Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Asteroids

Hi Guys,

Its taken me best part of 40years - on the 25th May - I finally smashed the million points on Asteroids.

Walked away at 1.5million.

I recently purchased an original Upright Asteroids with Braze multigame/high score

through John at Johns Arcade - big shout out to John ,great work in restoring it, and made me very happy.

been chipping away a few games a weekend since Xmas.

I'm no John McAllister - in fact how can someone play a game for 3 days.

1 million points is 2 hours and very taxing. I'll probably do 2 million once and that will be enough.

In the last 3 weeks Ive improved my scoring from 450k an hour to 500k

dying less and saving a few more rocks so I can get more UFOs before new asteroids sets.

I am trying for a whole screen of ships but would need a big score for that and I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Can get to 25ish and then drop a bunch - back and forth, but can cruise through the Ist million with 10-15 no worries now.

Anyway no one to share this with except you guys - my wife doesn't get it- the kids are PlayStation 4, so don't get it - just you guys!

I'm thinking of doing a video of it next time - maybe add some words to say how i do things

- how do people do it for the video games?

Anyway looking for ward to the next ones - yes John has a couple more for me to get stuck into - cant wait!

Attached a few pics of my set up and scores.

IMG_5187.thumb.jpg.4acfcf3cf1ae7e573941e9d31d8273a0.jpg

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.181784cd650528e4bfbff7e398d42c06.jpg

IMG_5172.thumb.jpg.af078a99b287639cf6a9b1cf2bfe001c.jpg

IMG_5190.thumb.jpg.df1be75f92bb5fdc60ac6d1b35b42899.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a video of it next time - maybe add some words to say how i do things

- how do people do it for the video games?.

I've never done arcade games, but I've been playing around streaming pinball on Twitch for a bit and I'd guess there's a bit of overlap.

You could use a laptop, OBS (free), a webcam or two, and maybe a microphone.

Just a single camera at the right point behind you would work. A laptop cam might be good enough and is certainly enough to have a play with. You'd end up with a video like:

asteroids.jpg.f9aaf4432ae9b455198d25b8cd1eff71.jpg

I find when you can't really see the player it's pretty dull to watch, so I'd use at least 2 cameras. I'd mount one on a microphone boom stand ($30) looking at the screen and the other somewhere looking back from the machine where we could see you. I use Logitech C922s; they were on special at jb a few months back for $120 or something, they do 60fps@720p and they have a 1/4" tripod mount on them which makes is easy to find mounts for them (eg. camvate super clamp magic 360 head knock off $10 from China). Super simple layout would just be the two camera feeds side by side so the players could see your face and the screen at the same time. This is something I just cobbled together in OBS using images from google, very rough, but you get the idea:

screenshot.thumb.jpg.81767a9541e4535ec7396887db7fc868.jpg

If the background is pretty plain, you could use Chromacam to remove the background of the player cam and overlay that onto the screen cam. If you want that effect, but the background is busy and Chromacam doesn't cope, a green screen of some kind would help. I've not played with that stuff too much so I don't know how it'd work out just handing a plain sheet up or something. This is the kind of effect I mean:

screenshot001.thumb.jpg.81260abe55775b3834731b941dbfdc88.jpg

If it's useful, a third camera could just show the control panel for what you're doing with your hands.

If you were nearby, I'd just pop over with my gear, but I'm more than happy to help out remotely as much as I can.

Fantastic achievement Hamod well done :D

I am also a big fan of Asteroids and it was in fact the first dedicated arcade game I bought about 8 years ago, I decided on Asteroids after playing many original arcade games at the GameOn exhibition that came to Launceston around that time.

I had been playing mame since it's early days and was happy with that and didn't see the need to have any dedicated cabs, but after much thought I decided to buy Asteroids as vector games just don't look as good with mame and having the correct controls is important also.

I was initially worried that I would quickly get too good at Asteroids and be able to clock it and get bored, I was very wrong, I played and played and could not even crack 100k, from memory my high is about 70k :rolleyes

I would be very interested in your video and tips, but I don't think it would really help me, who knows perhaps I might get inspired to have another crack at it.

Later I bought a Space Duel cocktail and a Defender upright, I have my Defender and Asteroids next to each other just like yours. I bought those for the same reasons, dedicated controls and better on original cab than mame. Defender has become my most favorite video game ever :cool:

I remembered watching a kid clock Defender in the 80s and was in awe of his skills. I played my cab for hours and hours each week for about 18 months until I clocked it at default settings which is my best video game achievement ever.

If you are going to try for 1mill on Defender next I would recommend joining the Williams Defender Players Unite facebook group, plenty of awesome players and even some of the game developers in the group.

Here is a video I made of one of my games, mostly to have my own record of it, I just used my phone sitting on a small tripod next to me, I would not use this as a training video there are players with much better technique for that. Since the video I have changed my style of play and try to save as many humanoids as I can, I enjoy playing that way more, but killing them off is safer.

Thanks all-

ajfclark - thanks - appreciate your ideas - may give it a go. I'd like to preserve some gameplay for my own records - this looks a good way to go..

ill check it out- appreciate the post. It may take me a while but i'll have a crack.

