Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Hi All, i decided to build a retro pie and have approx 6 games working with mame. I am trying to get galaga working but i have read i need rom set 0.78 is this correct, I know it will take me a while to download the games i want and the bezel,overlays to install but i think they look fantastic, is retro pie the way to go or should i be using something else maybe hyperpie.

cheers paul.

Hyperpie is an add on to retropie to make it look awesome, you can download images easy enough that are all setup with roms and video clips, with galaga ;)

Awesome build with the dk it looks great, im just playing with hardware and software at the moment until i decide what cab i may do. So when you say you can download images easy enough that are all setup with roms and video clips is this done through hyperpie once it is installed, sorry as i am a bit of a newb to emulators as i normally do pinball.

cheers paul

- - - Updated - - -

OK i see you can purchase sd car with approx 10,000 games wow, I will probably only install 20 of my favourite games so i wouldn't go down that track.

Anybody know and easy way to get the roms on the thing? I've tried usb but not having much luck.

grab 'linux file systems for windows' by paragon software. means you can both read and write to the linux partition from within windows. by far the easiest method i found for editing my retropie setup.

just remember to dismount your microsd through the software and not just windows, or the changes wont save.

Anybody know and easy way to get the roms on the thing? I've tried usb but not having much luck.

I normally setup the pi on wifi network and then jump on the computer find it and just dump roms in the correct folders, not as quick as usb but if you can't do usb :)

Or just download a loaded up image, I did that for my hyperpie setup as I was lazy this time round.

Yep definitely use Paragon. It allows you to simply view/copy/paste etc the SD card as per normal on a Win PC.

I haven't used Retropie in a while so the following info may be outdated... Typically you would just insert a USB flash drive with your roms placed within a specific folder structure and once inserted this would automatically transfer the roms from USB to the SD card inserted into the Pi. You can also configure an option to run roms from an external USB hard drive as opposed to SD.

Be careful what you wish for, i have had nbn for a month and on average its slower than my adsl2 - im changing back.

I connected the pi to wifi and use explorer on my computer to transfer files, just type in \\retropie in the explorer browser, i then used arcade manager to automatically download overlays that look fantastic on the wide screen.

I must say i got moon patrol working and it plays and looks so good, the last time i played it was on a games family machine and i was disapointed, retropie is fantastic for what it is.

I also found this site for roms - https://archive.org/details/MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

cheers paul

Well I don't have ANY internet options right now.

New house so no ADSL unless I pay a $400 line connection fee to Telstra. Why bother when traditional phone lines are nearing obsoletion.

No NBN despite a box already being installed on the outside of my house, which they made a big mess of a new once nicely rendered wall. Every house on the opposite side has NBN but for whatever reason our side of the road misses out.

Can't get wireless internet through someone like Uniti due to no signal.

Well I don't have ANY internet options right now.

New house so no ADSL unless I pay a $400 line connection fee to Telstra. Why bother when traditional phone lines are nearing obsoletion.

No NBN despite a box already being installed on the outside of my house, which they made a big mess of a new once nicely rendered wall. Every house on the opposite side has NBN but for whatever reason our side of the road misses out.

Can't get wireless internet through someone like Uniti due to no signal.

Sattelite ? that's what i'm considering for our new place.

We're moving from city to regional coastal area and internet downgrade is going to hurt! i've currently got a vdsl2+ fibre-optic connection, download at 10MB / s for the last few years now, it eats modern NBN speeds. Where we are moving adsl2+ is the only option (no naked options meaning you gotta pay telstra $27 a month for the privilege of line rental) till NBN comes next year, but from the amount of NBN dissapointment stories, i'm strongly considering sattelite through skymuster. seems cheap, no setup, and a decent speed and allowance.