Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rowe Jukebox R-86 cycling transfer arm

RoweJukebox

Question

Hi all. I have spent far too much time researching and trying to fix to no avail.

My Rowe R-86 just cycles the transfer arm up and down and drops the record, picks it back, etc..

It is commonly said this means the custom chip is not responding.

Today I received the cdadapter.com modern replacement that replaces this unavailable chip.

It put it together and installed it, both correctly, and when I turn it on it does the same exact thing with a quick flash of the "activity" led on the new board. It's great that it offers "error troubleshooting" but not so great when it doesn't boot right to even get to that. :( My symptoms are the EXACT same as when I had the old chip in there. I get "100" showing on the selection display, with the "selection playing" light blinking. Nothing is turning on or locking on besides the transfer motor (which means the turntable is not spinning either). I have tested all the parts manually and they work great and as mentioned below I played with it all manually and got my fill of playing records by hand (removing the chip let me lock everything on) so everything works great in theory but is not being "requested" to be turned on.

It already had a socket installed so I am going to replace the socket with a brand new one (the one that came with it was kind of bad so I'm ordering one!) and see if that fixes anything but other than that I need help because it is clearly something much deeper on these boards.

I am suspecting perhaps a RAM chip or something of the sort. Lots of them are already socketed, which is great, but also tells me somebody else clearly already spent a lot of time trying to fix it and did not so that is a little discouraging, lol.

Please do not refer me to any "pay to repair" services as I am capable and just looking to know what to fix next.

Also, when I take the custom chip out and turn everything on, everything locks on. (Which is great for playing around with it by hand in the meantime if you disconnect the transfer motor!) Is this normal operation when the chip is not inserted or does it mean there is another problem that would cause something like that? Nonetheless, this quirk let me know all the wiring is good because it was then forcing them on just fine.

I have already reflowed all headers on the CPU board, mech control board, and the pricing board looks absolutely immaculate underneath so I left that alone and even resoldered some there too I think.

Thanks for your help.

6 answers to this question

Hi all. I have spent far too much time researching and trying to fix to no avail.

My Rowe R-86 just cycles the transfer arm up and down and drops the record, picks it back, etc..

It is commonly said this means the custom chip is not responding.

Today I received the cdadapter.com modern replacement that replaces this unavailable chip.

It put it together and installed it, both correctly, and when I turn it on it does the same exact thing with a quick flash of the "activity" led on the new board. It's great that it offers "error troubleshooting" but not so great when it doesn't boot right to even get to that. :( My symptoms are the EXACT same as when I had the old chip in there. I get "100" showing on the selection display, with the "selection playing" light blinking. Nothing is turning on or locking on besides the transfer motor (which means the turntable is not spinning either). I have tested all the parts manually and they work great and as mentioned below I played with it all manually and got my fill of playing records by hand (removing the chip let me lock everything on) so everything works great in theory but is not being "requested" to be turned on.

It already had a socket installed so I am going to replace the socket with a brand new one (the one that came with it was kind of bad so I'm ordering one!) and see if that fixes anything but other than that I need help because it is clearly something much deeper on these boards.

I am suspecting perhaps a RAM chip or something of the sort. Lots of them are already socketed, which is great, but also tells me somebody else clearly already spent a lot of time trying to fix it and did not so that is a little discouraging, lol.

Please do not refer me to any "pay to repair" services as I am capable and just looking to know what to fix next.

Also, when I take the custom chip out and turn everything on, everything locks on. (Which is great for playing around with it by hand in the meantime if you disconnect the transfer motor!) Is this normal operation when the chip is not inserted or does it mean there is another problem that would cause something like that? Nonetheless, this quirk let me know all the wiring is good because it was then forcing them on just fine.

I have already reflowed all headers on the CPU board, mech control board, and the pricing board looks absolutely immaculate underneath so I left that alone and even resoldered some there too I think.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to AA

It’s Been a while since I owned one but from memory there was a switch that told the Jukebox if it had missed a record and was trying to play nothing it would return the arm and try again. Check your tone arm for a switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to AA

It’s Been a while since I owned one but from memory there was a switch that told the Jukebox if it had missed a record and was trying to play nothing it would return the arm and try again. Check your tone arm for a switch

yes, it could be the reed switch

Thanks. I think I already did that. It is doing this when I turn the jukebox on immediately without doing anything else which makes me think it is a big issue and not that. Not sure if the reed switch will do that too.

But I will look into that further as well. Also I think the turntable would be spinning if that were the case?

If the Jukebox was turned off with selections still in its memory it will try play a record when you turn it on. Maybe try removing the battery and letting the memory reset

Also with these jukes if the battery is half flat every time you turn it on you can get shitty data in the memory even try turning it on without the battery connected and see what happens

I forgot to mention the battery has been unsoldered for a while. (and if you're worried about the memory staying - I mean - DAYS!)

The new board also has a built-in memory keeper so I didn't even bother to reinstall one by the time I got it. :(