Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bought some Sega consoles and games today

I bought a few Sega consoles with games today at a garage sale.

They were pretty cheap so I couldn't pass them by.

By the look of them I don't think that they have been played for a while.

Here is what I got:

2 X Sega Master System II consoles

535411509_2018-06-0915_01_45.thumb.jpg.d8c3fe7246f1c492b7ec94eec257c232.jpg

with about 20 games.

221071371_2018-06-0915_03_50.thumb.jpg.7f09159ead9372ecd8780bc84b15b9c3.jpg

2 X Sega Mega Drive 16 bit consoles

1005018320_2018-06-0915_00_39.thumb.jpg.25078464f863c9f540e3131211818910.jpg

with about 20 games

759959641_2018-06-0915_03_58.thumb.jpg.53c92d51d061654bc79c96bd1dc35749.jpg

2 X Sega Mega Drive II console, one with CD, no games

1359764816_2018-06-0914_59_58.thumb.jpg.855579bfc96b47ce17362c7c0964de87.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Sega consoles so I have a few questions.

- Are these worth anything?

- Are the SMS games compatible with the Mega drives consoles? I just looked at the cartridges and I would say not.

- They all have the RF unit for connection to the aerial, but can I get RCA adapter output from all the systems?

I think I have seen an adapter for the Mega Drive II, not sure on the others.

Few good titles with value there.

SMS and SMD are different consoles so wont play across each other natively, but you can get an adapter for the SMD that allows you to play SMS on it. The Sega CD, if working, will be your money. You need 2 PSUs to use the CD, cd one needs to be 10V

Cheers!

I bought a few Sega consoles with games today at a garage sale.

They were pretty cheap so I couldn't pass them by.

By the look of them I don't think that they have been played for a while.

Here is what I got:

2 X Sega Master System II consoles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130875[/ATTACH]

with about 20 games.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130876[/ATTACH]

2 X Sega Mega Drive 16 bit consoles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130877[/ATTACH]

with about 20 games

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130878[/ATTACH]

2 X Sega Mega Drive II console, one with CD, no games

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130879[/ATTACH]

I'm not familiar with the Sega consoles so I have a few questions.

- Are these worth anything?

- Are the SMS games compatible with the Mega drives consoles? I just looked at the cartridges and I would say not.

- They all have the RF unit for connection to the aerial, but can I get RCA adapter output from all the systems?

I think I have seen an adapter for the Mega Drive II, not sure on the others.

Master System II console's only output RF. Can easily be modded for composite, s-video and RGB though.

The Mega Drive 1 and 2 consoles natively output composite or RGB with the appropriate cable.

Can play Master System games on the Mega Drive with an adapter, either official or third party. Sadly these are pricey nowadays for no good reason.

MS2 consoles aren't worth much, neither are the games. Mega Drive 1 consoles are more desirable. The Mega CD 2 is worth the most coin.

Happy to mod one of the MS2 consoles for you, have done heaps of them.

Thanks for feedback.

As I don't have the adaptors or any CD's for the MD CD I might sell it.

I also don't even know if it works?

As i'll probably try and sell it on AA, any idea what's a reasonable price ?

Thanks for feedback.

As I don't have the adaptors or any CD's for the MD CD I might sell it.

I also don't even know if it works?

As i'll probably try and sell it on AA, any idea what's a reasonable price ?

The Mega CD will need to be tested if you want to get a decent price. The lasers on them are shoddy as shit and often die. You can test it by downloading and burning a Mega CD game, there is no copy protection on the Mega CD at all, so it's very easy to do and no modchip required. However, you'd need to track down a PSU first.

• Administrators
The Mega CD will need to be tested if you want to get a decent price. The lasers on them are shoddy as shit and often die. You can test it by downloading and burning a Mega CD game, there is no copy protection on the Mega CD at all, so it's very easy to do and no modchip required. However, you'd need to track down a PSU first.

I don't think he has the adapters and cables to test it.

The mega CD 2's are generally far more reliable than the 1's so chances are it may work but to get top dollar you really need to test it.

You have the correct power supplies already. I can spot one that is suitable for the Mega Drive 2, use this in the Mega CD 2. Then grab any of the other PSUs and use it in the Mega Drive 1. Dock the MD1 and MCD2 together and you're set. You have an RF cable there that can be used with the MD1. Can test with a music CD for now just to confirm some signs of life.

If in doubt post a close up pic of each PSU and I'll tell you what they belong to. The polarity differs beteeen the MS2/MD1 and MD2/MCD2 consoles however the plug size is different so you shouldn't be able to physically connect the wrong PSU.

You have the correct power supplies already. I can spot one that is suitable for the Mega Drive 2, use this in the Mega CD 2. Then grab any of the other PSUs and use it in the Mega Drive 1. Dock the MD1 and MCD2 together and you're set. You have an RF cable there that can be used with the MD1. Can test with a music CD for now just to confirm some signs of life.

