Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bartronica what are you doing?

1UP in Brisbane has a bunch of SHMUP stuff, including some CAVE boards such as Progear. It's the only place I know of in Australia with a focus on 90s arcade stuff, so lots of SHMUPS.

Sadly, no food or drinks, which sucks.

Have these guys been around for long? Looks like a great place, good to see it can still do well only being 15mins from netherworld which has a bar :) must be alot of old school gamers up there. Will have to check it out when I head up to Kong off later this year.

Have these guys been around for long? Looks like a great place, good to see it can still do well only being 15mins from netherworld which has a bar :) must be alot of old school gamers up there. Will have to check it out when I head up to Kong off later this year.

They opened in mid 2017. The owner is a member on here, but doesn't post a whole lot. He's said before that this is kind of a passion project for him and all he wanted was to setup a massive arcade for people to come and play old school games. It's literally just a giant warehouse floor with a shitload of machines, so it goes for a very different market than Netherworld. I just took an excursion of 23 Year 9 kids there and they loved it. Heaps have said they want to go back again during the holidays.

They opened in mid 2017. The owner is a member on here, but doesn't post a whole lot. He's said before that this is kind of a passion project for him and all he wanted was to setup a massive arcade for people to come and play old school games. It's literally just a giant warehouse floor with a shitload of machines, so it goes for a very different market than Netherworld. I just took an excursion of 23 Year 9 kids there and they loved it. Heaps have said they want to go back again during the holidays.

That's awesome, would love that down here in Vic. Maybe it's time :) all I need now is a shitload of games and I'm set

Yeah, this discussion has been had many times before. I really like what 1UP is trying to do (I would love to see it work in Melb as well) but at the end of the day it couldn't be that profitable. For it to have a slight chance, you need to have a good location (especially if you are not going to be a licensed venue). I am sure if 1UP was in the CBD, or at least South Bank for example, he would be seeing a lot greater turn over than he does. A major part of Bartronica's success is due to their location, that's why other gaming/bar venues have come and gone in Melbourne already. Bartronica would be bigger if they could, but space is a premium and I am sure that's why 1UP is in a warehouse out in Morningside.

Having a passion project is all well and good (if you have got disposable funds) but the average person needs to pay a mortgage and going into a venture like this would set you back years if it doesn't come off.

With all that being said, I will definitely try and visit 1UP next time I'm up, I like what they are trying to do.

Heck if I won Tattslotto, I would probably start the same thing [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

I heard a rumor has it (maybe) in Vic that could be a "Little Tokyo" opening soon which the owners are trying to find a decent location and space to hold over 25 candy cabs plus dedicated (Japan) cabinets.

All take time..They have a location in the city which suits there needs but the council is holding back in paperwork.;)

With all that being said, I will definitely try and visit 1UP next time I'm up, I like what they are trying to do.

What are they trying todo? seems they are doing exactly what they intended todo.

Its on my list of places togo for a while, the place looks amazing, I hope they do really well and the arcade community gets behind places Like 1UP.

Here is a link to their webpage to any one reading. http://www.1uparcade.com.au/

---------------------------

What are they trying todo? seems they are doing exactly what they intended todo.

Its on my list of places togo for a while, the place looks amazing, I hope they do really well and the arcade community gets behind places Like 1UP.

Here is a link to their webpage to any one reading. http://www.1uparcade.com.au/

---------------------------

Haha. I am fairly sure they are trying to emulate the Galloping Ghost model. Hence the word "trying". They have done a lot right so far though from what I can see.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick bit of information on Bartronica - I went there last friday night before a catch up with mates and bumped into my ol' teammate Nigel @Arcadinator. I got a pleasant surprise to see that the monitors for both Galaga and TMNT had been replaced. Galaga in particular on the Namco museum compilation (with Mappy and Xevious) looks so fresh and clear. Previously it was getting pretty crazy and psychedelic with the screen effects, now it's a true pleasure to play. :)