Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

need help with monitor picture

jaredjames

Question

Im having problems with the picture on my arcade monitor

it has a 20 in 1 in it the menu screen should be solid blue

but has 3 vertical strips blue green and red(it isnt a board problem im using this one becouse it shows the problem clearly)

IMG_20180609_040752.jpg

IMG_20180609_040318.jpg

im wondering if this is a problem with the tube or the chassis has anybody seen this before?

IMG_20180609_035333.jpg

14 answers to this question

How did you do the degaussing? Because that looks very much like a degaussing issue. Wave the wand in circles near the monitor as you hold the degaussing button and then keep holding the button as you slowly pull it away.

If that doesn't fix it, turn the cabinet 90 degrees in one direction and see if the colours change, also ensure the cabinet is not near any large sources of electrical interference.

yes it was like this when i got it. i was wondering if it was the yoke the picture on the screen is on a slight angle as well.

ive tried using the degaussing wand a couple of times like advised but never really does much.

if the yoke has moved or sliped how hard is that to fix?

yes it was like this when i got it. i was wondering if it was the yoke the picture on the screen is on a slight angle as well.

ive tried using the degaussing wand a couple of times like advised but never really does much.

if the yoke has moved or sliped how hard is that to fix?

The image being on a slight angle is really common on arcade monitors and can be fixed by turning the yoke slightly in one direction. Most people just leave it, unless it's really tilted. Yours look no worse than others I have seen.

Yoke adjustments are not for the faint of heart, I avoid them entirely. They are so easy to stuff up, unless you really know your stuff. Your best bet would be to find someone local to you who knows how to make yoke adjustments. If you've never done it, and don't know much about CRTs, I would advise staying away from the yoke.

Check whether the issue is actually due to the tube not being mounted totally level, or whether you can fix the issue by rotating it on the bolts a bit. There is often quite a lot of slack in the mounting so you can probably get 5 degrees worth or rotation just using a screwdriver.

Could also be that the bezel isn't totally level either, giving the illusion that its the tube.

But yes - your colour issue is classic deguassing problem.

Looks like a massive purity issue TBH, like the yoke has come loose. Should be fixable, but I doubt rotating the tube will do much. It probably needs to be set up again. From about 9:15 shows your issue, but watch the whole video from the start if you're going to attempt it. And make sure you know how to discharge the tube, just in case.

thanks heaps yea ifound other videos the first one he thinks its a bad degaussing problem

[video=youtube;Gjdm-OMNOyw]

and in the next video he shows it was a moved yoke but dosnt clearly show how to fix it

so i loosened the yoke and moved it closer and it seem to help i didn't want to do to much as i had no one watching the screen to guide me

i connected a neo geo to it becouse it has test patterns and this is what i found

firstly there is a bit of color on the sides

S1760002.jpg

and it also looks like the colors dont line up mainly on the sides

S1760003.jpg

could it be the rings on the neck have slightly moved? theres no glue on them and im pretty sure

this machines been banged around a bit

S1760010.jpg

you can seen in gameplay

S1760015.jpg

also on the color scree green and red dont show well could this be from moved yoke or convergence rings

S1760004.jpg

any help or ideas would be great

S1760012.jpg

Moving the yoke messes with the convergence pretty badly, and sort of the with the geometry too. It's not really possible to move the yoke more than a nudge without starting from scratch like in the video I posted. There are too many factors, and it's totally an art rather than a science. If you're lucky, a slight jiggle can fix it if it's gone out of alignment, but if not, the setup has to be done from the start.

Those convergence/purity rings are held in place by the ring further down the neck pushing up against them, the grey ring thing between them and the screw-clamp. It will unscrew if you want to move them. So no, they probably haven't moved with respect to the yoke.