Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottelib System 3 Alpha Numeric Display Ghosting Problem

Muzac

Question

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can help please!

I wanted to change the lithium battery in my Cactus Jacks and discovered that it was attached to the holder.

In my attempt to remove it one of the battery holder contacts snapped and so I have soldered it back together for now. I realise I have to replace the holder and will be ordering it soon...

The machine boots up and seems to be working fine but the display is behaving strangely. It is displaying the text and scores but is also ‘strobing’ or ‘ghosting’ across the display.

Is this caused by a weak connection to the battery or has something else failed in the process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Zac

[ATTACH]131053[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

10 answers to this question

Update: Found an old post on pinside that points to the ‘yellow tantalum capacitor’ on the display board being the cause.

There appears to be a number of them however, so I guess I’ll start testing.

Any hot tips for testing these particular capacitors?

Also, I’ve since realised the photo isn’t particularly helpful. What’s occurring in this pic is there is a ghost light to the far left and right of the text “HELPFUL HINTS” that is pulsing in time with text. It’s happening on both lines.

Thanks for your reply mate, I have done that but with no luck. It would make sense too because I removed the board/connectors for the first time since I’ve owned it to investigate this problem and there wasn’t an issue prior to that.

I’ve also since discovered that testing tantalum capacitors with a DMM is a difficult (if not futile) task.

Besides replacing the battery holder I’m not so sure how to approach this one. Replacing all the caps on the display board without knowing if they are the problem seems a bit over the top....

From memory there are a total of 3 caps on the display board itself? Once your there it's not too much effort to just do them all. I looked into the issue and all signs point to the caps, with one documented instance of it being that yellow one. Seems too coincidental this problem showing up after other board work being done though.

Thanks again for your time mate, much appreciated.

There are 7 caps on the display board and they are all yellow [emoji848] Six of them are small ones and there is one larger one (which so far I’ve been unable to find online).

The machine was on when I was going to replace to battery (to retain high scores) and I know now that System 3’s apparently don’t like booting up without a battery so I fear it may have sent a problem down the line?

I owned a Williams Hurricane for years and replacing the battery was a breeze....

Anyway, I’ll get the bits and crack out the soldering iron.

Cheers again.

SECOND UPDATE:

I have changed the bigger caps (C6 & C7 ) with no luck[emoji853]

I’ll press on with the other five if the issue isn’t resolved when I replace the battery/holder.

Also noticed another odd issue that’s only started since this problem. If the knocker knocks more than once in a row it gets stuck in loop and continually knocks until you turn off the machine.

It’s all very annoying, not sure how it’s related to the battery holder but hopefully it will also be fixed with a battery change.......

UPDATE:

Finally got the parts (and a new soldering iron) and replaced all the caps but the problem still remains. [emoji853]

Also replaced the battery holder which seems to be working correctly.

Looking at the board, the diode VR1 (bottom right corner) looks to have been replaced in the past, wondering whether that could be the problem?

If any has any bright ideas that would be much appreciated!

FINAL UPDATE:

HUZZAH! Problem fixed!

Thought I’d post, just in case anyone else has the same issue, it did turn out to be diode VR1 on the display board!

Appreciate all the help “4_amusement_only”. [emoji16]

Let the trouble free pinball commence!🤞