Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CPS2 SSF2 Graphical glitches

Hi guys, wondering if you had some input or suggestions as to what do next on this issue.

This is a Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers Aian A+B board: SSF2AR1 (Asia 930914)

cps2_4.jpg

Sound is ok but video is glitchy, see pictures:

cps2_1.jpgcps2_2.jpgcps2_3.jpg

This is what I have tried so far:

-Removed all socketted chips and cleaned chips and sockets with iso alcohol.

-Inspected board for corrosion and cold solder joints, all clean.

-Read all 6 labelled Eeproms with an eeprom programmer and verified the results against a MAME dump, all chips passed.

-Checked integrity of pins on the 4 connectors between A and B boards. no bend pins

-I do not have another Asian A or B board to swap and rule out the A board but assumed the issue should be with the B board

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

Ludo.

Edited by djcalle

Loose contact on any of the surface mount chips?

Cheers, all the smd chips solder joinnts looked clean to me, nice and shiny.

I'll have another look but i doubt i missed something. thanks for the suggestion

I have had this sort of problem with a bent pin on the pin banks that join the A and B boards

Cheers, I forgot to mention that I did check that, no pins are bent annd have ensured there's a good connection between the two boards

Have you tried pressing down on chips with your finger to see ig you can alter/eliminate the issue?

thanks, just tried pressing on all smd chips and joints. also tried applying pressure on different areas of the board and the 4 board connectors, no change...:(

Voltages are good? Capcom games can be very unforgiving woth the 5V feed.

Yes, it runs at 5.05V for me but it has been tested on multiple arcade PSUs before.

I'm successfully running a JP A+B with the same PSU. Thanks

CPS2 SSF2 Graphical glitches

Hi guys, jailbars means missing data somewhere.

If you're 100% sure there's no bent pins between A+B and you're also sure you verified/replaced all the EPROMs

Try pushing on the EPROMs to see if it gets any better, the sockets themselves may well not be making a good connection with the pins or the board

In particular try pressing down on each of the 4 27C4096 main program ROMs.

Edit: Super SF2 generally has a daughter board on top too, is yours removed for the photo or missing?

Edited by xodaraP

Hi guys, jailbars means missing data somewhere.

If you're 100% sure there's no bent pins between A+B and you're also sure you verified/replaced all the EPROMs

Try pushing on the EPROMs to see if it gets any better, the sockets themselves may well not be making a good connection with the pins or the board

In particular try pressing down on each of the 4 27C4096 main program ROMs.

Edit: Super SF2 generally has a daughter board on top too, is yours removed for the photo or missing?

Thanks a lot for the insightful response mate!

I did try ppreesing on each chip also areas of the board, couldn't get any difference at all..wondering if this could be the A board...

yes, good eye the daughter board was taken off for the picture. this board is sound only and the game works without it (same video glitched) just no sound.

Cheers,

Ludo

I've never seen a CPS2 A board faulty, it's possible but incredibly unlikely. Try another A board to rule it out, but I'm still thinking it's bad ROM sockets

Thanks, that helps.

The solder joints on the ROM sockets are all nice and clean. wondering what else I can do to troubleshoot these, short of replacing them, maybe I'll have a closer inspection of each female pin to see if there's anything fishy.

I bought a new blank 27C4096, so when it arrives I might also program it, test, erase for chips 03-07.

You need a scope now, to go hunting for points in the data path that are doing nothing.

Thanks, I have a scope and a logic analyzer but haven't learned how to use them, good opportunity to I guess.

I haven't been able to fin a service manual or schematics for this board so far, any idea where I could get my hands on it?

@djcalle remove chip ssf-20m of the board and fire it up to check if it does the same problem..Ive noticed a bent pin on the chip.

@dragonlee Cheers mate, I have tried removing ssf-20m and get the exact same results, I then put ssf-20m back and removed ssf-19m and again get the same results, not sure what these maskroms are doing. I guess I need to get my hands on a service manual to get some basic understanding of how these boards work

I don't believe there ever was a service manual for these, Capcom were always incredibly secretive about their hardware so they kept hold of any technical doco very tightly.

CPS2 is going to be a very hard board to learn on. First rule of board repair is not to practice on a board you care about, or one thats valuable, as you will likely destroy the first few.

Mask ROMs are almost certainly full of graphics data, these were made with the data already in (ie not programmed) as the data was not likely to ever need to be changed.

I don't believe there ever was a service manual for these, Capcom were always incredibly secretive about their hardware so they kept hold of any technical doco very tightly.

CPS2 is going to be a very hard board to learn on. First rule of board repair is not to practice on a board you care about, or one thats valuable, as you will likely destroy the first few.

Ah ok, makes sense, cheers. That board is a mate's, just trying to see if it is an easy fix. I might try to install a DarkSoft kit on since it is now non intrusive and reversible to see if the board can be used for that.

I'll also keep the original chips so it can be fully reverted should the board end up in the hands of someone more qualified than me to repair it at some point.

Mask ROMs are almost certainly full of graphics data, these were made with the data already in (ie not programmed) as the data was not likely to ever need to be changed.

Wondering if the issue could be with one of these being bad?

If the ROM sockets are faulty a Darksoft multi is going to have the same fault since it plugs directly into those very same sockets

I've got 2 with similar issues here I need to get around to fixing, and on both of those the issue is improved by applying pressure to the main program ROMs, which are the 27C4096 EPROMs on the left side of the board

If the ROM sockets are faulty a Darksoft multi is going to have the same fault since it plugs directly into those very same sockets

Yep that will be a good test to rule out either the chips or sockets. The DS kit is intended to be installed on another board so this will be just a test.

I've got 2 with similar issues here I need to get around to fixing, and on both of those the issue is improved by applying pressure to the main program ROMs, which are the 27C4096 EPROMs on the left side of the board

Good luck mate, hope you get them working