Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Best colour for LED buttons

Hi all,

Just looking for advice RE best colour for LED buttons, as have reservations about blue leds being to bright compared to a green or red?

Cheers

Welcome to AA.

The arcade boys will give you some ideas, I'm sure.

I think there outside playing ATM:)

• Administrators

If you're talking about play buttons, then any of them will be reasonably bright, colour won't matter. I generally don't go for LED's as they are not classic in shape or feel so will really depend on what you're after. Brightness will not be a factor imo.

Brad

Cheers Brad, suppose I wasn't specific enough... I'm currently working on a stand up cab with an old pc, LG flatron, and going down the rabbit hole of control panel sticks, buttons etc. And have seen pics of button layouts and the blue led buttons were really bright compared to the green...

• Administrators

Technically speaking blue light is not lots brighter than the others but the way the human eye perceives it is so they DO in fact appear much brighter than say green, red or yellow.

To quote one article:

the eye's lens cannot focus sharply on the blue lights. While red or green light is focused precisely onto the retina, blue light is focused slightly in front of it, which causes a distracting halo around bright blue lights.In addition, blue scatters more widely than other colors as it passes through the eyeball, Sliney said. Together, these two effects cause the intense blue light from a point source, like an LED, to spread out across the retina, interfering with other parts of the scene. It's called dispersion: Blue's shorter wavelength makes it refract at a greater angle than, say, red or green.

Also, human vision becomes far more sensitive to blue when ambient light levels are low, a phenomenon known as the Purkinje shift. So a blue light that is merely eye-catching on a brightly lit store shelf can become dazzling when the lights are low, such as when watching a movie on a laptop in a dimly lit room.

Brad