Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Disposing of old HDDs

Hi all,

I have a few old computer hard drives that are all faulty. I am not sure what is on them but they could contain personal information, so I would like them to be destroyed. Is there a way of wrecking them myself, or somewhere I can take them to be wrecked?

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi all,

I have a few old computer hard drives that are all faulty. I am not sure what is on them but they could contain personal information, so I would like them to be destroyed. Is there a way of wrecking them myself, or somewhere I can take them to be wrecked?

Cheers,

Matthew

Pros drill multiple holes through the platters. Either drill or beat platters with a hammer.

OK thanks, sounds like fun :D How do I dispose of the bashed drives?

Cheers,

Matthew

Same place you would dispose of other ewaste. Bin or local council collection point?

Cheers

Dave

Just use a wiping program that does a few passes. That will render any data unrecoverable to those unwilling to throw many hundreds of thousands of dollars at recovering anything.
Angle grinder or sander on each of the platers is faster and works better (government standard).

It's also way more fun.

• Administrators

We used to collect so there was enough to satisfy all our rage then take them to the car park and use a lump hammer on them. Best therapy ever!

Brad

We used to collect so there was enough to satisfy all our rage then take them to the car park and use a lump hammer on them. Best therapy ever!

Brad

Hammer mill is also listed as effective in the ISM.