Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball & Heavy Metal

Hi all,

It seems there is a large contingent of Heavy Metal music fans on this forum, and the possibility of an Iron Maiden pin has got the fans excited. Not being a Heavy Metal music fan myself, it has got me wondering what it is about Pinball & Heavy Metal music that makes it such an attractive combination?

Cheers,

Matthew

It’s such a broad genre, but in a nutshell I’d say its energising and uplifting. People love Iron Maiden because their songs are tales, stories and journeys with generally catchy melodies. I don’t know music well enough to describe it but behind the “heavy” element there’s drum beats and bass that just makes one want to nod their head and move to the beat. It crosses over into other genres that make people want to dance and move - hip hop etc. Just watch any video of Nicko McBrain the drummer and he has a really catchy style going on. The really heavy stuff with the growling is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Gee I must be the odd bastard out then because I can’t stand heavy metal with a passion, I’d rather listen to Neil Diamond [emoji184] we’re actually seeing him in concert for the third time when he tours here in April and I’m 52

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, good question. I personally have never been into heavy metal music but have quite a few mates who are. I must admit, I have been listening to some heavy metal music and clips on You Tube and it's not as bad as I remember it. @Noob-A-Tron suggested Fear of The Dark - Iron Maiden.....not bad at all.

Gee I must be the odd bastard out then because I can’t stand heavy metal with a passion, I’d rather listen to Neil Diamond [emoji184] we’re actually seeing him in concert for the third time when he tours here in April and I’m 52

Same,well minus the Neil Diamond. Classing some of it as music is a bit generous too

It's definitely a thing though here,not so much on the american forums. just a reflection of the demographic

gdfg.png

this is maiden..and all 5 are of those guys are there in 2018

Geez, the hair - classic stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

oh god no..

try: number of the beast, piece of mind, seventh son of a seventh son, powerslave, brave new world, matter of life and death and the book of souls

Will give them a listen Tony - cheers.

Same,well minus the Neil Diamond. Classing some of it as music is a bit generous too

It's definitely a thing though here,not so much on the american forums. just a reflection of the demographic

gdfg.png

Don’t worry lol I listen to a lot of other stuff as well, it’s just that I could never get into the heavy metal Genres “to me it just sounds like loud noise not music” and every song sounds exactly the same

Technically Iron Maiden is not metal or at least not heavy metal. It use to be but is more rock these days.

Same can be said of Metalica. Early Metalica very much metal. Now more just heavy rock.

Not at all uncommon for metal bands to try to come more mainstream but that puts them in a genre the size of the ocean rather than a swimming pool and this becomes there downfall.

Metal music itself keeps evolving and adding new categories. Look here to see what I mean....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_genres

Of all these types I personally like about 5.

I like the lead guitar and metal is renowned for it's guitar. I can actually block out a shit voice and just enjoy the guitar.

What I do like about metal in general is much the same bands I was listening to 20-30 years ago are still making and playing metal today.

I like other forms of music but for other reasons.

Metal is the one that makes the heart beat for me and I well and truly understand why others don't like it.

It's a small group that follow such music especially in Australia.

My favourite metal bands are from Sweden, Denmark and Germany these days but it used to be Britain and the US so you can see tastes change but in saying that I can always sit back and listen to Ozzy.

German "Industrial Metal" played in Sydney 2001.

The Germans do churn out some good stuff.

I do listen to a fairly wide range of music though. Along with lots of 90s stuff I grew up with Nirvana, Bush, Pearl Jam, temple Pilots, etc. there's classical in my playlists, along with musicals, Disney, bits of pop, not much rap or hip hop though. Not much really heavy metal either as I like to be able to understand the lyrics.

Then I have loads of electronica which has as wide a range again, dreamy trance through to hard house, psytrace, minimalist techno, gabba, prog etc.

My musical tastes are pretty broad, but the only types of 'music' i can't stand are that hip hop, rap and techno crap, and a lot of that death metal.. the ones where when they sing (using the term loosely here) and sound.... i cant even to begin to describe what it sounds like but i'm sure you all know what i mean! gives me a sore throat just listening to it LOL, That and the guitars that sound like chainsaws and the amps are about to die!

I still love the old school rock/metal.. like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Alice Cooper etc etc, pre 80s Kiss, as well as bands from the 80s on like Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi just to name a few.

My music tastes even extend to country, even the older stuff and 50s 60s rock n roll, having grown up with it. My parents always had it playing on weekends when i was young so i kind of developed an appreciation for those as well.

Heavy Metal? Have listed to quite a few songs that have been suggested and I don't think I can be converted. I can tolerate it more today than I used to and I don't know why. I doubt the family will want to listen to it either. But am happy to sample any music. Either way, still keen to play a new Iron Maiden. I think the music suits playing a fast pin with plenty of good shots.

@felixthadog

What would you rather, pinball and boy band ballads?

Definitely ... I am still holding out for a New Kids On The Block pinball :laugh:

I am quite the oddball when it comes to music. I love lots of genres (Rock, Top 40, RNB, Techno, Reggae, Disco, Chillout) but when it comes down to individual artists/bands, I find that there are not that many full albums that I enjoy listening to. I prefer Greatest Hits albums and single tracks.

I must admit that I love most music-themed pins, I was just curious as to why people think Pinball & Heavy Metal music go together so well.

Cheers,

Matthew