Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Restoration of a Neo Geo 6 slot

Hi all,

I thought i'd post the restoration of my newly acquired Neo Geo 6 slot. Though the pictures would suggest otherwise it does power up but the yoke had a short and so the monitor doesn't work. Looking over the machine all appears to be there including the light panel for the marquee but the card reader's gone. The body's in ok shape given its age but the front door certainly has seen some hard times. The worst parts would be the bottom right of the door whereby it looks like someone's done a half done job of bogging it up and they just threw some red paint over it. The other bit would be around the lock. Though it doesn't look like much from the front the wood around the lock has been dug out pretty deeply (its visible when you open the door).

1095169953_FullSize.thumb.jpg.525535b30c59d86488d7f64e50bbdfef.jpg Inside.thumb.jpg.407fd7dcb57cdff1db27ae28babc063f.jpg 76813689_Controlpanel.thumb.jpg.60bc7cdc44049894481f7d912af968da.jpg 145037966_DamagedCoinDoor.thumb.jpg.dbf410d449f3b9b104c8381fafb96d9b.jpg 1088247778_Damagedsidepanel.thumb.jpg.06aba739f9a96eba1483fb9aceac8bbd.jpg

Just as a side note. When i went to pick up the machine i found i ended up scoring more than i thought. With a 6 & 4 slot boards, new sanwa joystick, 8 newer style gold leaf buttons and fatal fury cart thrown into the deal.

Hi all,

I thought i'd post the restoration of my newly acquired Neo Geo 6 slot. Though the pictures would suggest otherwise it does power up but the yoke had a short and so the monitor doesn't work. Looking over the machine all appears to be there including the light panel for the marquee but the card reader's gone. The body's in ok shape given its age but the front door certainly has seen some hard times. The worst parts would be the bottom right of the door whereby it looks like someone's done a half done job of bogging it up and they just threw some red paint over it. The other bit would be around the lock. Though it doesn't look like much from the front the wood around the lock has been dug out pretty deeply (its visible when you open the door).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130478[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]130480[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]130479[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]130481[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]130482[/ATTACH]

Just as a side note. When i went to pick up the machine i found i ended up scoring more than i thought. With a 6 & 4 slot boards, new sanwa joystick, 8 newer style gold leaf buttons and fatal fury cart thrown into the deal.

Nice pickup!

I like all the Australian Neo Geo cabs but this is the beast!

Score on the Fatal Fury cart... RARE[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice cab, shame they didn't look after it but good to see you restoring it!

I love all the little touches SNK put into these, stereo sound, credit counter, marquee that lights up the active game, headphone jacks, memory card slot!!

• 1 month later...

well its been a while so i thought its time for an update.

Since my last post a lots happened. As previously mentioned I've restored the front door as per the below pict. The door had numerous gouges and a half baked attempt to fix the door with body filler.

DSC_0467.thumb.jpg.17e84cb38e398f0d5b849080409dae0c.jpg

I managed to fill sand and smooth out the problems and found an almost exact match paint to respray the door. After painting and a couple of rounds of clear the door now looks like this.

DSC_0267.thumb.jpg.cc62ffb7f83f31ad67d2bdf4d07c0a87.jpg

After completing the door i decided to clean up the rusty cover were the power cord comes in and using vinegar i got the following results.

before:

DSC_0483.thumb.jpg.c61d23fdbdcad394cefe00e5e432d0a4.jpg

After the vinegar bath:

DSC_0488.thumb.jpg.1f31e970606abcfa557a30b28bfb7be8.jpg

And finally after the paint was applied:

DSC_0492.thumb.jpg.e51209e5752630999e2f329e02a07a40.jpg

• 4 months later...

If you search for EL panels on ebay, you can get similar light panels for the marquee lights. I'm not sure how they get powered, but i believe they're similar to what's in there originally. I will need some of those as well, as i'm pretty sure the ones in my cab are shot.

I haven't got time to get started on mine at the moment, but your thread has me excited to start ripping it apart! I think your cab is a larger screen than mine. Love these red neo cabs.

Just for reference, here's what the inside of my cab i picked up looks like. It's a 4 slot LAI, it's got all the wiring still there, and i believe the interior is original, with regards to the board shelf etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]154002[/ATTACH]

DSC_4464.thumb.jpg.8638589002962664bffee1a93614af94.jpg

Thanks for the info. On the top right hand side of your cab i believe is the part (sorry i cant remember the name of it) that controls the el panels. Mines missing hence why im going for the LED panels. But if i can ever find that part i'd certainly go the EL panel route.

The screen size of mine is 26" i had to use an old TV tube as the original one had shorted. But its still got a great picture. I personally love the neo geo's as well and really enjoy mine.

MV-ELA is the name of that board, it powers the marquee lights. It runs up to 2 other boards that have the lights on them.

Here's some pics just for reference.

DSC_4469.thumb.jpg.35fa4c757df87c0414fb02c4b8c2bbdd.jpg

Here's the panels in the cab, it's 2 panels for my 4 slot, they daisy chain the power.

DSC_4477.thumb.jpg.925c3555983349af1010b31a9e5428ee.jpg

DSC_4491.thumb.jpg.2047bfbdf0f67c146b056a545f6c9cec.jpg

You can get the replacement globes here. These are very close to the same size, and you can solder them onto the original boards.

http://glowhut.com/a6-electro-luminescent-panel-with-leads-and-connector/

I spent some time searching tonight and found this info, just thought I'd share for future reference!! It's a bit nerdy, but it's still fun! If you get the replacement, post it up, curious to see it!

Stu, thanks for the info. I always wanted to keep the original el panel but with the research i did the ones i was looking at were going to cost a lot more per unit. And thanks for letting me know the its a MV-ELA as well. I'll put a wanted ad and see what turns up. Just a FYI if your redoing the red on the cabinet, super cheap auto have a spray paint called Monza red which IMO is as close to the original as i believe you'll get.

I was contemplating touching up some small spots on mine, but i probably won't it's really good enough that i can keep it as is. I'll see what happens.

I also just ordered the overlay for the control panel noodleshirt $77 shippshipped, just ordered i so i can't comment on it yet, but i figured the price was ok!

Anyways, i will stop hijacking your thread now! Will get started on one of my own in good time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...