Rat - thanks as you know its just practice and more practice - I find online/streaming videos good but the players just have such an intimate knowledge of the game that they move or do something that only they know- so i would like to add verbal commentary to the video to tell why. I'm sure pointers like these will help someone go further than just watching and trying to figure out why someone does it his way. I'm sure this would help you to the next step too.

Its pretty simple - great control of your spaceship and then some form of technique - same as defender id presume...

RE: Defender- I find it soooo hard - I'm only in 116k at the moment.

- but that's next on the list - been too busy on asteroids. I watched your video - its always awesome to watch someone who is great at an arcade game - you smashed it- make it look very easy....1 million is super awesome gameplay. its a long way away for me I know... one day.

Congrats Hamod! I'm pumped to get 40k on this game, it gets so hard so quickly. Multiple scores of 1 million+ on what can be such a brutal game is an enormous Arcade achievement :023:

Sweet line of up cabs too.

Hi Guys,

Its taken me best part of 40years - on the 25th May - I finally smashed the million points on Asteroids.

Walked away at 1.5million.

I recently purchased an original Upright Asteroids with Braze multigame/high score

through John at Johns Arcade - big shout out to John ,great work in restoring it, and made me very happy.

been chipping away a few games a weekend since Xmas.

I'm no John McAllister - in fact how can someone play a game for 3 days.

1 million points is 2 hours and very taxing. I'll probably do 2 million once and that will be enough.

In the last 3 weeks Ive improved my scoring from 450k an hour to 500k

dying less and saving a few more rocks so I can get more UFOs before new asteroids sets.

I am trying for a whole screen of ships but would need a big score for that and I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Can get to 25ish and then drop a bunch - back and forth, but can cruise through the Ist million with 10-15 no worries now.

Anyway no one to share this with except you guys - my wife doesn't get it- the kids are PlayStation 4, so don't get it - just you guys!

- how do people do it for the video games?

Anyway looking for ward to the next ones - yes John has a couple more for me to get stuck into - cant wait!

Attached a few pics of my set up and scores.

Great score hamod, and that's a nice line up! The next two games will slot in nicely with those titles :D

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Fantastic achievement Hamod well done :D

I am also a big fan of Asteroids and it was in fact the first dedicated arcade game I bought about 8 years ago, I decided on Asteroids after playing many original arcade games at the GameOn exhibition that came to Launceston around that time.

I had been playing mame since it's early days and was happy with that and didn't see the need to have any dedicated cabs, but after much thought I decided to buy Asteroids as vector games just don't look as good with mame and having the correct controls is important also.

I was initially worried that I would quickly get too good at Asteroids and be able to clock it and get bored, I was very wrong, I played and played and could not even crack 100k, from memory my high is about 70k :rolleyes

I would be very interested in your video and tips, but I don't think it would really help me, who knows perhaps I might get inspired to have another crack at it.

Later I bought a Space Duel cocktail and a Defender upright, I have my Defender and Asteroids next to each other just like yours. I bought those for the same reasons, dedicated controls and better on original cab than mame. Defender has become my most favorite video game ever :cool:

I remembered watching a kid clock Defender in the 80s and was in awe of his skills. I played my cab for hours and hours each week for about 18 months until I clocked it at default settings which is my best video game achievement ever.

If you are going to try for 1mill on Defender next I would recommend joining the Williams Defender Players Unite facebook group, plenty of awesome players and even some of the game developers in the group.

Here is a video I made of one of my games, mostly to have my own record of it, I just used my phone sitting on a small tripod next to me, I would not use this as a training video there are players with much better technique for that. Since the video I have changed my style of play and try to save as many humanoids as I can, I enjoy playing that way more, but killing them off is safer.

HI Rat. Whem I was 16 I clocked Defender regularly, and one time got 3.5 million and only stopped because somebody stole my 10 speed racer from out the front of the milk bar. It took me at least 30 minutes to destroy all my ships and smart bombs, I was so far ahead. Who knows how much I would have got to. It seems to average out to 1 hour per million. Also I wasn't one of these people who held there men while flying along, or try and destroy there land on purpose, I didn't know any of that back then? On Packman we worked out patterns over time to advance ourselves to get to the keys easier. Back then we had new machines coming along what seemed to be monthly and once we got good at something, we moved on. I haven't played my Defender for a couple of years because it hasn't worked. To busy with pinball machines, but will get back, but when I was playing, struggled to get over 100k? Either too old, too much alcohol, or no practise? Who knows, but would like to be good again and also want that Asteroids next to it too. Another must have for me. I'm 53, so thats the right age to know all these wonderful pinball and arcade machines. Thanks, Wazza.

Hi Guys,

In between world cup soccer watching I played a few games to a million this week...

I kept going last night to 3.3mill (7 hours worth), as i have a new machine coming soon so this will sit idle shortly :(

Lucky my wife quickly videoed me around 1.6million, I missed kids bedtime - (bad dad)

and I did the final at 3million. 50+ ships across the screen...

check it out!