If in doubt post a close up pic of each PSU and I'll tell you what they belong to. The polarity differs beteeen the MS2/MD1 and MD2/MCD2 consoles however the plug size is different so you shouldn't be able to physically connect the wrong PSU.

Thanks for the instructions.

I was able to plug the MD2 into the TV and get a game going, but no luck with the MCD2. I plugged in the 10v PSU and put a music CD in and it didn't spin when I closed the lid.

I assume that it should work straight away as I couldn't see a power switch or anything. The access light on the front is also not lit.

I did for sale on ebay a pico fuse replacement, just wondering if that could be the issue? Not sure the details though, just an idea.

I also tried the stand alone MD2 and the lights came on but it wouldn't launch a game. At least I have a MD2 console that works I guess.

Did you see the CD bios screen? From here you can use a controller to hit play from within the menu.

Did you utilise 2 x PSUs? One for the Mega Drive 2 console and the other for the Mega CD2.

- - - Updated - - -

Also make sure to have no game inserted into the Mega Drive 2 console.

When you power on the Mega Drive 2 console this will power the entire setup. You should see a splash screen and menu for the CD system.

Did you see the CD bios screen? From here you can use a controller to hit play from within the menu.

Did you utilise 2 x PSUs? One for the Mega Drive 2 console and the other for the Mega CD2.

Also make sure to have no game inserted into the Mega Drive 2 console.

When you power on the Mega Drive 2 console this will power the entire setup. You should see a splash screen and menu for the CD system.

When I powered on the system, the light for the MD2 came on but I didn't see anything on the screen. The access light on the MCD2 didn't come on either.

I did power both modules as you suggested.

After checking the net, thinking it might be a fuse?

After viewing a few youtube clips to see what the fuse looks like and where it is, I checked it and it was dead.

I will now have order a replacement.

I was looking at ebay and they are about $5 each, but I can get 5 from china for $3.38, but just have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it :(

At least things are looking promising :)

Just a thought, since these fuses seem to blow, would it be better to put in an in-line fuse, then it's easier to change in the future?

Edited by thejudge

After viewing a few youtube clips to see what the fuse looks like and where it is, I checked it and it was dead.

I will now have order a replacement.

I was looking at ebay and they are about $5 each, but I can get 5 from china for $3.38, but just have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it :(

At least things are looking promising :)

Just a thought, since these fuses seem to blow, would it be better to put in an in-line fuse, then it's easier to change in the future?

Tried jaycar?

Jaycar don't sell Picos.

@thejudge I've got 4 spare here. PM me your address and I'll drop one in the post tomorrow for you.

Thanks for the generous offer, much appreciated, but I ended up just ordering the ones from China as I'm in no hurry to get it working.

Also, after looking at another youtube video, I've have decided to have a go at modding the SMS myself to add the RCA plugs.

Just need a few bits and pieces that I can hopefully get from Jaycar.

I find that you learn more about things when you have to fix them :)

That's all good dude, I grabbed a bunch from Console5 a while back to keep spare just in case :)

The SMS composite mod is a nice one to cut your teeth on too, got me started on modding stuff and the results are pretty good considering. Definitely worth doing the 50/60hz switch mod while you're at it as well, SMS plays far better faster :D

That's all good dude, I grabbed a bunch from Console5 a while back to keep spare just in case :)

The SMS composite mod is a nice one to cut your teeth on too, got me started on modding stuff and the results are pretty good considering. Definitely worth doing the 50/60hz switch mod while you're at it as well, SMS plays far better faster :D

I haven't heard about the 50/60hz switch mod, i'll have to look that one up :)

I have switchelss 50/60Hz mod kits. :) Enables you to select 50Hz or 60Hz via holding down the pause button. Also adds a power LED which changes colour according to mode.

Also have my own designed video amp as I found the stock standard mod found on the net insufficient.

I have switchelss 50/60Hz mod kits. :) Enables you to select 50Hz or 60Hz via holding down the pause button. Also adds a power LED which changes colour according to mode.

Also have my own designed video amp as I found the stock standard mod found on the net insufficient.

I have seen a few videos, one which was a quick mod to pin 57 then a switch with 5v & grnd, then one that involves a kit. Probably the one you have.

Not sure how far I would go on this mod. How much is the kit and where do you get it?

I produce the kits myself. They cost $20 posted. They include a PCB populated with all the required components, a programmed PIC, wiring, LED, LED clip, foam adhesive pad etc.

It's not too daunting a mod. A few trace cuts and some minor soldering.

I produce the kits myself. They cost $20 posted. They include a PCB populated with all the required components, a programmed PIC, wiring, LED, LED clip, foam adhesive pad etc.

It's not too daunting a mod. A few trace cuts and some minor soldering.

Slightly off topic, but do you do atari 7800 s-video mod boards?

• 1 month later...