they weren't taken out for looks. Suppose it was easier to remove than fix.

Theres suppose to be upper flippers !!!!! I had no idea ! Wow, I will look when I get home from work ....:o

Theres suppose to be upper flippers !!!!! I had no idea ! Wow, I will look when I get home from work ....:o

A re-themed Bally Space Invaders.

You have never noticed the striking similarities between Hankins and similar vintage Ballys before?.

Listen to the sounds that Shark makes and tell me they aren't a near copy of Bally's Space invaders including the background sound.

The left mid playfield loop moved from the center of Space invaders to the left side and if you look deeper you will see a whole heap more "similarities"...

Bare in mind things like in line drop targets were not included probably cost related deletions.;)

You can look into the game rules and they are "similar" as well.

You show me one Hankin and I will show you the Bally it was "inspired" by.;)

You have never noticed the striking similarities between Hankins and similar vintage Ballys before?.

Listen to the sounds that Shark makes and tell me they aren't a near copy of Bally's Space invaders including the background sound.

The left mid playfield loop moved from the center of Space invaders to the left side and if you look deeper you will see a whole heap more "similarities"...

Bare in mind things like in line drop targets were not included probably cost related deletions.;)

Didn't realize that they were so similar good to know

And Space Invaders wouldn't look as great as it does if Bally didn't rip off Geiger [emoji13]

Well once I got home I checked where the secondary flippers are suppose to be, and I have some shabby white posts !!!!! Mind you they actually suit the game in that position....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123853[/ATTACH]

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3339/image-6.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=123853&d=1518162449&thumb=1

Hard to tell which would be better. The top flippers were usually so weak on site and couldn't really do much with them anyway and because they were driving 2 flipper coils at once, the bottom ones didn't have much power either.

I'd say go with just the bottoms but make them good and strong. I can't see any off the shots suffering.

Just curious, what voltage do Hankin flipper coils run on?

It's around 24v I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So Gottlieb coils could go straight in. Nothing wrong with Hankins but you have a big variety with the major brands and a heap easier to get and probably stronger. I don't remember a Hankin ever having really good strong flippers to tell you the truth.

So Gottlieb coils could go straight in. Nothing wrong with Hankins but you have a big variety with the major brands and a heap easier to get and probably stronger. I don't remember a Hankin ever having really good strong flippers to tell you the truth.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but John's Arcade sells Hankin coils made by Homepin. I'm using a mix of Homepin/Hankin and Gottlieb coils in the Thomas pinball.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk