Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Buying a new cabinet ?

Looking at doing up our Mr & Mrs Pacman - the cabinet is a hot mess and needs to be re-stenciled. Anyone familiar with this table will know that its a pain in the ass as the cabinet was made out of a chipboard, so when you try to sand, it flakes & breaks away. We had considered bogging it and then sanding it but as the body is in pretty poor condition I consider it to be less that sturdy, we were spitballing the idea of just buying a new empty cabinet that is not chipboard and moving the whole table into that to solve the issue.

Can this be done? Anyone see any pitfalls to this? Also, what is the best/cheapest way to get getting a empty cabinet in decent condition - happy to sand any old stuff of it

It plays well as it is, so what you really need to do is buy more pinballs so that they are so close together that you can't see the side of the cab :) I have used wood hardener on swollen mdf and think it should work on chipboard, it would be alot cheaper than getting a new cab made up.

Why don't you just make one?.

Probably the easiest part to make on a pinball is the cabinet. It is all the parts that go into the cabinet that you would have trouble making but you have all those from the old cabinet.

I wouldn't go overboard doing all the dovetail joints myself on every corner just 45 degree joints and use angle brackets along with these leg brackets....http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/cabinet/legs/01-11400-1.html

instead of these stupid things that offer no strength in holding the cabinet together on the corners in fact if the legs are overtightened, they wedge the inside of the cabinet corners apart and the corners come apart over time as a result....

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/cabinet/legs/01-9296.html

Incredibly those first leg locating plates fit virtually straight in any Williams or Bally cabinet and is a common way I reinforce operator's machines when they start to come apart along with Liquid nails underneath them and in the crack before clamping and attaching them.

I would have more faith in a cabinet made from plywood glued with Liquid Nails and reinforced by steel brackets than an original cabinet. I have seen to many break apart all on there own over time to think the original design was the best way it could be done.

More of a case of cheapest way I think especially when it comes to Bally and Williams use of particle board in some of there cabinets and the use of those second leg brackets in the corners.

If you are unable to cut the wood pieces accurately take your plywood to a cabinet maker and get him to cut the wood for you.

It plays well as it is, so what you really need to do is buy more pinballs so that they are so close together that you can't see the side of the cab :) I have used wood hardener on swollen mdf and think it should work on chipboard, it would be alot cheaper than getting a new cab made up.

why-not-both.jpg.db30e355ecbd36e72dd205b2eaedc354.jpg