Thread: MAME comp

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

MAME comp

After Listening to what people have been saying and taking my own thoughts into account I am considering starting a series of MAME competitions
    this is NOT CONNECTED TO THE MGL in any way shape or form and would be a slap happy snapshots only series.

Thing is there is no point in doing this if there is not enough interest so now is the time to speak up if you want to play

I have a plan and structure in mind but I also want to hear what you guys/girls want so please voice any ideas you might have

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)
    Iím keen. Not sure on the structure but a good mix of classics, 80s and 90s games would be good.
    Canít really relate to a lot of the games being played in mgl as theyíre before my time

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_roberts13 View Post
    Can’t really relate to a lot of the games being played in mgl as they’re before my time
    That is a large part of the reason i have been thinking about doing this

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    I'll play, but i couldn't do anything until mid July onwards, I'm packing up the mancave getting ready for an interstate move. I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)
    Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.
    Rather than limiting it to certain versions of mame, dip switch settings, etc.
    Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.
    Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways
    Sure but I think a lot of multi boards donít have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.
    So far It will be games selected by me from open nominations with no real restruction on year however I dont want to use any newer games that need anything more than a billy basic computer to run.

It will be factory dips.

Any version of MAME or multi board will be fine (so long as the dips can be set)

- - - Updated - - -

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels.
    Agreed

Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers
    I thought the Pandoras box multi was just MAME with a front end anyway?

may have to look into that on a case by case bases

the goal is to be as inclusive as possible

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers
    the multiboards like 60-1 rrun at mame defaults, that's why defaults is the best choice to include everyone.

Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

.Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.
    Originally I did want to run games from just 85 to 95 but that is not what people want so it will be open
    Ill ask for nominations in a certain theme and the games with the most nominations will be picked.
    this will probably be done in an dedicated thread to keep it all transparent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information