Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PIN2DMD stopped working

After reinstalling window and visual pinball I had my virtual pinnie running great.

Used it a few times without issue and then started it last week and now I can't get my PIN2DMD working :realmad:

It can't find it at all. It has power and is connected to the PC.

I have tried power cycling, different USB ports but no good.

Any one have any advice??

Also I don't see pin2dmd with the colours bands appear on the screen on start up

After reinstalling window and visual pinball I had my virtual pinnie running great.

Used it a few times without issue and then started it last week and now I can't get my PIN2DMD working :realmad:

Also I don't see pin2dmd with the colours bands appear on the screen on start up

Can you access the back of the pin2dmd board to see if the little red LED's for power are lighting up on the board when you connect power ?

@OzStick is our resident Pin2DMD expert, he might know a bit more on what to check ?

Can you access the back of the pin2dmd board to see if the little red LED's for power are lighting up on the board when you connect power ?

@OzStick is our resident Pin2DMD expert, he might know a bit more on what to check ?

Here's what the bank looks like. The top red led is flashing (back red led in picture)20180610_153757.thumb.jpeg.9e9a83e4cbe83729b9e07b704a3f3019.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

What do you mean by "it can't find it at all"? Looking at your pic it's all good - everything seems to have power and there's nothing obviously wrong with your connections, so at worst you should be seeing the "test pattern" on the display.

What happens when you run PIN2DMD.EXE? If the unit is not being detected then you should get a pop up window saying something like "PIN2DMD Not Found". Maybe try running ZADIG to reinstall the driver.

What do you mean by "it can't find it at all"? Looking at your pic it's all good - everything seems to have power and there's nothing obviously wrong with your connections, so at worst you should be seeing the "test pattern" on the display.

What happens when you run PIN2DMD.EXE? If the unit is not being detected then you should get a pop up window saying something like "PIN2DMD Not Found". Maybe try running ZADIG to reinstall the driver.

The screen stays blank, no test pattern. When I run DMDtest I get nothing also. When I run the pin2dmd.exe application it opens up "pin2dmd v2.36 colorprism" program. I did try running ZADIG to redo the driver but I couldn't find pin2dmd listed in the devices. When pinballX runs I get the error message "pin2dmd not found" every time a dmd table comes up on the selection screen.

I'll try both suggestions. Is there a minimum spec required to run the pin2dmd? Would it run on a win 10 tablet for testing purposes?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

i reckon it should yeah, as long as the pin2dmd software supports windows 10 ? i'm still on W7 so not sure :unsure

Don't think there's a minumum spec- without a game rom or ultradmd controlling it, its pretty much just a couple banks of LED's doing nothing.

Are you certain the panel has power to it? The boards will light up like a Christmas tree just through the USB cable, however the panel itself required is own external supply. It may be as simple as that......

I run Pin2DMD on Win 10 Home 64bit so it should run on the tablet I'd say.

Like previous suggestions I keep my Pin2DMD plugged into USB. I think in z-Diag there's a list all devices option, from memory I needed to select that before I could see the hardware to install the driver for.

Another silly question, do you hear the Windows *Ba Dum* sound when you plug it in? It's the sound you often hear when a USB device is plugged in? I know when I have no power to my DMD I don't hear that noise when I plug it in and out, but if I restore power to it I'll hear the noise.

The way the power connector is on these boards I find the wires often slip out.

I'd be suspicious of power as well - as OzStick says, the PIN2DMD and Discovery boards will light up just with USB, but without working power Windows can't do anything with it and the panel won't display anything.

If you have some way to check it, test the power adapter for your PIN2DMD. Mine is very "loose" ... I can plug it into a powerboard, then turn the powerboard upside-down and the adapter just falls out. Or if I give the wire a tug I can pull the adapter from the board. The pins on the adapter look "thinner" than on other device's plugs, only by a fraction of a millimetre I think but it seems to be enough to stop the socket from gripping the pins. Maybe yours is the same and the pins just aren't making sufficient contact inside the socket.

whether or not the pin2dmd is connected via USB or not (unless the usb is the only source of power for the discovery board), and the panel has 5V power you will see the splash screen on the dmd. if there is no splash screen check your voltages to the panel, ribbon cables etc.

If the discovery board is dead, you will need another license for the new serial number (if using for a pinball) not sure if using just for v-pin.

If you really get stuck, you can send the discovery up to me and I will check it out.

Remember there are 2 x usb ports on these,

mini usb -> flash firmware and config

micro-usb -> the port used for pin2dmd editor.

Depending on the pin2dmd shield you are using there is also a jumper for usb power or external power, since your leds are on I am guessing this is fine.

good luck

So i checked the power and the neg fell out of the adapter. You beauty I thought. Wired it back up and nothing changed.

Tested the voltage and i have 5.2v at the adapter and screens.

When I plug and unplug the usb I get the windows sound but i can't see any new devices, can't find pin2dmd listed anywhere. Went to all devices in Z-Diag and could not find it listed either.

I think the biggest concern I have is that the splash screen isn't displaying

I think the biggest concern I have is that the splash screen isn't displaying

Yeah, that is a worry. Far as i am aware, regardless of drivers, usb etc, you should still get that splash screen when power is hooked up. Could be a board fault possibly brought on by your loose power connection... hopefully an easier fix than that. ...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app